Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lennie Lawrence (Confirmed as Palace Assistant Manager)

Comments

• Options
    from 1935-1966 charlton and millwall were separated in the league.there was no rivalry then, i mean how could there be? it would have been like liverpool and tranmere.
  • Options
    I will always have a place for Lenny in my heart he is a Legend but obviously Old age has started to cloud his judgement.

I would wish him good luck in his new role but i dont so i wont.
  • Options
    Agree wiith Oggy and Bing.

Don't know how anyone can dare knock him.

Once a legend always a legend.

Good luck, Lennie. Not enough for Palace to avoid relegation, mind. But nothing can ever undo what you did for Charlton and anyone who was there with you in the 1980s will always hold you in the highest esteem.
  • Options
    Can't seriously hold it against him but what a great shame, especially if he helps keep them up.
  • Options
    Good luck Lenny. I hope it works out for you but just remember these words...You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
  • Options
    How many people held it against John Humphrey or Paul Mortimer when they went to Crystal Palace? The man wants to work and the Palace job is a good one.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    JS was "forced" to retire by the club - he was ill and the manner of his departure wasn't the greatest moment in our history. Its all in his book.

Bing - not in my copy of the book. My edition of The Jimmy Seed Story was published in 1947.

Was there a later revised and updated edition? Or did he write a second book?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]

At least curbs confirmed to me he would never "whore" himself out to palace ......

Yeah.And if you believe that you'll believe anything.
    Curbs has got his price same as anyone.If the arabs rolled up in selhurst tomorrow and declared their interest in Curbs do you seriously think he'd get all sentimental?
    No chance.You should treat a managers kiss of the badge the same way you would treat a players.It's just a job at the end of the day.Lennie just has to set his sights a little lower these days.

Good luck Lennie.I will now hate you because of where you are.But do i blame you for doing it? Not at all.
  • Options
    Lennie is a legend! Get over it!!
  • Options
    Think lovely Lennie is well past his sell-by date tbh.
    Although If we get to play Palace anytime soon and I see him in the Selhurst dugout I might just get a little misty eyed over a past life.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Agree Floyd, clearly 1.

Oh dear AFKA
    This is your first post in many years that I havent agreed with.
    (FACT)

And yes, my sarcasm detector is currently malfunctioning!
  • Options
    I hope he is a success like he was at his 6 previous clubs.
    He should have applied to B&Q if he needed a job.
  • Options
    To be honest I never fell out of love with Steve Gritt so I won't with Lennie either, far too many happy memories attached to both, I would rather he had gone anywhere but Palace but a jobs a job and he's local and probably could do with the cash. I will wish him luck with his next club after the glaziers!
  • Options
    kentaddick 7 hours ago quote# 34
    Posted By: Ormiston Addick
    Strange move, I can't recall Lennie ever managing Freedman during his career so how do they even know each other?

If you honestly believe that everyone in football doesn't know each other you are incredibly naive mate.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks for the patronizing post "mate" - I don't think I am "incredibly naive" but nor am I so ill mannered that I would go around casting aspersions about people I don't know.

Regardless, it looks like they DO know each other.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/crystal_palace/9368557.stm

I would be interested to know how they do know each other, they don't have a single club in common and have never even been in the same city at the same time.
  • Options
    Dont like the fact that he's gone to palace but not many gigs he'd get in an area he wants to spend his life at his age.

The man's gotta work and i dont suppose he's earned silly money in his career. Unless of course we have all meant to be chipping contributing to the "Keep Red Legends out of the Red" campaign that Im unaware of!
  • Options
    Still a legend.
  • Options
    Its not great is it....

I just hope he can relegate them...
  • Options
    Disapointed by this. Lennie detested palace and didn't exactly make it a secret, even hinted at it publicly. May be a long time ago but am very suprised.
  • Options
    Ormiston... been waiting for your response to that earlier post ...... mate!
  • Options
    With Soapy & Silk on this one.

More importantly, Oggy has reiterated his legend status in my eyes!!!!

What Lennie did let no man put asunder!

Anyhoo, when the Nigels have to ground share @ the new Brighton stadium, even Lennie will have a giggle!

Sorry. I will never be able to be mad/angry/annoyed at Lennie. He's the first real Charlton manager I had any affinity to.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]
    What Lennie did let no man put asunder!

Well said, Lil'sis!

If any Addick has forgotten exactly what Lennie achieved for our club, you owe it to yourself to refresh your memory.
  • Options
    Hi Incorruptible,

You wrote:"Bing - not in my copy of the book. My edition of The Jimmy Seed Story was published in 1947.
    Was there a later revised and updated edition? Or did he write a second book?"

I have a first edition of the book, "The Jimmy Seed Story by himself", published in 1957 by Phoenix Sports Books.

The book was evidently written after he was sacked by Charlton after 23 years as manager, as he makes reference to his then current position as "Advisor" at Bristol City.

I am sure we will both agree that it is a fascinating autobiography ..... his early career as a player with Sunderland, Mid Rhondda, Spurs (winning the FA Cup and capped by England) and skippering Sheff Weds, and managing Clapton Orient before coming to Charlton.

Creating a then record of consecutive promotions from Third to First, before missing out on the title by a single point.

Put in a bid to sign the best footballer in the land .... Stanley Matthews.

Getting Charlton to 2 consecutive FA Cup Finals, winning the FA Cup and smashing it!

Signing foreign international players like Hans Jeppson and Eddie Firmani, etc for then top-flight Charlton.
    And lots more ......

For those who are curious about the story of Charlton Athletic, a large chunk of the book is devoted to it.
    If you can get your hands on a copy, it's a must read.
  • Options
    Behave yourselves. Still a CAFC legend.

The way Curbs slated us (club *and* fans) when he went to Wet Sham left a much more bitter taste in the mouth (and of course he is also still a CAFC legend).

Who gives a flying one about Palace?

I wish him good luck in his career, just like I wished Johnny H
  • Options
    Oggy and Incorruptible,

I have two version of the book, the original and a reprint done a few years ago.

From memory he deals with his departure and the shock of it. He doesn't slag off the Glickstens but you are given the impression that this affected him badly and he felt he was owed more loyalty than they gave him.

Anyway JS and Lennie were and will always remain legends as far as I am concerned.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Thanks, all is clear now regarding Sir Jimmy Seed's literary outpourings.

What I am holding in my hand is ''Soccer From The Inside'' by - as the original dust jacket delightfully puts it - ''Jimmy Seed, Ex-International Player & Successful Club Manager'', published in 1947.

Parts of this, it seems, were reworked and expanded with new and updated material as ''The Jimmy Seed Story'' a decade later (Soccer From The Inside only has 112 pages, and looks very much like a product of a publishing industry still recovering from paper rationing). Don't have a copy of the '57 book and would offer good money for one if anyone has one they are prepared to sell...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: boggzy[/cite]
    The way Curbs slated us (club *and* fans) when he went to Wet Sham left a much more bitter taste in the mouth

Where did he slag the Club and fans .... If by mentioning the truth about our pitiful away support is a slate then fair enough , its the truth
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: boggzy[/cite]The way Curbs slated us (club *and* fans) when he went to Wet Sham left a much more bitter taste in the mouth (and of course he is also still a CAFC legend).

Eh?
    Care to expand?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Oggy and Incorruptible,

I have two version of the book, the original and a reprint done a few years ago.

From memory he deals with his departure and the shock of it. He doesn't slag off the Glickstens but you are given the impression that this affected him badly and he felt he was owed more loyalty than they gave him.

Anyway JS and Lennie were and will always remain legends as far as I am concerned.

Would i be right in assuming this book has never been re-published and apart from trawling old bookshops, you can't buy a copy? Would love to read it sometime but don't hold out much hope of getting a copy
  • Options
    Oooh Ahh and Floyd:

There was a point where there was the odd quote from him about twice a week once he'd joined. One I have recollections of was some crap about how he met some WH fan at a garage and mentioned West Ham fans were real fans as they demanded success, and truly loved the club whereas if that had been a CAFC fan, they would have just been meek etc. That's the difference between a big club like WH etc.... I really can't remember, was a long time ago now, but there were several instances of this type of sniping.

If it had been about our away support, I'd have no qualms, agreed totally with what Deano and Murphy said when they left re plastic fans and pitiful away support - it was the truth.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply.
    As a fairly avid follower of all things Charlton, these 'constant snipes' escaped my radar.

As they dont seem to fit with the man's honourable professionalism, I will allow Curbs' image to remain unsullied in my eyes!
    I am sorry you have this memory of the man.