Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Premier League plot a youth revolution in English football

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/8276220/Premier-League-plot-a-youth-revolution-in-English-football.html

Steve Avory, The Charlton Academy Director, wrote about this in the Plymouth programme. Can't find a copy of it on-line but he saw it as a threat to Charlton especially the three tier system.

Comments

• The report does read a bit like it is attempting to make is easier for the premier league clubs to snap up the best young talent. I would hope the grading system is managed by an independent body but I doubt that is likely to happen.

It will be interesting to hear the view of the league on this, although their default position to premier league ideas is to moan about them without generally offering hugely constructive alternatives.
  • Big challenge to the new board in my view.

Slater has said he we have a goal that is above the Championship so this could be seen, slefishly, as a good thing for us when and if we return to the premiership.

But in the meantime we could easily lose out to clubs with bigger funding able to provide the frills and add-ons that we can't.

Currently we can't afford new mini-buses or tracksuits and have fewer coaches than other sides. We do have some good facilities at Sparrows Lane but not sure how they compare with the Prem teams.

The Club are aware of the issue as the Steve Avory article shows but where as before David White was internal champion for the Academy on the board it is no longer clear who is taking on that role or how high up the priorities the Academy sits.
  • The Premier league continues to strangle English football and keep all the best for themselves.....sooner or later this has to implode, otherwise I fear for the lower league clubs.
  • I've got a couple of questions.

1. is this open from the start for non PL clubs but optional as opposed to mandatory for PL clubs?
    2. If not how do they deal with clubs that are relegated?
    a) Do they get the option to stay in?
    b) Can they stay in whilst they are getting parachute payments?
    c) Do they have to resign immediately?
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Big challenge to the new board in my view.

Slater has said he we have a goal that is above the Championship so this could be seen, slefishly, as a good thing for us when and if we return to the premiership.

But in the meantime we could easily lose out to clubs with bigger funding able to provide the frills and add-ons that we can't.

Currently we can't afford new mini-buses or tracksuits and have fewer coaches than other sides. We do have some good facilities at Sparrows Lane but not sure how they compare with the Prem teams.

The Club are aware of the issue as the Steve Avory article shows but where as before David White was internal champion for the Academy on the board it is no longer clear who is taking on that role or how high up the priorities the Academy sits.

Good points, and with Slater having already ducked the Academy question, it becomes a strong contender for the Q&A session
  • More on this from a Championship club Director of Football (sounds odd I know);

Other changes that I have heard happening are
    - changes to the distance ruling - its an hour and a half at the moment, the PL want to change it so that they are able to set up "centres" all round the country
    -Steve Avory wrote in the programme that he was told that compensation would be improved, but the guy I spoke to said he was under the impression that compensation was going to be at a set level for each year they have been in the academy

Needless to say, he was extremely concerned about the future of "smaller" youth academies

He also said that the PL are looking to push the new rules through in exchange for increased payments down the PL to Football League Clubs.

However, he also said that at the moment (well, last Wednesday) that details were sketchy because the PL aren't talking to anyone...hmmm