Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Slater on Charlton Live..

edited March 2011 in General Charlton
Not sure if there is a post already.. Anybody want to sum up what was said?

Comments

• Nothing new, just listened to it on CharltonPlayer.
  • [cite]Posted By: I-SAW-POUSO-PLAY[/cite]Nothing new, just listened to it on CharltonPlayer.

did he sound positive and upbeat?

i'd like some feedback, if anyone is willing to do it, please?%-{>
  • Just listened to it myself...in a nutshell....looking to invest in new players but no monetary figures mentioned....he has become a Charlton supporter and didnt think he would when he took over....him and Jimenez had watched some games before the takeover and had identified where the team needed strengthening.....with CP for the longterm......recent results not been good and he understands that to get bums on seats we need a team that can compete for promotion....has a medium to long-term plan to get us back where we should be.....although he did mention towards the end of the interview (not quoted) he wants us to move upwards sooner rather than later...will try and get exact words and publish later on.
    Sounded positive throughout and gave me confidence that we are going to be pushing next year definately and that the right players would be sourced after conversations with CP and his wish list.
    Said a lot of the right things.....even not sleeping on Friday nights now because of the games on Saturdays...flew back from South Africa, landed at Heathrow on Tuesday morning....went to work...went back to Heathrow and flew to watch the Hatlepool game on Tuesday night....also went to Yeovil.
    Hope that gives some insight.....will try and quote his actual words towards the end of the interview a bit later on tonight/tomorrow.
  • Cheers Red.
  • As pomised just another couple of quotes taken from the interview for those that didn't/cant hear it...please note I've taken quotes to give a flavour of the interview with regards to the team....he did speak about other things as well as I mentioned above.

"It will be a summer re-building proesses" followed a bit later by "It will be the summer where it really starts to happen"

"Started to analysie (CP and Tony) what they see as the squad for next season......some familiar faces and some new ones"

Mr Slater finds it "very very deflating when we dont get the results".....talking about Saturday nights.

"Clear objectives...but cant get to the PL until in the CC......steady progress is the only way it can be"

Finally I picked up on, as mentioned in earlier post, "We need to understand where we are.....but we'll be back very quickly"

Just a few snipets from a very good interview....well done CharltonLive!!

Hope the above gives you some insight to the interview.
  • Thanks for that Red
  • Yes: well done Charlton Live. I thought MS came over really well.
  • thanks red,

all the right noises being made and I would hope that that, might now quell some of the concern, us supporters have been feeling.

interesting, the idea, that he thought he wouldn't become a supporter. wonder what changed, clearly couldn't of been the performances?
  • i was in the directors box for the colchester game and when the confusion over the 'offside goal' took place i can confirm there were 2 foaming idiots standing up screaming at the ref , i was one of them and i saw slater doing his nut as well
  • I liked the way he spoke very highly of Wagstaff in particular and Solly. Sounds like the man knows his football!
    No mention of Jenkinson though!
  • Sponsored links:

• the more I hear of him the more I warm to him, the proof will obviously come in the summer......I don't think he's someone who suffers fools.
  • From snippets like that you have to think of the so called big boys currently in this league we will the only one to be a lot stronger next season, all those that do not go up (like saints if they miss out) are likely to lose players
  • I had a brief chat with him at yeovil as I mentioned. I really liked his manner, very chatty and personable... mind you that means nothing in terms of running a football club.

But he seems earnest enough.
  • Whenever I hear hard nosed businessmen at talk, the Jungle Book song 'Trusssssssssssssst in me, jussssssssst in me' tends to go thru my head. Why is Mr Slater so intent on ruining this small pleasure?
  • No mention of Jenkinson as we recorded it on Tuesday night and none of us expected the news we heard on Weds. Though I suspect it was already known at that time.

He's a decent guy, didn't dodge any questions or stipulate areas not for discussion. Given what PV said at NWKent Addicks the previous week I think we have a very bright future.
  • "has a medium to long-term plan to get us back where we should be"

Did he allude to where he thought this was? I think a lot of fans would suggest we were playing above ourselves in the prem and our natural place is probably top half of the championship.
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i was in the directors box for the colchester game and when the confusion over the 'offside goal' took place i can confirm there were 2 foaming idiots standing up screaming at the ref , i was one of them and i saw slater doing his nut as well
    Excellent.

I don't understand the scepticism with the new owners, they brought BWP so obviously mean business!
  • [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]"has a medium to long-term plan to get us back where we should be"

Did he allude to where he thought this was? I think a lot of fans would suggest we were playing above ourselves in the prem and our natural place is probably top half of the championship.

I believe from his other comments, some of which I added in the second post, he sees us as back in the Prem, but maybe this time with a more solid financial foundation. That is not a criticism of the previous board, but if we do have some serious backers then they, I guess, would see that as a way to start to recoup some of their investment they are going to be making over the next two years or so.
    In my mind it will be invest now to get us to the Prem, hold a good position, look to be a vibrant and solvent football club that intime will be a very saleable business. Just my opinion no facts behind it!
  • [cite]Posted By: Redmidland[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]"has a medium to long-term plan to get us back where we should be"

I believe from his other comments, some of which I added in the second post, he sees us as back in the Prem, but maybe this time with a more solid financial foundation. That is not a criticism of the previous board, but if we do have some serious backers then they, I guess, would see that as a way to start to recoup some of their investment they are going to be making over the next two years or so.
    In my mind it will be invest now to get us to the Prem, hold a good position, look to be a vibrant and solvent football club that intime will be a very saleable business. Just my opinion no facts behind it!

You said

look to be a vibrant and solvent football club that intime will be a very saleable business. Just my opinion no facts behind it!

Do you realise you just started the All new, all new takeover thread ;0)
  • Glad you all seemed to enjoy the interview, we hope to have him back at some stage so we can get him to answer some supporters questions.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Redmidland[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DRF[/cite]"has a medium to long-term plan to get us back where we should be"

You said

look to be a vibrant and solvent football club that intime will be a very saleable business. Just my opinion no facts behind it!

Do you realise you just started the All new, all new takeover thread ;0)

Oh nuts!!! We dont need another one of THOSE!! Didnt mean to honest guv!........think I'll stick to match threads from now on its much safer!!!
  • I know Jiminez has said he won't do any talking but it would be nice to hear from him.