Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

extended warrantys , fridge freezer

edited February 2011 in Not Sports Related
so with our twins about to arrive any day now we are thinking the fridge freezer we have is nowhere near big enough for us now and are probably gonna buy a much bigger one. Can anyone recommend a good place to get the warranty ? the ones you get from the likes of comet are way over the top obviously

Comments

• Options
    Put the money in a savings account - you'll be quids in even at 0% interest. All warranties are a rip-off.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]Put the money in a savings account - you'll be quids in even at 0% interest. All warranties are a rip-off.

This.

If they try & sell me a warranty, I ask them if they are telling me that the purchased item is not very good and they expect it to break in the next few years. When they say no, then I conclude that I don't need the warranty.
  • Options
    Buy the fridge/freezer from John Lewis

you get a 2 year warranty free
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Crusty54[/cite]Buy the fridge/freezer from John Lewis

you get a 2 year warranty free

This
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]Put the money in a savings account - you'll be quids in even at 0% interest. All warranties are a rip-off.

or this.

I used to work in the insurance team that had Dixons as a client. Dixons (PC World/Currys) made virtually nothing - no margin on the price of the goods. All their profit was in the extended warranty. Thats why they plug it so strongly. I doubt much has changed. In those days the insurance tax was a lot lower than VAT on extended warranties as well so they created insurance vehicles to offer the warranty as an insurance until the government cottoned on and upped the tax rate on extended warranty insurance.

They are generally a total rip off. I have just got rid of the same fridge freezer that we bought 24 years ago! Not because it broke down but because it was going rusty!

Modern ones are less reliable. If you can get one with two compressors they are the better choice. I'd stick one fifth of the cost away in a savings account. They should last at least five years. If you can get a free warranty then so much the better.
  • Options
    Wellingtons in Erith did me a fridge with a decent free warranty, delivered for free and also took my dripping heap of an old fridge away for nothing. Worth a look.
  • Options
    ALL warranties - except those you get free - are a total and utter ripoff. Spend any extra money you would on the warranty on a better appliance.
  • Options
    I used to write some extended warranty business in my underwriting days and most of what you pay goes in commission to the likes of Currys and the brokers. A very small percentage of the upfront premium actually goes to the insurance companies underwriting the risk and they still make a profit.

I have never bought an extended warranty and never will.
  • Options
    Lol, fridge freezer is the least of your worries!

Good luck pal
  • Options
    Fridge/freezers dont go wrong often (i've never had one break on me in 30 years).
    Save your money.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got contents insurance? Don't bother with a warranty.
  • Options
    if you have existing warranty agreements I believe it is possible to add to these if you call the real provider, at a much better price than if not
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]Wellingtons in Erithdid me a fridge with a decent free warranty, delivered for free and also took my dripping heap of an old fridge away for nothing. Worth a look.

Good shop and extremely helpful ... got a lot of stuff there for my daughter when she got her own place.
  • Options
    Can only agree with the rest of the thread in that warranties are a rip off IMO and generally so full of exclusion clauses that they are not worth the paper they are written on. You still have your legal rights if it goes wrong within a reasonable period and if it doesn't go wrong for years then what you've saved in payments will pay for any repair/replacment anyway.

Official advice on warrenties