Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eddie Howe thread (Staying with Bournemouth)

Comments

• Options
    FFS ia, can we put all this bloody back biting to bed now please? Whoever comes in, we should unite behind him in a way we never did with Parky, otherwise his days will be numbered from the start.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: insufferable addick[/cite]If a new manager take us up, it will merely be what is expected (and there will be plenty of ungrateful types on here claiming it was all Parkinson's doing). If they don't take us up, they will get slaughtered (and sneered at on CL for throwing away the promotion that Parkinson had worked so hard to ensure).

Sometimes you are insufferable.

I wish you would stop baiting people.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Update for you - Eddie Howe's just been on our local news talking about the speculation surrounding him at the moment. Very circumspect and saying all the right things about how much he loves and is concentrating on AFCB at the moment but then that you never know what the future holds, etc, etc. Very much got the impression that he is on his way but to us or Palace???

For all those suggesting his lack of experience is a factor just what age was Curbs when he took over? What 'experience' did Lennie have? I think those two prove you don't have to be 50 plus with a 100 caps to your name to be a great manager and a great appointment for Charlton.

I have to declare a vested interest in pushing Howe's credentials as the first person to throw his name in the hat, when we appointed Parky two years ago, (and was laughed off the board too!) so major bragging rights if he pulls it off!*

*I'll deny all knowledge of this he gets the job and cocks up of course ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]

Parky has left us in a decent position, I don't think anyone has claimed anything more than that.

Hardly a lose lose situation. They're getting a chance to add to the squad with money we haven't had in years and if they don't take us up they'll most likely get another chance next season. It's a good challenge for a big name and a step up for a manager at a smaller club.

Well Parky has left us three points off 11th place, and with most of the teams within reach of us having a game in hand. So ''decent position''? Sort of. But with everything left to be done - which was my point.

May be it's not a bad position for a young and upcoming manager like Howe to inherit. But when I said lose-lose I was thinking of a heavyweight who might take over - a Curbishley, or a Hoddle or a Poyet. They would be expected to take us up so would not get huge kudos if they succeeded - and would have a very large chunk of their reputations to lose if they didn't.

And you say they would probably get ''another chance'' in div three next season? I'm sure there is nothing they would hate more. A second season in div three would be purgatory to a Hoddle or a Curbishley - and to a Poyet, if the team he had left to manage us had gone up and we hadn't.

Which is why we might find it hard to attract a heavyweight and why the likes of Howe, who still has everything to prove, may yet come into the equation.
  • Options
    Just a thought, if it was going to be Wise they could have announced it by now.He is not currently in a job is he? Why leave us in limbo?
  • Options
    I'm another who would welcome Eddie Howe. He has done a brilliant job with Bournemouth, taking a club that looked destined to go out of the league to serious promotion candiates to the championship inside three years; all on very limited resources. As mentioned above he is the same age as Curbishley was when he became joint manager, the main difference Howe already has experience and success under his belt. Of course some on here would like a higher profile.. manager: someone like Pardew perhaps.
  • Options
    Based on the radio interview AFC heard, I'd say he's going to join us or Palace imminently!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: happyvalley[/cite]Just a thought, if it was going to be Wise they could have announced it by now.He is not currently in a job is he? Why leave us in limbo?

I'll give you two reasons straight off (lifted from other threads):

1. Get the Spurs match out of the way under a caretaker so doesn;t matter if we get tonked
    2. Give it a bit of time, float a few bigger or more acceptable names, then when Poyet/ Howe etc don't arrive, Wise becomes the "saviour" choice.
  • Options
    Could it be that Howe comes in as a coach and is helped out by an experienced Director of Football?
  • Options
    One of my best mates knows Howe, used to play at Bournemouth with him, go on hols together, etc.

I'll see what I can find out!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    really hope he goes somewhere else after this dramatic week at the club how uninspiring would a manager from bournemouth be,talk about like for like
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]really hope he goes somewhere else after this dramatic week at the club how uninspiring would a manager from bournemouth be,talk about like for like

What he's done at Bournemouth is magnificent

Absolutely amazing
  • Options
    great but lets reach higher im sure his not on there radar anyway its going to be a old school manager who teaches them how to play the game
  • Options
    I think Howe would be a great choice, although I am a little worried that like his playing career he won't do much when away from Bournemouth. Didn't we try to sign him under Curbs? Think he turned us down because he wanted to stay at Bournemouth.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]I think Howe would be a great choice, although I am a little worried that like his playing career he won't do much when away from Bournemouth. Didn't we try to sign him under Curbs? Think he turned us down because he wanted to stay at Bournemouth.

Who wouldn't want to stay in Bournemouth ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]I think Howe would be a great choice, although I am a little worried that like his playing career he won't do much when away from Bournemouth. Didn't we try to sign him under Curbs? Think he turned us down because he wanted to stay at Bournemouth.

Damn right!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]

I suppose Pompey was commutable.
  • Options
    As for us surely being better than looking at the manager of Bournemouth, I daresay that in the late sixties that some 2nd Division Derby County supporters felt the same when they appointed a young manager who had had some success at little old Hartlepool;especially when they won the league championship a few years later under Brian Clough.
  • Options
    clough and howe lol
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Howe has the Palace job if he wants it, expect an announcement early next week if he decides yes.

Update - Prefers Watford job, so if Mackay goes to Burnley, expect him to turn up there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd be happy with Howe. Got Bournemouth up playing good football and continued that in League 1 despite having to sell both Pittman and McCoid. I'd prefer someone like him to an old has-been. Fresh thinking, new ideas is what we need. And someone for the long term. Need to appoint someone now not just to get us out of League 1, although obviously that is the immediate aim, but someone who we believe capable of taking to the Premier League too. Need a long term plan not short term thinking.
  • Options
    'arry started out at Bournemouth too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I'd be happy with Howe. Got Bournemouth up playing good football and continued that in League 1 despite having to sell both Pittman and McCoid. I'd prefer someone like him to an old has-been. Fresh thinking, new ideas is what we need. And someone for the long term. Need to appoint someone now not just to get us out of League 1, although obviously that is the immediate aim, but someone who we believe capable of taking to the Premier League too. Need a long term plan not short term thinking.

Very true Large but how much time would Howe be given to implement his ideas and his systems?

If he came in and failed to get us up this season then people would immediately see him as having failed - especially if we give him a few quid in January.

It seems to me that unless a manager succeeds in his first 18 months that he is immediately under pressure.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]'arry started out at Bournemouth too.

Perhaps Tony Jiminycricket has set his sights on luring 'Appy 'Arry to The Valley?

And before Sunday.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I'd be happy with Howe. Got Bournemouth up playing good football and continued that in League 1 despite having to sell both Pittman and McCoid. I'd prefer someone like him to an old has-been. Fresh thinking, new ideas is what we need. And someone for the long term. Need to appoint someone now not just to get us out of League 1, although obviously that is the immediate aim, but someone who we believe capable of taking to the Premier League too. Need a long term plan not short term thinking.

Very true Large but how much time would Howe be given to implement his ideas and his systems?

If he came in and failed to get us up this season then people would immediately see him as having failed - especially if we give him a few quid in January.

It seems to me that unless a manager succeeds in his first 18 months that he is immediately under pressure.

well, although we are in a reasonable position in the league, I wouldn't expect anyone coming in January to be able to 'guarantee' us promotion. If they do fantastic. However, we would have to see an improvement in performances and in the style of football. Next season though he would be expected to deliver. For me Parky going now was imperative. If we don't go up this season at least the remainder of this season will give the new guy a chance to stamp his authority on the situation and hopefully start to bring fans back and give the rest of us some relief from the tedious last two seasons. Then next season he can get off to a flying start as opposed to appointing a new manager in the summer and then it taking maybe three months of next season to gel and therefore the possibility of another wasted season. Anyway, the new guy is going to get us up anyway although it may take the play-off's to do so.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]

well, although we are in a reasonable position in the league, I wouldn't expect anyone coming in January to be able to 'guarantee' us promotion. If they do fantastic. However, we would have to see an improvement in performances and in the style of football. Next season though he would be expected to deliver. For me Parky going now was imperative. If we don't go up this season at least the remainder of this season will give the new guy a chance to stamp his authority on the situation and hopefully start to bring fans back and give the rest of us some relief from the tedious last two seasons. Then next season he can get off to a flying start as opposed to appointing a new manager in the summer and then it taking maybe three months of next season to gel and therefore the possibility of another wasted season. Anyway, the new guy is going to get us up anyway although it may take the play-off's to do so.

I certainly hope so Large, that's for sure, promotion this season would be fantastic but will depend very much on what happens over the next couple of weeks.
  • Options
    Large, automatic promotion may even hinge on our results in our 2 matches against Southampton.
  • Options
    Any further news on Ernie Howe?
  • Options
    SSN reporting CPFC have approached Bournemouth to offer the managerial job to Eddie Howe.

Why would he not go to Southampton, to probably be on more money, to manage a bigger club, with probably a better squad, definitely with better resources... a division below, yes ok but with a chance to win silverware straight away and up his stock massively... or palace?
  • Options
    On Twitter
    Radio Solent Sport Exclusive:

BBC Radio Solent understands that Charlton Athletic have also made Eddie Howe their preferred choice as manager #cafc #cpfc