Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Views - Charlton Athletic 2-0 Plymouth Argyle (2011)

edited January 2021 in General Charlton
All the usual post match moaning in here.... oh wait we won....erm dunno what your meant to do here....

Comments

• Options
    Should be a quiet weekend on CL then...

Three points and importantly most other results went our way.
  • Options
    Yahoooo!
  • Options
    plymouth are no mugs so a great win.
  • Options
    is a search engine.
  • Options
    damn it
  • Options
    Left my player on and commentator just done a sound check ready for CP interview if anyone still tuned in. Should be on in a minute (just hearing quiet b/ground noise at the mo)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Awesome win, great for Ecclestone and us, (as well as Waggy of course)...but, f*****g franchise!
  • Options
    just about to start interview if anyone wants to tune in
  • Options
    the first thing CP said when he spoke was that he'd resigned. :-) obviously before going on air
  • Options
    First win at home by more than 1 goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: tangoflash[/cite]the first thing CP said when he spoke was that he'd resigned. :-) obviously before going on air

100% record as Charlton manager
  • Options
    great result against potentially tricky opponents - how long have we got Ecclestone for?
  • Options
    A good win for us today for lots of reasons. CP has a win under his belt. Great to see KP congratulating the players as they came off too. Eccy looks very quick. Great goal. Waggy's work rate paid off for him. So good reason to feel happy tonight. For most of the game we did ok without really setting the world alight, but we seemed solid and we got the result.
    But I was impressed with Eccy, he could help make the difference based on that little cameo today...
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    For 60 odd mins it was the same old home performance. IMO if Seip hadnt gifted us that goal I'm not convinced we wouldve scored. Great goal from Eccleston.

Plymouth were awful.

Lots of work to be done.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]great result against potentially tricky opponents - how long have we got Ecclestone for?

End of the season.
  • Options
    I agree with form on the lots of work to do.

Hoever the movement was better the game contributed to the 1st goal under Parkinson the atmosphere would have been more negative it gave the players the chance to get to grips with tempo and they were off the pace. We picked one but imo we were the better team across 90 mins and the result in the end a fair one
  • Options
    Solid, solid, solid.

No natural wingers in the midfield so lacked the cutting edge. Only looked threatened for a brief spell in the middle of 2nd half when we lost Racon and Jackson but regained our composure.

Good foundation to build on.
  • Options
    Good win and a clean sheet plus I had 2 nil and waggy first goal at 28-1

OK plymouth offered next to nothing bar some long range shots but they still had to be beaten.

Lucky? Not IMHO. Waggy capitalised on a mistake.

Impressive home debut for eccelston and neat finish.

Macca my MOTM. Solid and aggressive all game against a thugish argyle plus some good attacking moves.

Hope jackson is OK

Atmosphere a bit flat first half but bouncing at the end.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]I agree with form on the lots of work to do.

Hoever the movement was better the game contributed to the 1st goal under Parkinson the atmosphere would have been more negative it gave the players the chance to get to grips with tempo and they were off the pace. We picked one but imo we were the better team across 90 mins and the result in the end a fair one

Said it at the time, can you imagine what the reaction wouldve been at HT if that game had been played 2-3 weeks ago.
  • Options
    Don't agree Plymouth were awful, they had a residue of players used to playing at a higher level, and their basic performance was OK, they were tough tobeat, and the result was all the better for that.
    The reason fortune favoured us today was because we earned any luck due to a positive effort, the ball runs for you a bit when you play with energy and belief.
    Damian Matthew is our new first team coach
    When Waggy scored Chris told every single player bar Robbie to join in the celebrations down by the tunnel area.
    The overall vibe was very good today.
    Only one of our throw ins was not a foul throw by Woolwich and District League standards.
    The ref went off injured, but overall the team of officials was the best we've had this season.
    Plymouth didn't seem to use even one sub....saving appearance money?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First half was very poor. We still have no creativity and their goalkeeper was not tested once. Having said that neither was Robbie. Must be obvious to Chris that this lot ain't going up without a few reinforcements. Right back is essential as Francis is woeful. Midfield don't create so that's another. There were positives. Waggy worked hard and was persistent. A good eighty mins on the pitch for Anyinsah and the centre of the defence looked comfortable albeit because Plymouth were hapless. Nice cameo from Eccleston and well taken goal although he did get the rub of the green. We finished the game with Waggy, Abbot, Reid and Eccleston all on the pitch which I don't think Parky would have done. Lot of hard work needed and the magnitude of the job must be now clear to Chris. Happy bunny tonight. Best I have felt walking up Charlton Church Lane for a very long time.
  • Options
    Good save from there keeper in the first half when he stopped Waggy chipping him.

The difference for me is we wanted to pass it, the default under Parky was to hit long, today we wanted to play a pass and get the ball down and work. Perhaps we over passed, but rather that then launching it.

All in all good, and with potential to get better.
  • Options
    Forgot to say how disappointed I was with the size of the crowd. Thought someone said that 18,800 had been sold yesterday ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    Macca my MOTM. Solid and aggressive all game against a thugish argyle plus some good attacking moves.
    Really? I must have seen a different game, thought he offered very little apart from sideways or backwards passing
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    we were brilliant second half but plymouth were utter
  • Options
    BTW very clever to play Wagstaff as a central player, means he has to be involved and he looks a better players for it. When he's out wide he drifts in and out of games, but today he was everywhere.
  • Options
    Col, the peach of cross he played when JJ was injured, the one twos to set francis away more than once on top of all the defensive work. Credit where credit is due to macca.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]

The difference for me is we wanted to pass it, the default under Parky was to hit long, today we wanted to play a pass and get the ball down and work. Perhaps we over passed, but rather that then launching it.

Just what I thought we were patient and it was obvious there was a deliberate intention to get the ball on the floor and focus on keeping the ball and not whacking it up the other end. Great result.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Col, the peach of cross he played when JJ was injured, the one twos to set francis away more than once on top of all the defensive work. Credit where credit is due to macca.

Agree Henry. Macca looked a very different player today. Was impressed.
  • Options
    Great win today remember people get down to the valley for all the games.Also buy a ticket for £5 on the 19th feb any stand.