Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Station Hotel and Alma in Sidcup

Joanne Good was on the Radio saying that she used to drink in these pubs when she was a drama student in Sidcup.

What she was asking was do or did these pubs have off licence sales?

Comments

• Options
    I went out with a *very* nice girl, who used to go to the drama/arts school around there (tsk before you say anything I was 17).

They were all very kids from fame-ish.

But fit as ....
  • Options
    Never heard of the Station Hotel pub in Sidcup. There was one in Welling.
    Those were the days when pubs had their own Offie attached. I remember the Falcon having one and the Blackboy.
  • Options
    The Albany also had an Offy attached.

Never a Station Hotel in Sidcup, was on the corner at the top of Welling, later becoming the Moon & Sixpence.
  • Options
    In the mid-eighties I remember one of the old boys who drank in The Alma saying the pub used to be called either the Railway or Station Hotel in the dim and distant when it had three separate bars.What was the Iron Horse called before? Was that a railway orientated name? I was very young when that was knocked down and rebuilt as the Iron Horse After googling Joanne Good she would have been to young for the Alma's previous incarnation.
  • Options
    The answer is both pubs had off-licences.Many a happy day spent in The Station Hotel and still go into The Alma when in London.If you want info on the old pubs off sidcup ask the owner of The Alma John is his name to show you the book he keeps behind the bar.Interesting reading it makes too.
  • Options
    Yes the Iron Horse was built on the site of The Station Hotel in Sidcup.Must have been knock down about 1975.
  • Options
    Never knew that, cheers.

Ritchie, I know you haven't been back for a few years so not sure if you know that the Iron Horse is now called the Metro Bar, where Rob Knox was murdered a couple of years ago
  • Options
    Thanks AFKA.Yes I did know but only because that horrible incident even made the news in Scotland and as a former Sidcup rfc player I visit their web site and as he was related to a former player/coach( who also drank in the Alma)so it had more than a mention.
    I remember John showing us pictures of the pub going back some years,very interesting.Unfortunately not been in the Alma since May 2005 and June 2002 before that when my former workplace at Hither Green had their re-unions.I don't have any connections down in Sidcup any more and with a young family and working away from home plus the fact nearly all my family are in Wales a trip back is pretty low in the pecking order,but id like to get down to visit before there isn't any one left I know.
  • Options
    The Falcon used to have a nightclub attached to the back of it, never remember the name of it though. Shutddown in about 1986.
  • Options
    rIchie8, I was over at Sidcup rfc day after Boxing Day. They had a fun match and auction for the Jimmy Mizen charity. Snow everywhere, but there was a load of nutters throwing emselves about in the snow!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Joanne Good, nice lady Henry, one of the more interesting people at the bbc.

I photographed her a couple of times when I was at the bbc, with Robert Elms at the London Marathon, and with Jo doing a 'fashion shoot' ( well a photo of the more mature bbc person).http://www.flickr.com/photos/52647217@N00/4287776507/ on the top of bbc London.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/52647217@N00/2490686366/in/set-72157604108301267/
    She never mentioned she came around these parts, as she lived next door to bbc London when they were in Marleybone high street. She had a flat next door, which seemed 'pretty stylish' to me!
    ( she said she needed it for her breakfast show)Elm's is a decent bloke as well,very keen about London and it's culture.

The Alma!.... I will pass on that one........
  • Options
    Jo Good is a nutter! She lives/lived in Brighton I think....
  • Options
    I must like 'nutters' then Falconwood......

We did the photos last year, and she changed in her flat...next door!
  • Options
    AFKA after thinking about it Im pretty sure the Alma was previously the Railway Tavern.
  • Options
    Had my first ever pint in a pub at 15 years of age, that being The Station Hotel, Sidcup, they would serve anyone with a bit of bum fluff!

Mild and Bitter mix, 1shilling and nine pence.

The Falcon did indeed have a nightclub at the back. Met my first wife in there, so it's got a lot to answer for!
  • Options
    Jo Good was one of the birds that Rodney and Del were chatting up in the niteclub in fools and horses when Del pretended Rodney was a pro tennis player and she asked him "what do you prefer , grass or AstroTurf ?" Rodney says "I've never smoked AstroTurf "
  • Options
    The Station Hotel was quite an imposing building and nothing like the Iron Horse/Metro Bar reincarnations. One of my own recollections of the place wasn't the pub itself but looking down from the top of the Railway Station platform onto the back yard of the pub and seeing a horse being broken!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]The Falcon used to have a nightclub attached to the back of it, never remember the name of it though. Shutddown in about 1986.

It was called Goochies. Spent many a Fri/Sat night there around '82/3 in my Jazz Funk days!

The Falcon was a very good pub too in those days. Run by John & May, old school publicans.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    buckshee said:
    Jo Good was one of the birds that Rodney and Del were chatting up in the niteclub in fools and horses when Del pretended Rodney was a pro tennis player and she asked him "what do you prefer , grass or AstroTurf ?" Rodney says "I've never smoked AstroTurf "
    That's an old joke by the American football player Joe Namath although that attribution may be apocryphal.  Certainly, it was used well before OFAH: https://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/02/14/smoke-astroturf/
  • Options
    Was telling someone about this the other day. The hotel was demolished in 1975 and I wondered if the houses behind it went at the same time (they would be where the car park is now I assume).

Anyone remember?

I think my parents spent their wedding night in the hotel (after the reception in The Woodman Blackfen). 
  • Options
    I went out with a *very* nice girl, who used to go to the drama/arts school around there (tsk before you say anything I was 17).

They were all very kids from fame-ish.

But fit as ....
    Was that the Rose Bruford Drama School in Lamorbey Park?  I think it produced one or two famous actors/actress'?. Pretty posh I seem to recall - probably cost a lot in fees. They would practice outside on the lawns in the summer.

Used to go into The Station after arriving back by train from away games once I reached drinking age so talking about the mid-60s.

• Options
    Rose Bruford College still going strong 
  • Options
    Was telling someone about this the other day. The hotel was demolished in 1975 and I wondered if the houses behind it went at the same time (they would be where the car park is now I assume).

Anyone remember?

In that photo it looks like a row of cottages behind the pub. We’re they demolished as well?
  • Options
    Used to go in the Station for a cheeky half of lager and lime before making my way up to the Austral Club in Longlands Road on a Friday/Saturday night in the mid 60's. Happy days.
  • Options
    For anyone interested, that piece of land is about to go through another transformation. Work is starting now, will have M&S Food as a 20yr lease tenant with 59 flats built above.

• Options
  • Options
    For anyone interested, that piece of land is about to go through another transformation. Work is starting now, will have M&S Food as a 20yr lease tenant with 59 flats built above.

I give it 6 months after people knowingly move into a flat next to a pub, complain and get it closed down.
  • Options

Anyone remember?

I think my parents spent their wedding night in the hotel (after the reception in The Woodman Blackfen). 
    Like father, like son, he used the rear entrance.