Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Players Who Never

edited January 2007 in General Charlton
got (or get) the credit they deserve.

There are plenty but 3 spring to mind in no particular order:

1. Kish - you all know my thoughts so I'll leave it there!:-)

2. Graham Stuart- It is often (rightly) said that we have never adequately replaced Parker and Rufus. I would add Stuart to that list. He was with us six seasons or so and during that time Kinsella and Jensen or Parker and Jensen were regularly lauded as was Holland, in his early days, along with Robbo and Newts.

I don't want to take anything away from the others I've mentioned as they all made a contribution to the cause however Stuart was also there or thereabouts but never quite got the same recognition in my view.

In 2000/1 we played an away game at Leicester which, unusually for me, I attended. Stuart bossed that game for half an hour and JJ got an early goal to put us one up. Unfortunately though Stuart went off to be replaced by Robbo who, for all his effort and passion, didn't have the quality that Graham had been showing. Muzzy Izzett took over bossing the midfield, Leicester equalised and it quickly became apparent that the best we could hope for was to hang on for a draw. Carl Tiler had other ideas though so we went 2-1 down and conceded a third chasing the game in an attempt to get back on terms.

Stuart for me had a bit of everything you wanted in a midfielder: an eye for goal, creativity and he wasn't afraid to graft and tackle either. The nearest we've had to him since is Bryan Hughes and I don't think even his most ardent fan would say he is as good as Stuart was.

3. Peter Hunt- I think of the seventies and in my mind's eye I see Killer clenching his fist after yet another goal, a flash of skill fro "Flash", "Paddy" cleverly beating a full back before putting over an inch perfect cross, Dick Tydeman elegantly spraying the ball around, wily old Captain Peacock marshalling the troops and encouraging the inexperienced youngsters like Berry and Campbell.

How many think of the little fat bearded bloke who'd win the ball and play the simple pass to allow the others to strut their stuff?

There are others who fall into this category but these, for me, are three of the best.

Comments

• Keith Jones

Doing all the nitty gritty stuff that often gets overlooked - a real workhorse who kept going for the whole match and never let us down IMO!
  • Not too sure I agree re Peter Hunt - never quite did it for me. I'd nominate Martin Robinson instead.

(Nice to have you back, Len)
  • good shout on Graham Stuart
  • Totally agree with you re Graham Stuart Len.

Last time i saw him play was a freezing Tuesday evening reserve game at Underhill against Arsenal, incidently the match that Sankofa broke his leg in. He had been an unused sub against Liverpool the night before and was in his last three months or so with us so, to be honest, might have been forgiven for not being particularly up for it.

He ran, and he ran, and he worked his backside off, credit to us and himself. Scored a great goal and was a real "senior" pro with the youngsters.
  • Len starting another post with the word 'Kish' in it, that's gotta be a first eh! Just kiddin mate, nice to see you back on here.

I know he got quite a bit of stick, but Andy Peake during the Selhurst years put in some great performances without really getting the full credit he deserved. Plus he had an eye for goal just like Kish eh Len..!

:-)
  • Add to this list the man with the biggest thighs I have ever seen Steve 'Rambo' Thompson. Great honest Centre half.
  • Alan Pardew, the Silver Fox, even in his playing days.
    Mostly (!) composed but capable of an irrational flash of aggression when fired up! He could take a mean penalty, too. I can still see him, in my minds eye, taking command in the midfield of the early 90's with Colin Walsh - and there's another - cool, creative, with a delicate left foot - and despite being a Scot from Brian Clough's Nottingham Forest, became Charlton through & through and still lives locally.
  • In 2000/1 we played an away game at Leicester which, unusually for me, I attended. Stuart bossed that game for half an hour and JJ got an early goal to put us one up. Unfortunately though Stuart went off to be replaced by Robbo who, for all his effort and passion, didn't have the quality that Graham had been showing. Muzzy Izzett took over bossing the midfield, Leicester equalised and it quickly became apparent that the best we could hope for was to hang on for a draw. Carl Tiler had other ideas though so we went 2-1 down and conceded a third chasing the game in an attempt to get back on terms.

Good shout Len, alway`s remembered just in front of the covered end, against Man utd, Ronaldo who hadn`t been here long was on edge of the box, done the all the tricks he has, and after the fifth or sixth stepover, Stuart put him on his ar5e, the showed it on soccer am when he was a guest, Stuart said something like "welcome to the premiership"
  • Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaburn!
  • Mike Small..................what?
  • Sponsored links:

• len,
    agree with you on graham stuart.
    you cannot fault kish's work rate, but as a prem midfeilder he needs to come up with or create more goals, (been debated too many times).
    peter hunt i can't comment on as i'm too young.

my nominee for the unsung hero award goes to mark bowen.
    he came to us in the twilight of his career and imo did not let anyone down.
  • Andy Petterson.

i thought he was a decent keeper when called upon for us. i never forget a Gordon Banks type save down the Covered End...end.