Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

post transfer window: have our chances improved and why/not?

edited February 2007 in General Charlton
I think we needed a striker and defensive midfielder, for whatever reasons we have failed in this. So personally I don't think we are much better off, perhaps we will leak slightly less, but we also need to score more...

Comments

• Options
    With Thatcher and Bougherra (hopefully) will be much more solid at the back - everything else can come from that, so we are better off.
  • Options
    Song is the Def Mid

Couldn't get a striker but Lisbie is back and so soon will Darren.
  • Options
    Lisbian is one for the future, but it'll be good to see DB back and hopefully he can pick up form quickly.

I wanted a bruiser up front to call on at the very least, oh well.
  • Options
    If we had got hold of Blanco or Collins John I would be quietly confident as we definitely need more upfront but we should be a bit tighter at the back, Thatcher looks a shrewd buy and if Young can come back on form we will be fairly solid.

But without wishing to piss on our bonfire, the only reason that we are in touching distance is because Wigan have had an absolute shocker, whilst we have shown the form of a team finishing about 13/14th over the last 6 games.

Long may it continue.
  • Options
    I'd like to have signed Stokes for the future and Blanco for the now, both went elsewhere and I can't believe that they were the only two strikers we enquired about - just that the media and therefore us never got to find out about our other targets, so it looks like we were trying to sign one but fate and deeper pockets elsewhere prevented it from happening.

As for strengthening the midfield we have ZZ and Alex Song - though of course both are relatively untested at this level, but at least there is some depth and competition for places there. In defence I think Thatcher in for Traore is good business as is the signing of Boughera.

So on the whole on paper at least I think we've come through the transfer window stronger, but only time will tell if the signings will have any impact and save us from relegation.
  • Options
    I don't think that can be answered until we've seen the new signings play but I agree with SA had we got hold of Collins John or Blanco then I'd feel a bit more confident.
  • Options
    I think we've come through the window a bit stronger - but so too has everybody else!
  • Options
    Definitely stronger, a proper left-back in Thatcher. A very promising centre-half in Bougherra and, best of all, we kept all of our best players and nobody buggered off at 11.59pm on deadline day. We also did not get panicked into another major Dowie-like cash splurge which could have put us even further in the shite long term.
  • Options
    Our defense is much stronger with Young back and Thatcher and one hopes with Bougherra and Song. If that is so it takes pressure off the midfield and allows them to make constructive plays rather than be additional defenders. However do we have constructive midfielders - I would say yes with Reid and Thomas and perhaps Lisbie who can make goals even if he can't score them. Then there is always Ambrose?
    One other thing we are slowly getting which is beyond price is confidence and belief - let's hope that Chelski and United don't wreck it.