Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

RIP Fred Titmus

Age 78.

England cricketer who played first class cricket in five decades, lost 4 toes in a boating accident but played on for another 15 years or so and apparently had a pop song written about him.

Comments

• Another of those who formed my early collection of sporting heroes.......they were made differently then!
  • wasn't the song Heads, Shoulders knee's & .............

sorry Fred , Top class off spinner middlesex and england RIP
  • Amazing record. We won't see the likes of stats like that again in the modern world of bish bash wallop.
  • Some random Fred facts (and opinions)....

Played in 5 different decades for Middlesex.

Played one or two games for Surrey while he was coach there.

Smoked a pipe.

Could be a real miserable sod at times.

Ran a post office in Potten End, Herts.

Was invited to become President of Potten End CC but never ever went to see them play.

Was great mates with John Murray (Middx keeper).

Got 60 odd v Australia (including Jeff Thomson when in his prime) in 74/75 series.

Was Middlesex's finest off-break bowler of all time (John Emburey comes a close 2nd).
  • [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]Some random Fred facts (and opinions)....

Played in 5 different decades for Middlesex.

Played one or two games for Surrey while he was coach there.

Smoked a pipe.

Could be a real miserable sod at times.

Ran a post office in Potten End, Herts.

Was invited to become President of Potten End CC but never ever went to see them play.

Was great mates with John Murray (Middx keeper).

Got 60 odd v Australia (including Jeff Thomson when in his prime) in 74/75 series.

Was Middlesex's finest off-break bowler of all time (John Emburey comes a close 2nd).

and had the word "tit" in his name.
  • Was he not the one who turned up to watch Middlesex to play after he had retired and was asked to play and took a hat full of wickets? I think he was in his mid forties?
    RIP
  • edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: richie8[/cite]Was he not the one who turned up to watch Middlesex to play after he had retired and was asked to play and took a hat full of wickets? I think he was in his mid forties?
    RIP

He was actually in his fifties....

EDIT: 49!

He played first class cricket in the 1940s,50s,60s,70s and 80s. I'm not sure if anybody has bettered that or even equalled it. Chirpy??

Close and Illingworth might have equalled it.
  • The Good Lord is getting together a formidable bowling attack with Trevor Bailey, Peter Loader and Fred Titmus all recruited in the past month.

RIP.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Age 78.

England cricketer who played first class cricket in five decades, lost 4 toes in a boating accident but played on for another 15 years or so and apparently had a pop song written about him.[/quote]

the song was by Half Man Half Biscuit
  • [cite]Posted By: richie8[/cite]Was he not the one who turned up to watch Middlesex to play after he had retired and was asked to play and took a hat full of wickets? I think he was in his mid forties?
    RIP

Yes, Simon Hughes (@cricketanalyst) has just tweeted "Fred Titmus came into Middx dressing room in 1982 and Brearley said 'Ah Fred, you're playing' and I was relegated to 12th Man."
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

He played first class cricket in the 1940s,50s,60s,70s and 80s. I'm not sure if anybody has bettered that or even equalled it. Chirpy??

Close and Illingworth might have equalled it.

Without checking maybe also The Doctor and Rhodes may have equalled.
  • Indeed WG and Wilfred Rhodes did both stretch over 5 decades.

Mid_life_crisis and I know of a local player who is in his 6th decade of serious club cricket. Could well have been 1st class in another era. I'm sure you know him too Len.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Indeed WG and Wilfred Rhodes did both stretch over 5 decades.

Mid_life_crisis and I know of a local player who is in his 6th decade of serious club cricket. Could well have been 1st class in another era. I'm sure you know him too Len.

Maybe. Who are you thinking of?
  • There's only one Swaddy!

He was at the Valley last night.
  • Oh I was walking round my local store
    I was searching for the ten pence off Lenor
    When suddenly I bumped into this guy
    On seeing who it was I gave a cry
    “Fuckin’ ‘Ell, It’s Fred Titmus”

Oh Jane was pushing baby round the park
    When all at once she saw her husband Mark
    Well he was with a man down by the stream
    So Jane and baby both began to scream
    “Fuckin’ ‘Ell, It’s Fred Titmus”

Oh as the train pulled into platform three
    I looked around for my best girl to see
    As she disembarked I didn’t seem to care
    Cos someone passed who made me stop and stare

Oh Dracula comes from Transylvania
    Stevie nicks books about kleptomania
    Johnny looks out of his bedroom window and
    Shouted to his mum “Fred Titmus”

RIP
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]There's only one Swaddy!

Yes I know him by sight.

He was very much a Blackheath first teamer when I was playing so I don't think I ever played against him. I think he turned out for Kent 2nds back in the day...
  • Len...Pretty sure that Brian Close started in 1948 or 49 with Yorkshire and was retired from Somerset by the time they won their first ever trophy in the late 70's (think he went in 1977). I think Illingworth started very early 50's and finished at Leicestershire in 1978.

Titmus was having a cup of tea at Lord's in 1980 before play and Brearley having seen the state of the wicket and the weather forecast, asked if he wanted to play. He did and got a few wickets. He stayed in the team (Emburey was on test duty) for the game at Uxbridge v Derbyshire. The game was balanced finely on day 2 (of 3) with Barry Wood of Derbyshire going well on 60 odd in the 2nd innings. Titmus bowled him with one that turned a mile and Derbyshire collapsed. Middlesex (with Paul Downton getting 70ish) won by 9 wickets and duly went on to win the Chamionship. The Middlesex bowling attack in the Derbyshire game was Wayne Daniel, Vincent Van Der Bijl, Mke Selvey, Phil Edmonds and Fred Titmus. A far cry from the sort of attack they can field these days!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Simonsen[/cite]Len...Pretty sure that Brian Close started in 1948 or 49 with Yorkshire and was retired from Somerset by the time they won their first ever trophy in the late 70's (think he went in 1977). I think Illingworth started very early 50's and finished at Leicestershire in 1978.

Titmus was having a cup of tea at Lord's in 1980 before play and Brearley having seen the state of the wicket and the weather forecast, asked if he wanted to play. He did and got a few wickets. He stayed in the team (Emburey was on test duty) for the game at Uxbridge v Derbyshire. The game was balanced finely on day 2 (of 3) with Barry Wood of Derbyshire going well on 60 odd in the 2nd innings. Titmus bowled him with one that turned a mile and Derbyshire collapsed. Middlesex (with Paul Downton getting 70ish) won by 9 wickets and duly went on to win the Chamionship. The Middlesex bowling attack in the Derbyshire game was Wayne Daniel, Vincent Van Der Bijl, Mke Selvey, Phil Edmonds and Fred Titmus. A far cry from the sort of attack they can field these days!!!

I know Illingworth captained Yorkshire in the early eighties which was why I suggested him but wasn't sure when he started. I thought Close might have got it by the back door as it were by captaining DB Close's X1 at the Scarborough festival in later years. Not sure though.
  • DB Close certainly did play 1st Class cricket in the 80's and Len is quite correct the DB Close XI was given first class status and did annually play at the Scarbrough Festival.
    Close also played Test cricket in the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's. However he only played 22 Test matches. Quite amazing. He constantly fell out with the powers that be. His offical First Class span 1949-1986

I remember his comeback in '76 against a fearful Windies attack very well. Look it up on YouTube, The Old Trafford match.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]There's only one Swaddy!

Yes I know him by sight.

He was very much a Blackheath first teamer when I was playing so I don't think I ever played against him. I think he turned out for Kent 2nds back in the day...

He was a 1st teamer from when the Kent League started to about 4 years ago. Still plays the odd game. plays regualary for any of Blackheaths other 10 teams. Also plays for Kent Over 50's and has represented the CCC many times. Indeed played for Kent 2's.
    I only played one Kent League 1st XI game.

He was my first coach/manager in 1980 and still runs the colts today, I'm one of his Colts team managers now!
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP fred