Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

That's that sorted!

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
None of the plastic glory hunting fans will be back after day. No booing or anything like there was at the final whistle today. Some of them need to remeber we are not still a premiership side ffs.

Roll on friday night with PROPER CHARLTON!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Hmm. Plastic glory hunters who come to see Charlton versus Exeter? What kind of glory are they after, exactly?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AlexAnder[/cite]None of the plastic glory hunting fans will be back after day. No booing or anything like there was at the final whistle today. Some of them need to remeber we are not still a premiership side ffs.

Roll on friday night with PROPER CHARLTON!!!!!

An extra 10,000 in the ground today. A decent performance a lively atmosphere would have seen 200-300 of them back for the next home game.

I was embarassed today. 3 blokes in their 60's sitting along from me, heard them talking saying it was their first game for a couple of years. They were actually laughing at our ball retention. We give the ball away so cheaply it is crazy.
  • Options
    Huge opportunity missed, I had a feeling Slater had asked Powel which game we could win and he chose Exeter for the £5 deal and the attacking line up added fuel to the fire. However, they won't be back after that shower and it won't convince many. Gutted.
  • Options
    Inept performance - the sort that Parky was slaughtered for yet because it's Powell blame falls at the players' feet.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Danny Addick[/cite]Inept performance - the sort that Parky was slaughtered for yet because it's Powell blame falls at the players' feet.

how long had parky worked with his players in relation to how long chris powell has with mostly parkys players
  • Options
    Manager bad selection and too slow to bring on the right changes. Doesn't bode well. We were better under PP, I don't care if you don't like to hear it, it's true !!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Danny Addick[/cite]Inept performance - the sort that Parky was slaughtered for yet because it's Powell blame falls at the players' feet.

how long had parky worked with his players in relation to how long chris powell has with mostly parkys players

Correct, but Powell got it wrong formation wise today.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Danny Addick[/cite]Inept performance - the sort that Parky was slaughtered for yet because it's Powell blame falls at the players' feet.

Totally agree and I'm not saying Powell should be slated either. I wonder why, manager after manager, we get crappy lacklustre performances. Ever since Reed in my opinion. Might say more about the club than it does the manager.
  • Options
    Most managers are either lucky, or unlucky. Every so often along comes one who relies on ability. ( Oneill, Clough, Wenger ). But to most, it's luck.

Parkinson could easily have taken us to Wembley where we could have beaten Millwall ( we were playing well ). Now, in the Championship, he would be our hero .

Powell, brings on Abbott against Posh, and we think it's a master stroke because we grab a lucky win. It was lucky, and now we have to suffer for a few game before he realises it was just luck and we get our strikers back as a front pairing.
    Also, if he thinks Mccormack is more effective than Racon then he is deluded.

Worrying times, should have made a change on 45, then again on 70 if nothing changes. Subs were too late.
  • Options
    I'm sure masicat that you don't care if we don't care for your caring thoughts. Early days yet give him time to learn and perhaps change.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: masicat[/cite]Most managers are either lucky, or unlucky. Every so often along comes one who relies on ability. ( Oneill, Clough, Wenger ). But to most, it's luck.

If you believe that masicat, then you are not as bright as I assumed you were. It's all down to luck apparently.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Danny Addick[/cite]Huge opportunity missed, I had a feeling Slater had asked Powel which game we could win and he chose Exeter for the £5 deal and the attacking line up added fuel to the fire. However, they won't be back after that shower and it won't convince many. Gutted.

To be fair, I doubt Powell had anything to with choice of match. Factors like FA Cup Saturday & Exeter being a 'friendly' club probably had more of an influence.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Danny Addick[/cite]Huge opportunity missed, I had a feeling Slater had asked Powel which game we could win and he chose Exeter for the £5 deal and the attacking line up added fuel to the fire. However, they won't be back after that shower and it won't convince many. Gutted.

To be fair, I doubt Powell had anything to with choice of match. Factors like FA Cup Saturday & Exeter being a 'friendly' club probably had more of an influence.

Chris wasn't involved. It was more to do with half-term, two consecutive Saturday fixtures and Exeter being unlikely to bring as many as, say, Peterborough or Brentford at normal prices. Tranmere might have been a possibility, but we wanted to get on with it.
  • Options
    To those who have waited to say how good Parky was, forget it. Parky has gone, and most of us are pleased by it however nice a bloke he was. The appointment of Chris is the most popular managerial appointment since I started supporting the Club 56 years ago. He basically took over a mess, do you really imagine he is going to turn it round in a few weeks ? Some of you are far too impatient, I am sure that the Directors are planning to review the squad during the Summer with a view to producing a squad capable of reaching the Championship very soon.
    What this Club needs right now is a lot of patience, a positive attitude and maximum support. If you can't do that, find somewhere else to spread your misery.
  • Options
    Im with you Gramps..
  • Options
    Spot on post! There are a lot of people who need to wake up and get real!! We are in the 3rd division for a reason!
  • Options
    we were hanging around the play-off positions - hardly a mess considering the fire sale of summer.
    (and with the current manager of the month)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Granpa[/cite]To those who have waited to say how good Parky was, forget it. Parky has gone, and most of us are pleased by it however nice a bloke he was. The appointment of Chris is the most popular managerial appointment since I started supporting the Club 56 years ago. He basically took over a mess, do you really imagine he is going to turn it round in a few weeks ? Some of you are far too impatient, I am sure that the Directors are planning to review the squad during the Summer with a view to producing a squad capable of reaching the Championship very soon.
    What this Club needs right now is a lot of patience, a positive attitude and maximum support. If you can't do that, find somewhere else to spread your misery.

I totally disagree that Powell took over a mess. Parkys team was fifth when he left, we are now seventh. Parky had to sell or release all of our decent players and he had a very small budget to bring in any new players. I am totally pissed off with the demonisation,by some, of Parky and the beatification of Powell, apart from anything else it isnt fair. I know that Powell is a Charlton hero, i get all that. But Powell and his coaching staff made an error in the formation on Saturday and he was too slow to change it. He is not above criticism. He is a novice in terms of being a Manager and it is a steep learning curve. I will support any Charlton Manager wholeheartedly as i have done for fifty years and i agree we need patience. We have changed the manager too often in the past few years. Lets see what happens in the Summer.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Granpa[/cite]To those who have waited to say how good Parky was, forget it. Parky has gone, and most of us are pleased by it however nice a bloke he was. The appointment of Chris is the most popular managerial appointment since I started supporting the Club 56 years ago. He basically took over a mess, do you really imagine he is going to turn it round in a few weeks ? Some of you are far too impatient, I am sure that the Directors are planning to review the squad during the Summer with a view to producing a squad capable of reaching the Championship very soon.

100% aggree
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Granpa[/cite]To those who have waited to say how good Parky was, forget it. Parky has gone, and most of us are pleased by it however nice a bloke he was. The appointment of Chris is the most popular managerial appointment since I started supporting the Club 56 years ago. He basically took over a mess, do you really imagine he is going to turn it round in a few weeks ? Some of you are far too impatient, I am sure that the Directors are planning to review the squad during the Summer with a view to producing a squad capable of reaching the Championship very soon.
    What this Club needs right now is a lot of patience, a positive attitude and maximum support. If you can't do that, find somewhere else to spread your misery.[/quote]

Well said Granpa.
    I was at the game with 2 of my kids. One of my kids said how did we lose that, especailly by 3-1. We had one off the line in the first half, hit the bar had a couple of shots wide, we created more chances than Exeter, and did not deserve to lose. The fact that we are creating chances under Powell is a massive step in the right direction, under Parky we did create to many chances.
    A big test for Powell will be Friday away to an in form Notts County, if we get a win there, then he will prove that he can motivate and manage a team well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Greenie[/cite]

Well said Granpa.
    I was at the game with 2 of my kids. One of my kids said how did we lose that, especailly by 3-1. We had one off the line in the first half, hit the bar had a couple of shots wide, we created more chances than Exeter, and did not deserve to lose. The fact that we are creating chances under Powell is a massive step in the right direction, under Parky we did create to many chances.
    A big test for Powell will be Friday away to an in form Notts County, if we get a win there, then he will prove that he can motivate and manage a team well.

Our ball retention and passing on Saturday was awful, Exeter and a number of teams in this division hold and pass the ball better. Yes we had a number of chances but our defending was worse than park football.I agree that Notts County will be a big test on Friday and hope that the Man City game will have taken it out of them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dickplumb[/cite]

I totally disagree that Powell took over a mess. Parkys team was fifth when he left, we are now seventh. Parky had to sell or release all of our decent players and he had a very small budget to bring in any new players. I am totally pissed off with the demonisation,by some, of Parky and the beatification of Powell, apart from anything else it isnt fair. I know that Powell is a Charlton hero, i get all that. But Powell and his coaching staff made an error in the formation on Saturday and he was too slow to change it. He is not above criticism. He is a novice in terms of being a Manager and it is a steep learning curve. I will support any Charlton Manager wholeheartedly as i have done for fifty years and i agree we need patience. We have changed the manager too often in the past few years. Lets see what happens in the Summer.

Good post. Parky wasn't the man for the job in the end but he had been doing more than adequately,