Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sky Atlantic

So you crazy cats who already watch US programs, what can i expect to find on Sky Atlantic that will be any good

any Comedy programs, Gangster,Old Bill, etc

HBO i only know for the boxing and i have never been to the U S of A so i aint got a scooby if i should bother tuning in when it goes live on sky

Comments

• Options
    You MUST watch :

Broadwalk Empire (Emmy award winning gangster series directed by Martin Scorcese)
    Season 7 of Entourage
    Season 5 of Mad Men
  • Options
    First time I've looked forward to a new channel. It'll save me a lot of hard drive space!
  • Options
    You never watched sopranos for a start????

If not do not miss it from the start.

Was, totally, totally gutted when it finished,
  • Options
    Sopranos is a must.

I finished Boardwalk Empire today and it was good, looking forward to the second season.
  • Options
    Of course,if you ain't got HD then you'll have to subscribe first .. or so I believe.

Sopranos is great have just completed Series 3.
  • Options
    Entourage is crap. Most over-hyped piece of toss I've ever seen. Jeremy Piven is great in it - but he's the only thing that's good about the show. Have resisted Mad men up until now, just downloaded season 1 and will give it a go. I waited until all the hype about Lost died down before watching it, and it was all the better for it. Boardwalk Empire is really good, and the Sopranos up to season 4 is also great (it tailed off badly after that though)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]You MUST watch :

Broadwalk Empire (Emmy award winning gangster series directed by Martin Scorcese)
    Season 7 of Entourage
    Season 5 of Mad Men

Can think of two very good reasons to watch Mad men.;-)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: supaclive[/cite]You MUST watch :

Season 7 of Entourage
    Season 5 of Mad Men

Can think of two very good reasons to watch Mad men.;-)
    jaja - they're one of the reasons I finally convinced myself to watch it :o)
  • Options
    never watched sopranos always wanted too just never got round to it.

what is mad men

and entourage
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]never watched sopranos always wanted too just never got round to it.

Buy the box set mate. Best 50 notes youll ever spend. Ive not seen anything better on television drama- wise other than The Wire.

Not seen Mad men so dont know but sounds good from what ive been told.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]
    what is mad men

I have absolutely no idea!
  • Options
    Mad Men is about an advertising agency in the 60's, absolutely quality viewing, failed to meet anyone who has seen it and not loved it.

Entourage is less drama and more of a lighter comedy to be taken at face value, but still one of my favourites and defo worth seeing.

Sopranos is by far the best on offer from Sky Atlantic. I can only echo the comments above, you will stuggle to find anything better.

I find with every single series I watch (and I've seen most of the major US ones) you need maybe half of the first season to really get to grips with everything. I was unsure of Mad Men at the start, and thought that season 1 of the Sopranos was arguably the dullest of the lot, but once you have invested a little time in them, you will almost be begging for the next episode to come around.

As a side note, if you've not seen Curb Your Enthusiasm, give that a go as well. Probably my favourite comedy.
  • Options
    They're bound to show the wire which is obviously amazing.

Out of the new stuff I loved boardwalk empire and am looking forward to seeing treme in HD as well
  • Options
    Watch The Wire if they show it, same with Deadwood, Entourage, Six Feet Under, Boardwalk Empire. Dunno what else they are showing
  • Options
    Also look out for a series called Oz, a drama set in an American high security prison. Best series I have ever watched and I include most other HBO efforts in that!
  • Options
    NLA,

they are showing Sopranos from episode one. Make sure you Sky+ and series link it because i can guarantee it will be the best tv series you have ever seen.

Will give Broadwalk Empire a go as it seems up my street, and also hope they show The Wire which i missed first time round.
  • Options
    Treme is the show I'm looking forward to
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Treme is the show I'm looking forward to

Seen the first season, really good stuff. John Goodman is fantastic as always, but Steve Zahn as Davis is excellent. It's similar to the Wire in terms of its ambition to portray the difficulties of everyday life, but to be honest that's where the similarities end. I think the creators tried to stress that point before releasing Treme, I don't think they wanted people to expect another Wire.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]NLA,

they are showing Sopranos from episode one. Make sure you Sky+ and series link it because i can guarantee it will be the best tv series you have ever seen.

Will give Broadwalk Empire a go as it seems up my street, and also hope they show The Wire which i missed first time round.

Best show after West Wing & Studio 60
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]

Best show after West Wing & Studio 60
    Currently on The West Wing, almost doen with season 4. Love it to bits, never watched Studio 60 though, it been cancelled kinda put me off it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Curb Your Enthusiam is well worth a watch.
    It too starts from Season 1 Episode 1 so set your series link :-)
  • Options
    Yeah Curb is great, although season one isn't the best, series 3 on is brilliant as the writing got a lot better.
  • Options
    Don't have sky, but MadMen moving to Sky is very very annoying, also want to watch Broadwalk Empire. looks like i will be buying dvd box sets
  • Options
    Curb your enthusiasm is proper funny

The Office is my favourite thing on the box, the Gareth character Dwight is insanely amusing

I have only watched about an hour of the wire and Sopranos combined and Boardwalk empire is meant to be the shiznit too.

Deadwood had some excellent swearing in it but I only ever saw one or two episodes

Do you get this if you just have a Sky HD basic package or do you need the works?
  • Options
    It's free for Sky Digital customers so you should have it regardless.
  • Options
    The Wire is far superior to The Sopranos. I finished off series 5 of The Sopranos last night, what a disappointment, they continuously build up to something but never deliver. I've watch The Sopranos on and off, unlike The Wire which was hard to put down as a good book.

I've going to sky plus most of this stuff and not watch it straight away. iI there a way to transfer sky+ to a pc or is it all encrypted?
  • Options

NO!! Don't do this. Once you get into it you'll be chewing your fingers off waiting for the next installment. So go and splash out on the box-set and you can spend days at a time watching this quality show.

IT'S A MUST SEE!!

Not got around to seeing mad men yet (although i did catch the first episode when first aired). Will wait for box-set and indulge myself.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: siblers[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Currently on The West Wing, almost doen with season 4. Love it to bits, never watched Studio 60 though, it been cancelled kinda put me off it.

Give it a go, it was cancelled not because it was not good, but because it wass seen as anti american at the time they were all rallying around Bush and the American flag.

Only a few days to go, for Sky Atlantic but can anyone confrm it is only on HD. For those without HD and not concerned about watching TV on a PC, you can watch many US series on http://watch-series.com/ if you can't see a link search. Apparently its a must for students.
  • Options
    Thw Wire is the best thing that's ever been on TV. Sopranos, Mad Men and 6 Feet Under are all very good too.

Weeds (hot suburban MILF sells weed to give lifestyle going after hubby dies) is silly but very funny. Looking forward to Boardwalk and Song of Ice and Fire.
  • Options
    Got the box set of Sopranos - waiting to start watching. The box set of the Wire got us through last winter. Ebay is great for cheap box sets then sell them on after. So the wire cost me 10 quid all in all.