Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anyone on here done any football coaching badges?

It's something I have been keen on for ages but never got around to doing.

Now I am trying to get myself fitter and I'm thinking this could be one of my "goals" to aim for - get fitter and do the badges and try a spot of coaching.

any advice much appreciated

Comments

• Level 1 is a hummer but have to do it before you can attempt level 2

Level can be tough but depends who your assessor is, mine was Keith Boanas. week off work, coursework, fitness
    ain't really an issue but it helps.
    You do learn a lot regardless of how well you think you know the game.

Couldn't complete level 3/EUFA b due to work commitments.
  • edited January 2011
    Definitely worth doing, Swisdom.

Things will have changed since I did the FA badge (more than 20 years ago) but, just like doing the referee's course, you'll get a greater insight into the game and a chance to look at things from a different perspective. Plus it will give you an opportunity to put something back into the game once you finish playing.

There is, of course, no single coaching style, so beware of being taught things on the course that may not sit perfectly with your personal preferences. For example, you may hate long-ball football, but you need to know how to play it and how to deal with it. It's all part of the football education.

Not sure that it will help with your fitness, but it will do wonders for your self-confidence (if you need it) and your teaching skills. Work with kids, women and mens teams if you get a chance. They're all different.
  • I've got level 1 & 2 it's def worth doing .
  • OK - and do you have to do it all through the FA website? or are there alternate sources?

And for those of you that have badges - do you actually use them? or is it just something you wanted
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]OK - and do you have to do it all through the FA website? or are there alternate sources?

And for those of you that have badges - do you actually use them? or is it just something you wanted

Yes, still active ... although less so now than I used to be. I played and coached for years at reasonable level. But, at almost 59, I leave it for the younger generation, although I step in now and again when requested. A sort of a poor man's Keith Peacock, if you will.

Most of my coaching now is done on the Internet via a keyboard.

:-)
  • Got Level 1, wanted to do 2 but never got round to it. Now can't afford it, and if i told my missus i was using up a weeks leave to go off and do some football coaching i'd lbe ikely to get my clipboard shoved a fair distance up my technical zone....
  • Used mine, coached at Millwall for a couple of years, now coach Phoenix u15

Money came in handy but change of jobs made me pack the Millwall coaching in.

I would contact London leisure college(via Greenwich community college) as well as they used to run them.

For those that haven't done them and think they know the game, well, let's just say you don't !!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]OK - and do you have to do it all through the FA website? or are there alternate sources?

You need a badge to be accepted into a club if you don't really know anyone there or you are looking to do coaching. Like previous posts, level 1 is pretty easy. I'm doing my level 2 this year through the KCFA. I've not decided a date yet. The cost is £375 and it's a weeks course with 2 more support days 6 months later.

You do use some of the coursework that you do, esp if you are coaching kids, because it is simple stuff. Jog, turn, pass etc.... I've watched many games over the years and tend now to get to the games I watch early so I can pick up tips on warm ups, and drills from the pro teams. I adapt most drill that I know so they are relevant to the tactics for my team.

Give it a bash mate, it's good fun and you will learn lots of things you never thought of. I love coaching and managing, it's the next best thing to actually playing.
  • Both my sons( twins) did there level one badge at Sparows lane, which was free to Bexley residents a few years back.

I did my Junior league managers badge over 10 years ago ( you needed it to run a junior Bexley league side), combined with my post graduate certificate in teaching from London Uni, I thought at the time this was the basic level at that time. I think you probably have to have an FA charter, and child protection courses now, to protect you and the children.

This was junior level football circa 20001 onwards, and if I was doing this now would want to get at least level 2 or above!, as well as guidance from the club/league that you played in.

When I started managing quite a few coaches/managers were NOT qualified in anyway!. When I proposed that we had Insurance, for the players people laughed!..... they stopped doing that, three broken bones later from the players!. It is a shame that as a parent and teacher you have to have all this nowaday's , but I would not dream of doing it now-adays without probably a fully qualified FA coach.

In fact I had quite a close relationship with Charlton and the community scheme at the school, and of course Charlton were excellent and was one of the first in the UK at the time.
  • Hillsy,

I get there early too for tips on warm ups etc.

I kid you not, I went wembley to watch England the other month with the boy and do e the same, got there an hour early too watch the warm up which consisted of the following.

Pass and shoot at the keeper, kick ups, and passing in groups of four.

It was shocking mate, I've seen vets sides do better warm ups.

Needless to say they were crap and drew 0-0
  • Sponsored links:

• Doing my first badge on Saturday level 1 course. Heard various things about how it's a waste of time but you need it to get on the coaching ladder.

At 26, watching football and playing regulary up unitl a few years ago I feel I am a good fit to get into coaching. With Englands recent failures in major tournaments, you'd think that now is time to get people involved in grassroots.

I'd like to think that with no ties at the moment (kids and wife) I have the time to get into helping out at a kids team training session and on a matchday. Any lifers running teams in the Eltham/Sidcup/Bexley area who'd like some assistance?