Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wareham, Dorset

edited March 2011 in Not Sports Related
Am staying down there early next week for work.

Anyone know the place and can recommend anywhere decent to eat/drink. Am staying at The Priory hotel.

Cheers

Comments

• Banks inn,pub and resturant,good hearty food
  • edited March 2011
    I think Nolly's talkng about This place. which is very popular locally.

Not a million miles away but not in Wareham though.

I've eaten/drank here a few times. Lovely spot on the river if you get a nice night to sit outside.
  • yeah thats the one .
  • Cheers Bournemouth.

I've had a look on Beer in the Evening and there seems to be a fair few decent boozers in the town, so hopefully wont get stuck for a cuff.
  • So let me get this straight.You're staying at the priory but you're looking for somewhere to get a decent bevvy!

.You're your own worst enemy you are. ;-)
  • yeah no worries offy..
  • Have a good look round - I think they've got a team in the BlueSquare South or something. We'll probably be playing them in a couple of years :)
  • scouting mission ..
  • The Priory is such a beautiful setting on the river.
    It's been a while since I actually stayed there, but I wouldn't be looking to go anywhere else to eat; the grub was top-drawer when I stayed there.
    Pub wise, you might want to take the other guys advice and head towards Corfe.
    The pubs in Wareham are perhaps just a tad 'hillbilly staring at strangers'
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]yeah no worries offy..

Your "tip" is bleedin miles away!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]
    The pubs in Wareham are perhaps just a tad 'hillbilly staring at strangers'

Hmmm, that sounds, ....er ...... "interesting"!
  • Bankes Arms, steer clear. Visited and landlord was on wrong side of bar guzzling wine all lunchtime. I criticised the state of his toilets on way out and he followed me down the road hurling abuse. Then while waiting for bus locals turned up threatening violence. Pissed. Avoid like the plague.
  • Should've gone to Weymouth I reckon!
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Should've gone to Weymouth I reckon!
    You absolutely should. Not because Wareham is particularly crap - but because Weymouth is so incredibly f***ing great. Proposed to my wife there.
  • If you get a chance to go to Corfe Castle, half hour down the road, do, it's great.
  • Dorset is great. Lovely place....thinking about the Isle of Purbeck makes me wish I was there!
  • Which wife Leroy? Much as I love Weymouth its hardly Taormina!
  • Have had two pints of Hopping Hare with my meal and have just relieved the mini bar of a bottle of Becks.

Too late to get to Weymouth for last orders?
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Have had two pints of Hopping Hare with my meal and have just relieved the mini bar of a bottle of Becks.

Too late to get to Weymouth for last orders?

You twittering what your eating after a humiliating defeat? You will have your name changed to McOffit or OffHare or something.
  • Glad someone got it Cordoban - nice to see you're awake!
    ;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Probably the only one sad enough to care..... (I do miss that list of names down the side, made everything more tangible).
  • Went there in 2009, was alright, if you get the chance, go to Monkey World near-ish there
  • Sssh Nathan - don't mention Monkey World!
  • [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]Which wife Leroy? Much as I love Weymouth its hardly Taormina!
    Haha - we went to Sicily about three months before I proposed - Taormina is overrated touristy crap. For the 'real' Sicily (I've been about ten times now I think) you need to stay in a small village in the mountains - and visit Agrigento, Santa Rosalia di Quisquina, Cammarata and all the other places that aren't on the tourist map. It is beautiful, and the people are some of the friendliest I've met anywhere in the world. Still doesn't compare to Dorset though - as a Geologist the Jurassic Coast has a special place in my heart - Lyme Regis, Portland, Durdle Door, Lulworth - it's truly a beautiful place.

Oh - and Monkey World is fantastic too.
  • Ive been to Lulworth tonnes of times and have only gone into Wareham to pick up supplies. Nothing much there is there?
  • Monkeys
  • Yeah you are right about Taormina (except the views of Etna), I much prefer the interior (like Spain really) but I had to make a seaside town comparison. Not a beach town but I could live in the old town of Syracuse.
  • Monkey World today, Studland and a trip to the Bankes Arms tomorrow. Lunch on the quayside in Wareham yesterday.

Can't beat this country when the weather's nice, as it has been for us these past few days.

Currently glugging on some Aspall's with the french doors wide open, the sunshine pouring in and the beach volleyball on the telly. Lovely.
  • Landlord of Bankes Arms is a total c***
  • Landlord of Bankes Arms is a total c***

So you said in march last year - see above.

As you've been to the area is there anywhere else you'd recommend instead?