Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

u18s v Chelsea

edited January 2011 in General Charlton
Well at least one game is on.

@chelseayouth I think is going to be posting updates on Twitter.

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like we've started well and created a few chances-

Fine save from Blackman to deny Jordan Cousins on the break.

This Charlton side aren't a big one but they're all bigger than the Chelsea player they're up against.

Tosan Popo hits the crossbar from eight yards out.

Header just over from Goldberg, Charlton very much on top.
  • Options
    only lost 1-0 and that goal came in last few seconds, sounds like we played really well and just got unlucky and chelsea keeper had a great game.
    Our future looks bright if these players keep on improving.
  • Options
    Thanks for this, Scoham. What a well-balanced and generous report on the Chelsea site. I agree with you, the future does look good with our youngsters. Thanks to Steve Avory and Damian Matthew.
  • Options
    Talking to someone who was at the game this morning, it appears that it was a game of our missed chances and we were penalised at the death by a goal that was apparently blatently handled.It appears that the boys did play well though and were very unlucky.
  • Options
    Here's some feedback from the Chelsea FM researcher, who wrote the above match report-

Connor Gough: Much taller than the last time I saw him, filled out as well. Good communication, had almost nothing to do though. Kicking inconsistent in quality, rarely struggled for distance though, just accuracy and projection.

Connor Morris: Looked a good player, got forward well, good sharp burst from slow start, good stamina, doesn't dive into tackles, smart player.

Semi Ayaji: Gigantic now, seems to have grown 10-12 inches in a year! Hard to judge him today as he was up against a 15 year old (2012 scholar to my knowledge) who is half his size. Did well enough, lost out crucially for the only goal but he was tired then.

Harry Osborne: Played right centre half with Ajayi left, didn't really note much about his performance. Seemed prone to switching off briefly but it wasn't costly, but an unremarkable performance.

Morgan Fox: Similar to Osbourne really, but had a better day. Was up against a schoolboy winger (already 16) and gave him nothing all day, played him intelligently. Struggled more against Todd Kane late on but Kane is one of those sort of players who never gives up and was likely just fitter.

Jordan Cousins: Played in centre mid as the more defensive of the two, controlled the game, played with good strength and commitment. Capable on either foot, had shots with both, should've scored one on his left.

Bradley Jordan: Nice and tidy little player, sort of reminded me of a bigger Josh Wright. Some nice passes, had two left-footed chances at goal which he totally fluffed though. Robust, good closing down, good in tight spaces.

Adebayo Azeez: If he's on his game he can dominate the u18 league through sheer athleticism. Lightning fast, and because he's tall he eats up ground and just gallops past people. Inconsistent crosser, very direct runner, doesn't really try tricks or stepovers etc. Knocks it ahead and just blows past his man. Tired late on.

Callum Harriott: Short, stocky lad, quick feet and absolutely prone to a trick. Lacked end product, seemed to get frustrated easily. Poor corners all day as well.

Tosan Popo: Has grown since I last saw him and seemed to be a bit more refined. Good off the ball, intelligent positioning, had a coupla chances and hit the bar. Sort of player who is quietly involved without being noticed.

Joe Pigott: Big lad for this age group, uses his body well, not up to much on the ground. Wins his fair share in the air but isn't consistent with his headed finishing - missed the target with almost every chance.

Subs were Willer, Camacho and one I don't know but none of them did anything.
  • Options
    Is there any position that Cousins can't play? Seems a stunning prospect, maybe one of the best we've ever had.
  • Options
    Thanks Scoham
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Callum Harriott: Short, stocky lad, quick feet and absolutely prone to a trick. Lacked end product, seemed to get frustrated easily. Poor corners all day as well.

Based on this report, does he remind you of a crowd "favourite" from the past few seasons?

(only joshing)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheers Scoham thanks for updates good to know who to look out for, cousins sounds like he's going to be some player. put him centreback imo, but probably to early this year?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Callum Harriott: Short, stocky lad, quick feet and absolutely prone to a trick. Lacked end product, seemed to get frustrated easily. Poor corners all day as well.

Based on this report, does he remind you of a crowd "favourite" from the past few seasons?

(only joshing)

This is exactly what I've thought whenever I see him.

He could be a seriously great player but needs to address the end prduct and be less greedy. He literally is a carbon copy of Kyel Reid
  • Options
    Adebayo Azeez: If he's on his game he can dominate the u18 league through sheer athleticism. Lightning fast, and because he's tall he eats up ground and just gallops past people. Inconsistent crosser, very direct runner, doesn't really try tricks or stepovers etc. Knocks it ahead and just blows past his man. Tired late on.

Sounds like this kid should be running the 100 metres if he doesn't make it in football.
  • Options
    On Harriott I thought Oggy was talking about Lloyd Sam. He is very similar to Reid I agree. Can lack end product but has something about him that other young wide players in the last few years didn't have.

Azeez is a striker so to be fair to him he was out of position. Has scored a decent number of goals this season when up front.

Cousins it's too early for him but he's not even 17 yet. I liked the look of him at central midfield for England u16s last season, but he's played centre back more often this season. The club might still be working out what they think his main position is.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]

Sounds like this kid should be running the 100 metres if he doesn't make it in football.

Read somewhere about a scheme that UK athletics have to convert young footballers who have been booted out of academies into athletics stars.

Not sure if it is working but as they are young, fit and used to training seems a good idea.