Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alternative view, Jeff Winter's match report v Hartlepool

edited February 2011 in General Charlton
After Saturday’s capitulation at Brighton, Pools faced the first of three tough home games in eight days against high flying, in form, promotion chasing Charlton Athletic at Victoria Park.

As I arrived I noticed Huddersfield Town manager Lee Clark, assistant Terry McDermott and Boro number two Mark Venus picking up their tickets. The former two could well be assessing opposition but the Boro connection could be more worrying.

In recent years the likelihood of Boro looking at a Pools player was perhaps remote, but now the big spending neighbours have a totally different budget and it could well be that Pools players are of much greater interest to them.

Pools habit of letting players' contracts run down could bite them on the bum. The likes of Gary Liddle could be prised away for nothing, a ridiculous situation, but before fans start pointing fingers at the Chairman, the situation is part driven by the alarming fall in income from dwindling attendances.

This game, albeit on a stinking wet night and in competition with Champions League games on TV, was to attract only an apathetic 2,289. The club cannot kick on with support and revenue at this level. Those who chose the TV or had spunked their dosh on lovey dovey Valentine's presents were to be the losers as the faithful enjoyed a cracking game and a deserved Pools victory.

The wind and driving rain was going to be a problem but Pools, kicking with the wind, started strongly. I was again on duty as summariser with Mark Simpson on Pools player and it threatened to be a long night when the almost legendary Rob Conway contacted us within minutes of the kick off.

Before going off on one he made an initial good point, asking me what I thought of sin bins? I am very much in favour as the opponents on the day gain the numerical advantage rather than suspensions affecting totally different teams sometime in the future. His idea that for dramatic effect, players are wheeled off in giant bins was perhaps taking the idea a little too far.

Pools continued to press and little was seen of Charlton’s expensive attack, featuring prolific goal scorer Bradley Wright Phillips. It was Pools who took a surprising but deserved lead.

From a free kick just outside the penalty area Evan Horwood fired against the cross bar and Andy Monkhouse reacted quickest to hammer home the rebound past the Charlton keeper. The announcer lifted the crowd with the confirmation of the goal scorer, but wait a minute, that was not the dulcet tones of Dunny!! It was a blast from the past, the voice of John Orley, out of retirement to cover our new mouth on the mike who was sunning his ample bits in Florida.

Dedication to duty my arse, the sun over the wind and rain at the Vic, disgusting. His one match absence has turned into three due to rearranged games. Will he get back? John is already suggesting that if Pools win all three he might want his job back. The price to pay, as Nick suggested on Twitter, will be Now 13 used as the musical background!!

Matt Fry was cautioned as Pools won another free kick. This time Hardwood's attempt went safely into the hands of Rob Elliot. We then saw what the fans love, a tremendous tackle from Paul Murray that saw BWP come off decidedly second best. Welcome to the North East.

It left the highly rated goalscorer a little shell shocked as he gingerly got to his feet. The after effects caused him to go to ground very soon after and some of the morons in the Millhouse, started booing him. For fuck's sake, he was injured, he wasn’t time wasting or play acting. Some people never cease to amaze me!

As per usual Antony Sweeney was giving everything. A tremendous shot stung Eliot’s fingers and the very impressive Ryan Donaldson should have taken a little more time as his shot curled just wide.

That said, the Newcastle loanee was enjoying by far his best game so far, justifying Mick Wadsworth’s decision to start with him. What a difference a second goal would have made just before half time as Charlton were showing signs of danger on their few attacks.

Old habits die hard as John announced one additional minute of added time. I have tired of telling him that the correct announcement is a minimum of one minute!

The Millhouse moron’s (I like that term), just a select few I might add, not everyone, showed their ignorance shortly after the start of the second half. Simon Francis took a hefty and nasty fall into the home dug out but he eventually returned only to immediately collapse on the sodden turf.

"Get him off," cried the idiotic, uncaring prats, oblivious to the fact that he might be seriously injured. They were losing - give me strength!

Then out of nothing, Pools lost possession in Charlton’s penalty area, a punt up field, the skilful Pawel Abbott, instant control, great pass, sublime first touch from Eccleston and bang past Flinders. 1-1, out of the blue, sheer quality, game on.

Pools to their credit responded well. Another great cross from Horwood, cleverly deflected by Donaldson went just wide with Eliot beaten. A brilliant through ball inside the full back from James Brown looked to have too much on it as it gathered pace on the slick surface but Antony Sweeney chased the lost cause, winning a corner kick. The deep kick from Horwood found an unmarked Gary Liddle who headed back across the keeper and defenders into the back of the net. Mark Venus had to be impressed!

It could be a long journey home for the 167 travelling fans, a superb turnout really on a Tuesday night!

The visitors were getting frustrated and former Rangers man Christian Dailly, who had prompted the age old quip from a listener about being a catholic newspaper... hang on a minute, he played for the mighty Glasgow Rangers... should have seen yellow.

Not happy with an obvious thrown in decision against him, he ran towards the assistant pointing a finger at him. That would have been enough for a booking for me.

This was a cracking game, both teams giving 100% in far from easy conditions. OK, we could have been sat at home in the warm watching Rino Gatusso head butt Joe Jordan, but this was a good game.

Both sides were giving their all and the work rate of the players was tremendous. I had backed three goals or more so was sitting pretty, but felt a little guilty as Charlton pressed, as I also had backed the draw and a 2-2 score line.

Sam Collins was cautioned for blocking a clearance from Eliot. Fair enough, but why the visitor's keeper needed to charge from his penalty area to add his two penneth I don’t know. He must have felt two inches tall when from the resultant free kick he fell on his arse.

Much mirth on the Millhouse as Eliot joined Dailly on their boo list. The threatened equaliser almost came as BWP hit the cross bar. Ritchie Humphreys came on for appearance 471 replacing the roundly applauded Donaldson.

RH is now one short of record appearance holder Watty Moore and he could equal it on Saturday and beat it next Tuesday night. Hopefully a few more fans will be there to witness the momentous occasion.

Eccleston picked up a yellow for a lunge in front of the dug out. 'An obvious red,' commented some from over 100 yards away beneath us!

Humphreys almost flicked the ball past Eliot as the keeper charged out of his area and then comically managed to clear the ball. A rather generous five additional minutes were signalled and Mark Simpson started to rant after five minutes and one second. I suggested that it was a minimum of five minutes, but this graduate of the John Orley school of added time was not listening as he bayed for full time.

That was signalled by orgasmic cries from my fellow commentator, who clearly was happy with the outcome. This was only after Pools conceded a couple of unnecessary free kicks and a yellow card for work horse Paul Murray as they gave the opponents a couple of late chances.

Too little too late. A great three points and the frustration of inconsistency that must cause MW night mares. Post match though he was full of praise for his troops. Play-offs - we will see!!

http://www.jeffwinterentertainmentandmedia.co.uk/world/0910083.php

Comments