Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Reports emerging that Alan Irvine has been sacked

wouldn't surprise me really.

Comments

• Last night would've been the final straw. Yeovil with 9 men.
  • Apparently Mandaric has just been on BBC Radio Sheffield saying the reports are untrue.

Expect him to be clearing his desk now!
  • Shame, they have a good squad he was managing to do nothing with
  • wouldn't it be interesting if they offered the job to......

No, let's not go there. Time to move on.

: - )
  • Didn't Mandarich want PP for the Leicester job in the summer ?
  • Not really that surprising if true.

Thought he was quite highly rated when at Preston, but Sheff Wed with a big budget are in a worse position than they should be really.

Can't see Mandaric employing Parky I can imagine he'd want a bigger name.
  • Would not surprise me if he goes sooner rather than later, however Sheffield Wednesday have a very decent squad imho and would not fancy them in the play offs for sure.
  • Mandaric denied he would be sacked yesterday and we all know what that means...
  • Some Wednesday fans are saying he's likely to be sacked after the Hereford match, win, lose or draw.

I didn't really understand the logic, but then I'm surprised he's lasted this long
  • looked on wiki and if true Irvine's win percentage is the same as at his time with Preston (around 40%). Should he be sacked for performing to his previous levels? I guess most people will say yes, but i think it must be difficult to stop a club in freefall.
  • Sponsored links:

• If you were manager of Man United you'd be expected to have a higher win percentage than if you were manager of Wigan though? And if you were the manager of a team that got relegated you'd be expected to improve your stats while playing in a lower league though, surely?
  • [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]If you were manager of Man United you'd be expected to have a higher win percentage than if you were manager of Wigan though? And if you were the manager of a team that got relegated you'd be expected to improve your stats while playing in a lower league though, surely?

I think it depends on how much of a mess the club is in when you takeover, what the resources you have available etc. But yes i agree the percentage should be higher in the lower division. The win percentage also includes games played in the Championship.
  • To be fair he's a walking P45

Financial troubles yes but somehow he's still managed to get out of the board (old and new):

Nicky Weaver
    Jon Otsemobor
    Paul Heffernan
    Clinton Morrison
    Chris Sedgwick
    Gary Teale
    Giles Coke
    Neil Mellor (loan)

and now more recently:

Reda Johnson
    Gary Madine
    Michael Morrison
    Mark Reynolds

Comparatively, they've only lost two important players under Irvine - Tudgay, Grant

That's a hell of a lot in wages and signing on fees and more recently a fair amount of transfer fees for our division as well.
  • Finally gone:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/sheff_wed/9385962.stm

The guy can't say it wasn't coming! Wonder who's taking over? A revitalised Wednesday is bad news for us!
  • Wednesday can do what they want. Everything is still in our own hands in terms of automatic promotion.

I like that.
  • This is true WSS and I like your positive attitude.

But: they'll be thinking the same and are more likely to succeed with some good direction.
  • At least we've played them twice, maybe they can take points off of some of our competitors?
  • IAIN DOWIE has thrown his hat in the ring according to Talksport
  • edited February 2011
    Fingers crossed Parky gets the job as according to some of you lot he is a crap manager.
  • Gary Megson appointed new boss of Sheffield Wednesday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Could go one of two ways this.

They have a good squad, they have a MASSIVE support if the local spirits are lifted and Megson has had success before, albeit by pretty appalling means.

Or, if he doesn't have an instant impact, it could go very very wrong!
  • Sheffield Wednesday have the best squad in the league in my opinion, certainly are the biggest club in it. just need some consistency and somebody to point them in the right direction. Not sure if Mandaric is the right person to provide that though.
  • edited December 2014
    Finally
  • Back home:

Pardew to Palace
    OFF_it to CL
    Big Ron To WBA
  • No idea how he got the job in the first place
  • Looking like pulis to take over
  • Was inevitable it wouldn't last long. Bizarre appointment. Who next, Megson?
  • The only shock here is how long he lasted.
  • Looking like pulis to take over

Good news. Should be one less team likely to finish below palace.