Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mike Parry On 606

I don't know much about Mike Parry, I know he's a Scouser and fairly outspoken. I very rarely listen to Talksport as I really think it is far inferior to the BBC. Having said that, I must say what a breath of fresh air he was tonight to the very tired 606 format. It's never been that good anyway, but has sunk to new lows this season with that big sissy Savage on there.
Tonight with Chappers away the producers for some reason gave the presenters role to Savage rather than the experienced Parry. What a joke Savage was. Remember when Lineker started on BBC Radio? Well Savage was a hundred times worse. Clueless.
Parry got the ball rolling with a suggestion that from the 5th round onwards the FA Cup should be seeded. He said that the whole world wants to see Man Utd v Arsenal, Chelsea v Liverpool, Chelsea v Man Utd etc etc for the final, not Pompey v Cardiff or - as he kept saying -Millwall in the final against anyone!
Whether he actually believes this theory or not is irrelevant. It provoked so many good emotional calls it was worth it. The best show in years.
He totally buried Savage on everything but very cleverly kept saying when talking about other things "....and Robbie, as a top pro you'd know this....." to massage the woossies ego.
Funniest call was the Man U fan who'd been to the game and thought they'd played Woking!
I'm sure Parry's style was toned down a bit from his Talksport days but I hope he becomes a regular and then we can get rid of Alan Green on 606. His is just pointless on there as he simply knows nothing about football.

Talking of Talksport, I was tuning in my new car radio yesterday and scanning through the MW band came across Keys and Gray. Listened for a few minutes. It was so bland and tame. You could almost imagine them both getting legal advice on everything they were going to say before they dared open their mouths. I'd heard it had been very "safe" this week with nice easy guests and then Keys: "Oh Andy, look who's on line 1? It's you're old mate Neville Southall! Hi Nev how you doing.....?" YUK!

Comments

• Mike Parry is a wind-up merchant and just says things to be contrraversial & therefore to get people to call in.

wouldn't give him the time of day
  • Keys and Gray was like eating cardboard....Parry won't last at the BBC it's just a two fingered salute to the idiot who runs Talksport.
  • Parry's great fun.
  • Parry likes to play the clown role a little bit but the small amount I heard last night he was good . Was gutted when he left talkspite altogether and that keys and gray thing is absolutely awful , I like my football but it's all they have been talking about and I don't want to hear nothing but ex pros ringing in.

Talksport need a decent current afairs phone in again like Jon Gaunt's show was . He may well have been a bit of a prat at times but at least it wasn't the same old same old every day.
  • 606 has never been the same since Danny Baker stopped doing it. It used to be genuinely interesting then. Ever since it's just been an endless stream of people phoning in and moaning about referees, managers and missed opportunities.
  • Savage is only good for clowning around with his mates. Hope that was a one off, the man is dreadful as a presenter.
  • Parry is a smart guy and do well with right straight man and a good producer to reign him in. Alan Green started out poor and has got worse. A parody of himself.

The trouble with all the phone in shows in the people ringing in.
  • Shame Danny Baker can't do it anymore.

I still like Alan Green, though. He stops it being solely the endless procession of moaning idiots that it basically is.
  • I remember the show when Baer got sacked, it was hilarious.

Porky Parry was lots better than Green who is a complete chunterer
  • The trouble with Baker is a) He's rude and constantly interupts people. b) He just loves the sound of his own voice. c) He does his best to keep real football issues off the show. d) He's Dany Baker.
  • Sponsored links:

• I genuinely don't get a lot of the bad press Talksport gets off here from posters.

I think Hawksby and Jacobs are very easy to listen to, have a decent array of topics and some decent guests to cover different sports.
  • I like talkspite and listen to it all day in work but I now find myslef turning Gray and Keys off as it's just too one dimensional
  • [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]I like talkspite and listen to it all day in work but I now find myslef turning Gray and Keys off as it's just too one dimensional

Same here. they should never have got rid of Parry
  • [cite]Posted By: PalaceHater[/cite]I genuinely don't get a lot of the bad press Talksport gets off here from posters.

I think Hawksby and Jacobs are very easy to listen to, have a decent array of topics and some decent guests to cover different sports.

A lot of it is down to the idiotic way two presenters will pretend to disagree with each other to create a sackful of premium rate phonecalls for bods to call in and argue black while another argues white. Anyone sensible gets cut off

In general I flick between talksport and five live depending who's on
  • Parry is quality - don't agree with a lot of his views but he is a top class banter merchant and i'll be tuning in from now on. Have only heard a little bit of Keys and Gray and it was a bit boring - reckon they'll end up on ESPN. Keys has taken to calling everybody Buddy to reassure everybody he still has friends.
  • edited February 2011
    Parry is a brilliant broadcaster. He knows exactly how to get a reaction from his audience. I've not heard him on 606 but one thing's for sure he'll liven up a show that's been shite ever since Baker stopped doing it. He's also a true football man through and through. Unlike your DJ Plastic Spoony types (imho).

Talksport is tabloid radio. As long as you understand that for most daytimes shows two presenters pick opposite positions for the sake of an argument then it's reasonably enjoyable. Hawksbee and Jacobs is the funniest football show on radio right now, but if you want a bit of the Baker-Kelly anarchy head over to the Sports Bar with Andy Goldstein and Jason Cundy on Saturday and Sunday nights.