Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football merchandising top 10

Gabrielle Marcotti just posted some findings on Twitter:

1. Real Madrid
2. Barca
3. Liverpool
4. Bayern
5. Marseille (!)
6. Man U
7. Milan
8. Inter
9. Lyon
10.Fenerbache(!)

Interesting list, suprised by a couple of absentees

Comments

• [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Gabrielle Marcotti just posted some findings on Twitter:

1. Real Madrid
    2. Barca
    3. Liverpool
    4. Bayern
    5. Marseille (!)
    6. Man U
    7. Milan
    8. Inter
    9. Lyon
    10.Fenerbache(!)

Interesting list, suprised by a couple of absentees[/quote]

Absolutely , where's Charlton?
  • all them Scousers in their shell suits
  • What data is the list based on?

Liverpool is the one that surprises me the most. Marseille are a bit high aint they?
  • The commercial power of Barcelona and Real Madrid has elevated Spain’s La Liga to the top of the European merchandise and licensing revenue charts, according to a study by Sport+Markt and PR Marketing.

The European Football Merchandising Report 2010 has revealed that La Liga surpassed England’s Barclays Premier League to generate Eur190 million in the 2009-10 season. However, almost 80% of the total was generated by the country’s two biggest clubs, Real and Barcelona, while England’s revenues of Eur168 million were “distributed much more evenly”.

The study found that the clubs in Europe’s five top leagues generated turnover of Eur631 million in the 2009-10 campaign – a rise of 6% in comparison with the 2008 investigation. With merchandising income of Eur130 million, the German Bundesliga is ranked in third place, followed by Italy's Serie A (Eur77 million) and France's Ligue 1 (Eur67 million).

“The boom in European football merchandising is ongoing,” said Dr Peter Rohlmann of PR Marketing. “However, it is primarily the less established leagues that can look forward to significant growth, as they are gradually identifying the importance of club merchandising in brand management.”

Supplemented by the income of teams from the top divisions in the Netherlands, Poland, Russia, Turkey and Ukraine, the top flight clubs from the continent’s 10 biggest leagues generated total revenues of Eur727 million from merchandising and licensing.

The top-selling merchandise item at European clubs remains the team shirt, with 13.7 million sold during the 2009-10 season. Sport+Markt senior consultant Andreas Ullmann added: “Jersey sales represent the core business of many clubs and are often responsible for around 50% of merchandising revenue.”
  • Very surprised that Lyon and Marseille (before winning the league last season they hadn't won as much as a tin can from 1992) are in there - any French team for that matter as their league is so unstable at the moment though I suppose Lyon's 7 in a row has done for them, also Fener as I wouldn't have them down as the best supported team in Turkey, though I think there was a possibility that Galatasaray would be in the top 10.

Stunned Juventus aren't in there.
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Very surprised that Lyon and Marseille (before winning the league last season they hadn't won as much as a tin can from 1992) are in there - any French team for that matter as their league is so unstable at the moment though I suppose Lyon's 7 in a row has done for them, also Fener as I wouldn't have them down as the best supported team in Turkey, though I think there was a possibility that Galatasaray would be in the top 10.

Stunned Juventus aren't in there.

Are you kidding? They can only fill half they're stadium most of the time!

This just shows that Scousers have too much benefit money to spend.
  • Marseille's kit is in every sports shop in France, so am not suprised.

Can't believe that Celtic or Rangers don't gross more than Lyon?
  • Yes, but do any of them have club gnomes ?
  • No I'm not kidding. Despite their ground issues at the Stadio Delle Alpi - an Italia 90 white elephant that was soulless, completely unattractive to football in design, on the outskirts of town but with marquee ticket prices, it is a cast-iron fact that they are the best supported club in Italy.
  • Juve are a club in serious decline, Calciopoli has destroyed them as Italy's club
  • Sponsored links:

• Oh and more serie a's by tonnes than any other italian club, think they've won more coppa italia's as well and 2 european cups
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Juve are a club in serious decline, Calciopoli has destroyed them as Italy's club

No doubt they are falling off their perch mate in a moral, financial and footballing sense but they are still top dogs by the stats... that's why they are the Man Utd of Italy... nationally hated and derided
  • It's all very well being in the top 10, but have any of them got Charlton Life badges?
  • Is this in the world or just Europe as Fenerbache are actually based in Asia (just to be totally anal about the whole thing!).

Oh - just to mention, I was in Turkey earlier this season and went to a Fenerbache game. They are a huge, huge club and it doesn't suprise me seeing them in the top ten. They seemed to have about five different shirts our at the same time and almost everyone in the stand that we were in was wearing a shirt/scarf/club jacket. It was amazing, I'm actually suprised they aren't higher up, but that's probably because they aren't big outside of Turkey.
  • edited February 2011
    Fenerbache is no surprise. Turkey is a very big country and there are Turkish immigrants all across Europe who will order their products.

Very surprised Juventus are not in there. Maybe recent scandal surrounding them and their subsequent demotion to Serie 'B' has affected merchandise sales.
  • [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]Is this in the world or just Europe as Fenerbache are actually based in Asia (just to be totally anal about the whole thing!).

European- I presume they are using UEFA to judge what is Europe and what isn't. Let's not get started on the whole Turkey in the EU debate!
  • [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]Is this in the world or just Europe as Fenerbache are actually based in Asia (just to be totally anal about the whole thing!).

European- I presume they are using UEFA to judge what is Europe and what isn't. Let's not get started on the whole Turkey in the EU debate!

Indeed, Israel are in the Eurovision Song Contest.......
  • Charlton are 11th right?
  • I'm more surprised at Lyon than Marseille.

Marseille are hugely popular not only throughout France but in the old French colonies in North Africa. They have a huge market.
    Lyon sell well I suppose due to their constant qualification for The European Cup.
  • I've no clue what's included or not included in that list. The idea that OM shift more merchandise than Man U is risible, I'm afraid. So, it'd be interesting to understand specifically what has been included and what hasn't in coming up with it.