Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thames Cable Car gets the green light.

Well it's different!

Interesting how we're able to finance this and with a Jubilee stop in nearby Canning Town surely this is just a gimmick.

c41f3fdf11cd01a84d724c896978d8beee93c403.png

Comments

• Options
    would this have a use after the Olympics?

When else would you need to go from Excel to the o2?
  • Options
    Fantastic!
    Where can I buy a ticket?
  • Options
    Strangely enough it's where the relief river crossing for the Blackwall Tunnels is planned to go.

Clearly not a place to interchange with the Jubilee line but the O2 area is to have more development.

Should have interesting views.
  • Options
    Getting planning approval is just one step on the road to getting built. Getting the finance in place and committed is a different thing altogether.
  • Options
    I remember in 1984 starting work at Greenwich station then being moved to Plumstead.As part of our induction we saw the Thames Barrier,as a bunch of 16 year olds we were in hysterics with the amount of used condoms floating by. Why would any one want to view them from a great height?
  • Options
    There's a similar river crossing across The Rhine in Cologne. I tried it once and I'm sure it's part of the reason why I've developed vertigo.

You couldn't pay me to get on it but it's a Thames river crossing, something that's desperately need in East London. so it's good.
  • Options
    I am sure finance shouldn't be a problem.
    We have loads of dosh right?!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]You couldn't pay me to get on it but it's a Thames river crossing, something that's desperately need in East London. so it's good.[/quote]

Agreed, we need another crossing but one that will be used for more than a few weeks in the summer of 2012.

We need another car crossing, or foot tunnel, or even better both. I find it really hard to understand the benifit a cable car would bring to the area after the games.
  • Options
    I was playing devil's advocate a bit there. The thing will have a corporate sponsorship and it's purpose is to link one arena to another so the odds are O2 will sponsor it. What confuses me if that the Excel Centre is owned by a different company to The 02, after the games won't they be competing against each other? If this was designed for tourists, and a cable car is a tourist attraction shouldn't it be built further west? As cafckev said above, this side of London could do with a crossing that cars could use, preferably a bridge as they're easier to deal with in emergencies than a tunnel.
  • Options
    I'd rather build a wall to stop east londoners coming to this side of the river, not help them!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Getting planning approval is just one step on the road to getting built. Getting the finance in place and committed is a different thing altogether.

...nails it. A cable car is an answer to a question nobody's asking. Could be an attraction in its own right, mind.

That said, when Crossrail opens, there'll be a station near the northern cable car stop (at Custom House), which could have its uses.
  • Options
    bound to be a hit