Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

First Managerial Job

I heard a stat this morning (admittedly I was bleary-eyed, pre-coffee and in my usual pre-commute rush)... 30-something of the 72 league managers are in their 1st managerial job in football. So I thought I would see how it works out in our division for example... here is a list of managers in League 1, the number job this is for them and their first year in sole charge as a permanent manager - makes an interesting read:

Bournemouth - Eddie Howe (1) 2009
Brentford - Andy Scott (1) 2007
Brighton & Hove Albion - Gus Poyet (1) 2009
Bristol Rovers - Dave Penney (4) 2001
Carlisle United - Greg Abbott (1) 2008
Charlton Athletic - ?
Colchester United - John Ward (6) 1991
Dagenham & Redbridge - John Still (5) 1986
Exeter City - Paul Tisdale (2) 2001
Hartlepool United - Mick Wadsworth (CARETAKER) (9) 1993
Huddersfield Town - Lee Clark (1) 2008
Leyton Orient - Russell Slade (5) 2001
Milton Keynes Dons - Karl Robinson (1) 2010
Notts County - Paul Ince (5) 2006
Oldham Athletic - Paul Dickov (1) 2010
Peterborough United - Darren Ferguson (3) 2007
Plymouth Argyle - Peter Reid (6) 1990
Rochdale - Keith Hill (1) 2006
Sheffield Wednesday - Alan Irvine (2) 2007
Southampton - Nigel Adkins (3) 1993
Swindon Town - Danny Wilson (6) 1994
Tranmere Rovers - Les Parry (1) 2009
Walsall - Dean Smith (CARETAKER) (1) 2011
Yeovil Town - Terry Skiverton (1) 2009

If we leave out Dean Smith at Walsall as he is a bona fide caretaker, but count Mick Wadsworth at Hartlepool as he's done a great job and has a fair chance of being "permanent"... considering he's been taking care since August!

That's 22 clubs with a "permanent" manager in our league
10 are in their first permanent job as the main man = 45%
13 have been in the job as the main man with five or less years of experience = 59%
8 have been in the job as the main man with under three years of experience = 36%

Comments

• Interesting - Good post
  • All managers have to start somewhere, the current media darling Ian Holloway was untried, untested, inexperienced when he took over at Bristol Rovers after serving them on the field for many seasons beforehand. I'm even sure that back in 1974, East Stirlingshire fans were questioning their board's sanity for appointing a 32 year old with only a coaching role behind him in the way of experience.
  • Perhaps we should expect a lot of 1st time managers with the state of football as it is. Everyone is so fickle and so set on instant success that lots of mangers will be outed before they have a chance to show their value. Not getting your team into the play off zone is generally taken as a sign of incompetence and is considered a reasonable reason for sacking. And who would want to employ someone who hasn't proved themselves? Therefore loads of newby potential managers are bound to get taken on, whist people with a moderate level of experience get dropped like hot potatoes because they haven't proved themselves to be worthy.