Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Johnny Robinson interview

2»

Comments

• didn't he grow up in Africa or something? Lots of colonials use the term soccer, abbrievated from the term association football I think it was? which became football here but obviously not in the far reaches of the Empire
  • didn't he grow up in Africa or something? Lots of colonials use the term soccer, abbrievated from the term association football I think it was? which became football here but obviously not in the far reaches of the Empire
    Zimbabwe rings a bell for some reason but I suspect that the soccer thing was purely due to him being based in the US now.

• edited February 2012
    Seem to remember he was born in Zimbabwe of British parents, so he could play for any of the home countries. I don't know that he had any other connection to Wales.

I'll never forget his goal at Villa Park in the 4-3, when the ref finally gave it I think Robbo nearly exploded on the spot. Made his celebration for the equaliser vs Man Utd seem almost restrained.
  • I recall his father was Scottish, so he had no real links to Wales, but was really proud of his Welsh career, and had a room filled with his caps and international memorabilia.

Soccer is very much the US term, also used in other countries with their own version of 'football', e.g. the Australian National team is the Socceroos.

We had a real team of characters back in the 90s, players with massive heart and loyalty, who's seen the bad times at Charlton, and really appreciated (and deserved) the good times. Sadly, many of the players that followed, while better on paper, lacked all these qualities.
  • I thought he was presenting Strictly Come Dancing and had been knighted?????
  • The odd thing with Robbo was that for a year or so he was really, really rubbish. And then he got really good. I remember taking a mate to a game in the mid-90's and pointing him out as one of our weak links. But he played fantastic in that game and from then on. Not coincidentally, that's when we began our march to success.
  • Loved the passion and desire that 'Big Chin' brought to the club , he did not stop moaning!! someone said once said , he really started to 'put it in' when ever his contract was coming up for renewal , which isn't a bad thing.
  • The word 'Soccer' is derived from 'Association Football' which was a term used to distinguish it from other forms of football played, particularly Rugby Football. I live in Kenya, which is not so far from Zimbabwe, and here the game is always called football.
  • edited February 2012
    I'm pretty sure I remember reading somwhere that his dad was Welsh.
    Because his dad had sacrificed such a lot to help him achive his ambition to play pro football (moving back to The UK) he decided to offer his services to Wales as a way of thanking him.
  • Can't get the link to the interview to work - love the comment about the sweep about how long it would be before he got booked! I used to work with Andy D'Urso, and remember mentioning JR to him!
    So you worked for Coutts & Co !
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2012
    I'm pretty sure I remember reading somwhere that his dad was Welsh.
    Because his dad had sacrificed such a lot to help him achive his ambition to play pro football (moving back to The UK) he decided to offer his services to Wales as a way of thanking him.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Robinson_(footballer)

His father was born in Glasgow. That's where he gets the temper from :-)
  • johnny r and chrissy powell on the left - great times. Didnt he take 2 fans home from the valley one after a midweek game when he went past their broken down car?
  • edited February 2012
    Smudge, I used to a while ago
  • I'm pretty sure I remember reading somwhere that his dad was Welsh.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Robinson_(footballer)

His father was born in Glasgow. That's where he gets the temper from :-)
    Well that's a surprise KAF.........maybe I'm thinking of someone else, perhaps it was his mother?.
  • Anyone know what he's up to these days and if football related?

Someone from xfactor has lowered his google search.
  • Dave2l said:

Anyone know what he's up to these days and if football related?

Runs a soccer school in the US of A
  • cafc999 said:

Dave2l said:

Might give the school a visit
  • Dave2l said:

cafc999 said:

Dave2l said:

Might give the school a visit
    if you do, tell him to give Jose a ring.

We could do with someone like him at the moment
  • I use to say when his wife said good morning he would disagree,he moaned at every linesman and ref,a real Charlton man.
  • Sponsored links:

• Legend.

Who's that scoring goals, Who's that scoring goals..................
  • My fav player.

The man ALWAYS gave 100% no matter what..!!

ROBBO

ROBBO

ROBBO
  • One of my all-time favourites... when players played for the shirt e.g. Stevie Brown etc.
  • Chinola!!
  • I also thought he was OK
  • edited February 2016
    Interestingly when he first signed he was rubbish and was playing under the weight of being a cut price replacement for Robert Lee. It took time for him to settle, then he never looked back.
    I wonder if players get that chance these days? Seems the scramble for success is even stronger now, leaving little time for players to grow into a club.
  • "and in the season 2002 to 2003 finished seventh place in the English Premiership, the club's highest position to date, in the top division in England."

oh so when we finished 2nd 4th and 3rd in the top flight during the late thirties that doesn't count

and if you know your history it's enough to make your heart go whooooooooo

He comes from those who buy into Sky Sports' endless trilling that football didn't exist until the Premier League (and Sky itself)