Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonatan Johansson retires

edited March 2011 in General Charlton
Last season he returned to domestic football in Finland, but now has retired from playing football. Maybe sees his future as a coach. Semi-legend for Charlton, all the best for him!

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: TommyGunn[/cite]Semi-legend for Charlton, quote]

What does this mean?
  • Options
    Loved him when he was here. Darren Bent stole his mantle later on but in our early premier days he was fantastic.

Overhead kick anyone ?
  • Options
    Yeah - I remember his goal against Coventry at the Valley - just after he joined I think. One of those ones when I left the ground saying I had just witnessed world class magic (then when I watched it back it was good, but not quite as good as I remember it).

And then of course the West Ham one which was a cracker.

In that first year back in the Prem, which was my favourite ever as a CAFC fan, him and Claus were our first genuine 'Prem Star Players' in my eyes. Was so excited when we signed them.
  • Options
    Had the reputation for being a bit of a fairy, but I remember so many times him getting penalised for fouls against the defender when going shoulder to shoulder. I wonder how he'd have done if we could've bought him back say, in our relegation season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Greenie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: TommyGunn[/cite]Semi-legend for Charlton,

What does this mean?
    [/quote]I don't even know what legend means anymore.
  • Options
    He was never the same player once he lost his "nan's hairstyle"
  • Options
    him and Claus were our first genuine 'Prem Star Players' in my eyes. Was so excited when we signed them.

agree with the above comment. Loved it when we signed him, think he scored 14 goals one season?
  • Options
    I remember his goal against Arsenal at home on Boxing Day (was it?) when they also missed a penalty. Then we scraped a 1-1 draw at home against the then non-league Dagenham in a cup game the following week! Typical Charlton.

But I agree, he played better when he had his Art Garfunkel hair-do.
  • Options
    Until he got injured in that first season, he was top top quality, one of the best I've seen in a Charlton shirt, then he faded.

Favourite JJ goal was against Stoke in the Carling cup, outrageous bit of control and finish
  • Options
    One of the few strikers I felt confident would score when through one on one with goalie.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Two overheads from JJ in the FA Cup game against Exeter at The Valley.

A few years later they beat us 3-1 at The Valley.

The past is a foreign country.
  • Options
    Was a big fan of JJ, not the most prolific scorer and maybe a bit of a fairy at times but scored 14 goals one season and scored some crackers.

Some of his overheads were class but so were some of his "strikers" goals. Very composed in front of goal- Chelsea at home when he made Desially (terrible spelling) look average.
  • Options
    JJ - the only player in football history to be better at overhead kicks than normal shots

I got frustrated by him at the end of his time with us, but you could never fault is work ethic, and we do love a trier at CAFC :)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]JJ - the only player in football history to be better at overhead kicks than normal shots

Peter Crouch?

I liked JJ alot as a player. How many season was he with us? I remember seeing his team photograph during his time playing in Scandinavia somewhere, he must of had 15 different sponsors on his shirt!
  • Options
    JJ. What a guy.
    Really great player, and lovely chap too!.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: arthur[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]JJ - the only player in football history to be better at overhead kicks than normal shots

Peter Crouch?

Good shout, but I would claim that his volleyed goals aren't quite overhead kicks :)
  • Options
    I like the goal against Spurs. One of his first. Somebody dummied the ball and he ran onto it. As mentioned above, particularly after that goal, he became one of the few Charlton strikers who we were confident would score in a one-on-one situation.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Greenie[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: TommyGunn[/cite]Semi-legend for Charlton,[/quote]

What does this mean?[/quote]I don't even know what legend means anymore.[/quote]

Its called a "foot" in old money! ;o)
  • Options
    I liked JJ I remember someone saying "Hes not a great goal scorer but a scorer of great goals". Very good in our 1st season back in the prem when we signed him and partnered Di canio well.
  • Options
    One of my favourite players when I was younger, got a Hibernian shirt with JJ on the back when he signed there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Always remember the game where he scored 2 bicycle kicks... Loved him
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Greenie[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: TommyGunn[/cite]Semi-legend for Charlton, quote]

What does this mean?[/quote]

He's an 'end' :o(
  • Options
    Those were the days!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]I got frustrated by him at the end of his time with us, but you could never fault is work ethic, and we do love a trier at CAFC :)
    except Luke Varney....
  • Options
    work ethic ???!!!!

couldn't fault his skill but he was a lazy bugger that couldn't tackle a fish supper
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Sorry always promised more than he delivered
    But not alone there!
    His driver drove his silver Porsche down Floyd road to a match when he was injured and the driver revved the engine so they could pass! Remember he had a Swiss number plate....
    Sorry to say that he played like that country too i.e. Neutral!
    I am glad that others liked him
    Not for me though!
    I am sure he gives not a jot!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]work ethic ???!!!!

couldn't fault his skill but he was a lazy bugger that couldn't tackle a fish supper[/quote]

That wasnt his job!. He was a bloody good finisher and will always be one of Charlton real first Premiership class players.
  • Options
    Watched him play for Malmo FF (girlfriends team) when he went there. not a shadow of his old self that day, but was popular there too.
  • Options
    I always see him as a player who never did anything wrong really.

He played his normal game, every game. He never cost us a game or did anything silly.

A good player whom I glad played for us.
  • Options
    Noticed he took charge of Scottish Championship side Morton in September, would love to see him back in English football 1 day