Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rooneys elbow yesterday.

If ever there was more compelling evidence that ref's favour the big clubs and England 'stars' in particular I can't remember it. Unbelievable decision to give a free kick and not even have a proper word with him let alone give him the straight red it deserved.

Muscat would have been proud of that, yet it was barely mentioned in my newspaper today but if it had been a Wigan player on Rooney they'd have been pressing for a police investigation.

Comments

• Options
    Was at the game (mates a Utd fan). Did not see it but some of the Wigan fans were unsurprisingly going mad.

Clattenberg who is a terrible ref imho, may not have fully seen it then put his arm round Rooney like they were mates!
  • Options
    proper wrong un definate intent to cause harm lengthy ban required imo
  • Options
    I think what threw the ref is the fact the Wigan player took it like a man and didnt go down as if a sniper had shot him.I do agree there is one rule for high profile England players and another for everyone else.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]proper wrong un definate intent to cause harm lengthy ban required imo

The thing is the ref gave a free kick, therefore he "saw" it and the FA can't do anything about it.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    i thought you couldnt do retrospective if the ref had booked the player but if no card was issued they could
  • Options
    That scumbag Ferguson is defending it for all he is worth too. If the boot was on the other foot there'd be questions in the House!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    didn't shearer (possibly england captain at the time) lash out at a leicester player and nothing was done about it
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    found it no card given

all you rangers/celtic oddbods control yourselves and put it back in your pants
  • Options
    The youtube comments are a terrific read. And there was me thinking that the Millwall boards are a bit primitive!
    One of the more printable quotes: 'lennon should get his dirty ginger heed off of Shearers god like boot.'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shearer was at the peak of his powers and popularity and is alleged to have told the FA he would not go top the world cup if he was charged, of course the FA capitulated.

Mike Phelan said on BBC that referees were there to make decisions and they should not be questioned and he said it with a straight face
  • Options
    Everyone knows Lennon was guilty of headbutting Alan Shearers foot
  • Options
    Disgrace.. as per usual... classic red card... the bloke should have gone down.. that would have forced the ref to do something.. but to give the foul an then no card... crikey, what interpretation of the ruls is that, you ok you elbow people off the ball as long as they dont complain??
  • Options
    Saw this on TV this morning. Ridiculous that depending on what the referee did that players can't be banned if something like that is clear on camera.
  • Options
    What is laughable though is Fergie's response to it. Could you imagine what he'd have done if the Wigan bloke had elbowed Rooney?

"There is nothing in it. But what will happen, because it is Wayne Rooney, the press will raise a campaign to get him hung by Tuesday or electrocuted or something like that.
    It is unbelievable. Watch the press. It will be interesting to see it."

Something tells me Fergie is panicking slightly because Rooney will be suspended for the Chelsea, liverpool and Arsenal games.
  • Options
    He really is a nob ead... as they say up there.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]What is laughable though is Fergie's response to it. Could you imagine what he'd have done if the Wigan bloke had elbowed Rooney?

"There is nothing in it. But what will happen, because it is Wayne Rooney, the press will raise a campaign to get him hung by Tuesday or electrocuted or something like that.
    It is unbelievable. Watch the press. It will be interesting to see it."

Something tells me Fergie is panicking slightly because Rooney will be suspended for the Chelsea, liverpool and Arsenal games.

Classic Fergie deflection "Oh woe is me, my players get bullied and picked on. It's so unfair"

They'll drag this out as long as they can so he is available for the important matches and misses easier matches like Wigan, Blackpool and West Brom
  • Options
    I'd be very surprised if he didn't get away with it. They'll probably say something like lack of evidence!
  • Options
    It's assault
  • Options
    A few years back a Grimsby player elbowed the elbow king himself, Shearer, and was crucified in the press.

Why should the fat non-national anthem singing alleged granny shagger be any different?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    havent seen the incident yet but why am I not surprised that Clattenberk was the ref?
    How many more dubious decisions is he gonna give in United's favour in his career?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]proper wrong un definate intent to cause harm lengthy ban required imo

The thing is the ref gave a free kick, therefore he "saw" it and the FA can't do anything about it.

Didn't Ben Thatcher get a retrospective ban after he only got booked after her tried to kill Pedro Mendes?
  • Options
    I think the problem for the FA is this: If they ban Rooney after the ref today says he would have sent him off had he seen how bad it was......

Does a ref look at every yellow he gives and say "in hindsight it should have been a red" Howard Webb in the World Cup final springs to mind talking after the game when he saw how bad De Jong's challenge was in the replay.

Can of worms if you ask me.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]

Didn't Ben Thatcher get a retrospective ban after he only got booked after her tried to kill Pedro Mendes?

Good shout. Not quite in the same league, but an unusual step to take (and justified).
  • Options
    Just confirmed. No further punishment.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]I'd be very surprised if he didn't get away with it. They'll probably say something like lack of evidence!

Just as I suspected. What a joke!
  • Options
    Joke.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]havent seen the incident yet but why am I not surprised that Clattenberk was the ref?
    How many more dubious decisions is he gonna give in United's favour in his career?
    This was my first thought. Although to be fair we had him winning a match for Arsenal at our place, so I think he just like to tickle the big clubs. Not fit to ref, these things seem to just constantly follow him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]It's assault

TBF I'm not keen on the police getting involved in on the pitch incidents at all but since the FA is in the pocket of Man U/has it's hands tied/no bottle left (delete as appropriate) then maybe there is a case to answer for assault. The bloke was completely blindsided by Rooney's elbow and it could have been a really, really, nasty injury. The bloke did him a huge favour by not going down but it doesn't take away from the intent that was clearly there.