Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Blackpool 2 Liverpool 1

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Who was the player who turned down Blackpool in the summer window to play for a Champ club?

Brett Pitman? Although there may have been another player.

After a slow start, doing well at Bristol City. Think after goalless 12 games, has 8 in 9. Unsure the exact reasons why he chose not to go to Blackpool but maybe he felt the Prem was too big a step up too soon. After all, despite a hat trick against Peterborugh in August he was unproved at League 1 level and at his age- there is plenty of time to develop and get to the Premiership.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Bolton have absolutely eye-watering debts, they are in the Pompey range apparently.

If they go down they are toast.

I didn't realise their debts were of the Pompey/Wet Spam proportions.

It seems that Charlie Adam may be on his way, although Holloway is trying to keep him at least until the end of the season.

It was reported today that Blackpool players are all on £10K a week - not bad for most of us but not Premier League average. Thats £500K per annum per player. Lets assume that say haf there squad is on that number, 13 x £500K is £6.5M. Lets assume that the rest are on say £5K a week. Thats 12 x £250K which is £3.25M. So £9.75M for the playing staff. Then the manager and all the coaches. Say another £2M giving a footballing wage cost of around £12M per annum. Add transfer budgets, signing on fees, admin staff and Directors remuneration and you will eat up quite a bit more. With revenues over £30M you can still see how they might turn a profit.

On the other hand if they start edging the wages up towards say the Premier League average, then you can see how you soon might run out of money very easily and run into debt. Compound this over a number of years and you can see how clubs can suddenly be in serious debt.

This is the nightmare that faces clubs of modest means, despite the money for being there.
  • Options
    i couldnt believe the match i was actually watching...

Blackpool were doin fancy flicks n backheels all over the Liverpool D!
    Liverpool couldnt get the ball to their forwards. The last 7-8 minutes of the game (where i would expect LPool to send men forward and take chances...) Lpool couldnt even clear the ball of out their own half! Raul Meirles is the biggest waste of midfield space i have ever seen. 11 million ... ha .. .what a rip off!

Shelvey did nothing but give the ball away about 3-4 times in the 10 minutes he played too...
  • Options
    Maybe Liverpool fans just need to accept their team/squad isn't as good as they think/expect it to be?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]Bolton have absolutely eye-watering debts, they are in the Pompey range apparently.

So Bolton are not only punching above their weight, they are spending above it too.

As are most of the Premiership, of course.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]It seems to me that, contrary to people's protests on this ite and others, that the fans are often the[strike]'problem'[/strike]difficulty.
    I say this because the only real reason for not just doing as I suggest is that it shows a lack of ambition to the fans. I would nevertheless be happy to see Charlton take this approach if we ever got to The Premiership again (although admittedly not happy with this approach upon promotion to The Championship).

Perhaps fans of clubs like Blackpool, Burnley and Charlton would not be adverse to such an approach so long as it was pretty clear that thiswasthe approach. I think that if you get in The Premiership you should continue to play Championship wages. Players who find a higher paying club can leave and new players have to accept the wage strucure. If you go down (as a result of this strategy?) then you're not in financial trouble and you can dust yourself down and start again.

Hmmmm, try selling that one when you've lost ten in a row in the Premiership.

"Why don't we have any ambition?" "Where's the money gone?" "Sack the board?"

Such a rational approach would take the patience and understanding that modern fans simply don't have.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]It seems to me that, contrary to people's protests on this ite and others, that the fans are often the[strike]'problem'[/strike]difficulty.
    I say this because the only real reason for not just doing as I suggest is that it shows a lack of ambition to the fans. I would nevertheless be happy to see Charlton take this approach if we ever got to The Premiership again (although admittedly not happy with this approach upon promotion to The Championship)..

Put it another way. With their current manager and team, and under strict wage limits, Blackpool are not far at all from qualifying for Europe. If they were instead to invest the money they receive for being in the Premier League in their current team (instead of putting it all in a piggybank for the rainy day that might never come), who knows what they might achieve? With fans, manager, players and board pulling together, they could actually be a force and Bloomfield Road could be a fortress. Why can the board not see that Ollie is capable of achieving great things, not just hanging on in this division with a team of odds and ends?

That's just another way of looking at it.

From the outside it's easy to feel like we know it all, but when it was us knocking on the door to Europe we didn't think that we were a Championship level club who should be happy enough to stay solvent and in the Premier League.
  • Options
    That Varney fella at blackpools playing really well isnt he? I swear I remember people saying he wasn't good enough for us? Amazing what a lack of pardew as manager does!
  • Options
    funny old game...
  • Options

poor old blackpool , took the cheap approach and it failed

liverpool improved dramatically

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would rather have Blackpool still in the top flight than some egg chasing spin off, half baked, meagerly supported team and bloody Mick McCarthy and his ugly lot.

Unfortunately they were one or two players off a squad capable of defending, and relied on Adam way too much