Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Which pubs showed last nights game.

Which pubs showed last nights games,you can whisper to me if you want but would like to know for future reference,there is nothing sinister,but i have asked a couple of times and no one has BLOODY answered

Comments

• Options
    steve, people are understandably cagey naming pubs and clubs because no one is particularly sure on what the legal angle of it is, and don't want to get the half a dozen pubs and clubs in the local area that do show games into any trouble.

Its a grey area, mainly the fact that i think the authorites have relaxed their view towards it. After a few being charged a couple of years ago, i don't think any pub in the country has been fined in the last two years, despite the amount of pubs showing football on foreign channels now into four figures.

And also i think the illegal side of it only applies to when games are on a Saturday afternoon.

I don't actually think any pub showing the game last night broke any laws, but its not clear.
  • Options
    are you old bill steve? ;-)
  • Options
    With regards to the "foreign TV" matches, doesn't the Sports Cafe in Haymarket show them?

So I wouldn't expect it to be much of an issue if somewhere this well known does it...

The Saturday 3pm matches are another issue, however.
  • Options
    yes i'm really ugly copper p.c.
  • Options
    Some people have argued that it is not illegal although they would seem to be on dodgy ground there but the Premier League are not happy as they see it as threatening the huge pay outs that they get from Sky. Sky are obviously not going to be pleased as each pub showing dodgy games is a Couple of grand a month lost. Different police forces take different views on it and understandably they don't want to walk into a pub full of drunken footie fans and turn the telly off so causing public unrest and disharmony.

In Bolton area the police did enforce the law and a lot of pubs were punished. There was then a sudden increase in Sky pub subscriptions in the area as other venues got scared.
  • Options
    Thank you
  • Options
    The Powder Monkey in Greenwich shows all CAFC away games. Friendly crowd in there, no problem going in on your own, someone will ALWAYS talk to you......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Some people have argued that it is not illegal although they would seem to be on dodgy ground there but the Premier League are not happy as they see it as threatening the huge pay outs that they get from Sky. Sky are obviously not going to be pleased as each pub showing dodgy games is a Couple of grand a month lost. Different police forces take different views on it and understandably they don't want to walk into a pub full of drunken footie fans and turn the telly off so causing public unrest and disharmony.

In Bolton area the police did enforce the law and a lot of pubs were punished. There was then a sudden increase in Sky pub subscriptions in the area as other venues got scared.

but i think that applies to showing on a saturday afternoon, rather than on nights of the week. Also don't think a venue can show a game on another channel when it is live on Sky.

In my eyes, Sky and the football clubs only have themselves to blame. Despite increased windfalls from Sky, clubs continue to increase admission prices, while Sky are to blame the way they have tried to bully pubs and clubs into increased subscriptions. I remember the landlord of a pub telling me once they tried to increase his subscription by 400% on close season, refused to negotiate even though he knew other pubs had been able to, so they had no choice but to cancel the subscription.
  • Options
    Well a working mens club that we both know shows the Sky live games live but via a middle eastern channel. I'm not a lawyer but I think that SKY and FAPL have the copyright of all games and the licences for foriegn channels do not allow those stations to broadcast them in the UK. It's a bit like saying it's OK to show a pirate copy of a film because it's not showing at the local odeon at the same time.

Whether is is morally right and should club reduce prices and sky not charge so much is another issue but while all the clubs just look to the next huge pay-out nothing will change.
  • Options
    If we go down I take it we won't be able to watch our away games then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    correct
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]If we go down I take it we won't be able to watch our away games then?

You could always go to the games.
  • Options
    Very good Dave unfortunately work most Saturday's and leave early when we have a home game (self-employed).Before I was married and had kids used to go everywhere,one season year we sold Robert Lee only missed 2 games including Anglo Italian nonsense.However it's just too expensive nowadays just bought 2 tickets for Man U and booked coach for me and my nipper £100 before anything to eat or drink.I do think the club should look at subsidising travel prices for under 16's,I'm paying the same for a 5yr old as an adult.
  • Options
    i would ignore davey steve, he has publicly admited that he only goes to one away game per season... arsenal. glory boy.
  • Options
    That was the trouble with Arsenal there were too many people like that there and diluted the atmosphere in our end
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]i would ignore davey steve, he has publicly admited that he only goes to one away game per season... arsenal. glory boy.

Oi! I'm going to Liverpool this year.
    And Steve, just for your info, my son and I gave our team full vocal support. As we always do.
  • Options
    Sky/Premier league should wise up and sell 'away game licences' for pubs, at a reasonable amount, near the grounds - much like a beam back scenario
  • Options
    OK DAD
  • Options
    easy tiger, just thought it might be best way forward
  • Options
    Not you Razil,Davey Dave calling me son.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's Chirpy Steve, he's harmless enough.