Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dean Richards RIP

Unbelievable really, a decade ago almost to the day he was bought for £8.1m by Spurs.

36 years young. No age at all.

Condolences to the family and BCFC.

Comments

• Options
    Blimey. RIP
  • Options
    Christ that is unbelievable. RIP.
  • Options
    Bloody tragic loss at 36. Far too young.
    Will never forget his debut for us. 3 up at HT against Man Utd with him scoring. Oh how it changed after the break.

Wasnt the greatest centre-half we've seen at Spurs over the years but he always gave us 100% and thats all you can ask.

RIP Deano.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Just read this on the beeb. Amazed he was only 36.

Was a player I always wanted us to sign.

RIP
  • Options
    Terrible news, very sad.
    RIP
  • Options
    Gives us all a bit of perspective. RIP.
  • Options
    Very sad news. RIP
  • Options
    Tragic
    RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Sad. RIP.
  • Options
    Rest in peace big man

Very sad
  • Options
    Rip

like clem I always wanted us to sign him and I believe we were close once
  • Options
    remember seeing him have an immense game for Wolves against us at the valley (I think he scored the winner) and thinking I'd love us to sign him

R.I.P
  • Options
    I am shocked to hear this. Bumped into him in a hotel in Southampton just before he signed for them. He was a charismatic figure and stood out in the bar like a sore thumb. Never really realised his rich potential.
  • Options
    RIP

Was very shocked to read this. Only 36- tragic.
  • Options
    I think this is really sad. Like anyone to go long before their time. Wrong.

May your god look after you young man. X
  • Options
    That's really sad. I remember him being a decent player - and also remember the "ear infection" blackout thing and thinking it a bit odd and might be something more serious.

I noticed that none of the reports say what he actuallhy died of - anyone know? Not that it matters too much of course, a loss of life is a loss of life, but normallhy reports give you that sort of info and these don't. Just interested really - know a couple of people that uffer dizzy spealls and am wondering if this might be more serious than originally thought.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2011
    I agree off_it with your concerns and yes there is an air of mystery surrounding the whole tragedy, right from when he was advised to not play anymore

From what I have read on the matter there is no publicised illness/cause of death in a tangible 'put a name to it sense' - it may be unidentified as such or it may be being withheld on his family's wishes I don't know. I would expect more to emerge in the coming weeks.

Apparently at the time of his retirement he was advised there could be pressure on the brain, perhaps a cancerous tumour, but I have read that all scans for such a tumour were negative.

In a horrible way I think an inability to have such a grave thing explained is what is so striking about this tragedy. Not for a second to belittle the grief of those we lose to a car crash or to cancer, but then the family has an explanation. With deaths such as these, sudden death syndrome and other almost silent killers there must be an almost overwhelming desperation not just to know why but how.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Everyone at Tottenham Hotspur was saddened to hear of the death of our former player Dean Richards, who passed away this morning at the age of 36 after a long-term battle with serious illness.

Dean started his career at Bradford City and then moved to Wolverhampton Wanderers before establishing himself in the Premier League with Southampton.

The centre-half joined the Club from Southampton in September 2001 and made an immediate impact by scoring on his Spurs debut against Manchester United at White Hart Lane.

In total the former England Under-21 defender went on to play 81 games in our colours and scored four goals before being forced to retire at the age of 30 on medical grounds.

There will be a tribute paid to the defender ahead of our fixture next Sunday at Molineux against his former club Wolves.

We extend our sincere condolences to the family of Dean Richards at this very sad time.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Very sad indeed.

Gary Doherty and Johnnie Jackson probably knew him at Tottenham so a thought for them too in losing an old clubmate.
  • Options
    Nice bloke by all accounts, according to a Bradford fan that knew him quite well....sad loss at just 36. RIP
  • Options
    Well the Sky tribute had me welling up. Sad. Nice tribute by Wolves/spurs.
  • Options
    And me,respect was given perfectly
  • Options
    Did they say "what" he actually died of Curb_it?

Just find it amazing that a fit sportsman near the top of his game can just suddenly become "seriously ill" and nobody seems to know why. Maybe we're not supposed to know - in which case I would respect his family's wishes and just shut up - but am just a bit puzzled really. Not to mention concerned.
  • Options
    RIP
    so sad
    condolences to his wife and kids
  • Options
    truely astonishing the level of respect shown today what a difficult thing to get right

dont say this very often but well done spuds and wolves