Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Well done brum

2»

Comments

• Options
    Of course teams want to win cups but at what cost? For teams of limited resources the choice is often a stark one of give 100% to the league or the cups. It's not possible to do both.

Millwall of the Midlands might be cockahoop today but they are still in the relegation dogfight. If they go down will their fans still be as happy?

Curbs performed miracles just keeping us in the prem for as long as he did let alone competing in cups. If people didn't realise at the time the dross we've endured subsequently should reinforce the fact.

Why do people persist in taking opportunities like this to take snide digs at arguably our greatest manager of all time?

Yes we are all entitled to an opinion and I've just expressed mine.
  • Options
    I would suggest that Pompey fans would have given up the FA Cup to still be in the Prem.
  • Options
    well said len and plaayer

the others just reinforce the opinion of you always want what you haven't got
  • Options
    Absolute rubbish. One lousy semi-final in all those years ain't much to ask for... when you see other teams (including 'smaller' clubs than ours) giving it a go, why on earth couldn't we. Just try and win something. Not putting out defensive 4-5-1's in the 3rd round at home to Leicester and losing, for instance. Just a bit of passion, try and win a bloody trophy.

Do agree with comment re awful decision to replace Dowie with Reed tho, followed immediately by the Wycombe debacle.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Of course teams want to win cups but at what cost? For teams of limited resources the choice is often a stark one of give 100% to the league or the cups. It's not possible to do both.

Millwall of the Midlands might be cockahoop today but they are still in the relegation dogfight. If they go down will their fans still be as happy?

Curbs performed miracles just keeping us in the prem for as long as he did let alone competing in cups. If people didn't realise at the time the dross we've endured subsequently should reinforce the fact.

Why do people persist in taking opportunities like this to take snide digs at arguably our greatest manager of all time?

Yes we are all entitled to an opinion and I've just expressed mine.

Well we went down without winning a cup!

Snide digs? Come on Len, these are facts. I respect what AC did but when did we ever really compete at the top? In league or cups? That one season when we were flying before Christmas and then played that awful home game against Blackburn which just proved that the team, the manager or the club as a whole just didn't have it in them to push on that extra mile.
    We were punching above our weight, nothing wrong with that. But I, and obviously others, wanted and still want to COMPETE! Not just fall away every season after reaching 40 points.
    I'd rather see us in the Championship, competing. Making the play-offs most seasons, winning the play off final now and then. Having a flirt in Prem now and then, in the Blackpool or WBA style though, not just desperate to stay in.
    But we're a long way from that. The original point made by Nolly is fair. Wigan, Millwall, Luton, Blackburn, Oxford, Leicester, Portsmouth,Norwich, Cardiff etc etc have had their day in the sun within living memory. They've been to major cup finals. Ok they didn't all win but they got there.
    I'm afraid you banging on and on about how many of us disrespect AC and don't appreciate his achievements is really now rather tedious after all these years. It is certainly not true in my case. Difference with me is that I remember the crap times under him as well as the good times.
  • Options
    blackburn, leicester,wigan and norwich have decent league and cup success of recent years

as for the other joke names up there i know whose recent history i'd be wanting and i know those clubs would prefer our recent years in the sun as opposed to their days
  • Options
    doubt that football is about moments like yesterday .
  • Options
    what you think millwall fans would prefer their history to ours ....... you've lost it nolly
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]what you think millwall fans would prefer their history to ours ....... you've lost it nolly

Millwall not a good example. They LOVE their history, ground closures in 30's, 40's and 50's. Luton away, Panarama, Birmingham play off semi. All of it. It's all they care about.
  • Options
    Millwall would rather make West Ham run than have a cup run!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]I would suggest that Pompey fans would have given up the FA Cup to still be in the Prem.
    Nice one, Very funny!

It's not an attack on Curbs who did perform miracles, it's more envy of how well other clubs in a similar position to where we were have performed. It would be great to open a programme against some league 1 pub team and see an extra piece of silverwear in our honours section.
  • Options
    What's funny Potter?