Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Local Pizza Hut own goal.

Footballers in Pizza Hut racist incident.

Makes a change from footballers disgracing themselves in take aways I suppose and quite right to make an issue of it but not sure Eddie Howe will be too pleased on their choice of food.

Comments

• Saw this on the Bournemouth forum a few days ago. Good on the players for not putting up with it.
  • why hasnt this tread been sunk already? its 10 mins old and top of the forum ;-)
  • From what I read it was not racially motivated - more their scruffy appearance that caused concern

I may have called this wrong but I think this is a nothing story
  • Did Jerome Thomas not have 'an incident' in a pizza parlour while signed to us!.

Quite what is a 'footballer' is doing in one of these places at anytime, junk food/slop houses, anyway......
  • More info on the Bournemouth forums about it all. When the Police arrived they sided immediatly with the players and were'nt too impressed with Pizza Hut's actions. Doubt they were particularly scruffy looking being footballers and all that.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ollywozere[/cite]More info on the Bournemouth forums about it all. When the Police arrived they sided immediatly with the players and were'nt too impressed with Pizza Hut's actions. Doubt they were particularly scruffy looking being footballers and all that.

It was after training was cancelled so was probably track suits and beenie hats. The chav look
  • [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]Did Jerome Thomas not have 'an incident' in a pizza parlour while signed to us!.
    That was in Bournemouth as well wasn't it? Might explain why the place wasn't keen on footballers.
  • The report in the Guardian said that the players were wearing suits. So let us not assume that they looked 'scruffy'. And neither let us assume that it is a coincidence that they are black. Football has come a long way in stamping out racism, but we should remember that other sections of society/ different parts of the country may not have moved at the same pace. Shame on Pizza Hut - an absolutely disgraceful episode.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Happy Valley[/cite]The report in the Guardian said that the players were wearing suits. So let us not assume that they looked 'scruffy'. And neither let us assume that it is a coincidence that they are black. Football has come a long way in stamping out racism, but we should remember that other sections of society/ different parts of the country may not have moved at the same pace. Shame on Pizza Hut - an absolutely disgraceful episode.[/quote]
    One of the players was white so struggling to find where the race card can be played. As swisdom said, nothing story.
  • Sponsored links:

• 100% not racist no way so easy to use the race card FFS

I was inteh Greenwich Pizza Hut after a film a group of White chavs were asked to pay up beofre eating, not a eyelid battered

Thing was 100% of the staff were Asian so why no crys of racism ??

Total bo**cks
  • SE9SE9
    edited December 2010
  • [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]100% not racist no way so easy to use the race card FFS

I was inteh Greenwich Pizza Hut after a film a group of White chavs were asked to pay up beofre eating, not a eyelid battered

Thing was 100% of the staff were Asian so why no crys of racism ??

Total bo**cks

Yeah make you right. I guessing all these players looked under 30? The staff prob just thought that as they were youngish they better cover there backs and get the money up front in case they did a runner. Or maybe they all just looked dodgy.
    Ive been in a cab with mates and been asked for money up front but when with a girl im less likely to be asked.
    Thing is if the group were all black and in their 50s I doubt if they would have been asked to pay before hand.
  • Think it was more of an age thing. Few young black guys walk in get asked to pay 1st, I'm sure some young White guys have had the same treatment...Bet they didn't pull the race card.
  • edited December 2010
    The defender added: “There was a bigger group of white lads aged about 17 and 18 in there and I asked if they had to pay and (the member of staff) said he wasn’t going to answer that.

“I went over and asked the group myself whether they had to pay in advance and they said they hadn’t.

“We were smartly dressed in jeans and jumpers or cardigans and the other group wore tracksuits and hooded tops."
  • Trust henners to play the cardigan card,disgusting. They should have charged them triple!.
    ;-)
  • I did a runner from Pizza Hut in Bexleyheath once
  • edited December 2010
    Have a read of

this
  • [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]I had the runs from Pizza Hut in Bexleyheath once
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]Think it was more of an age thing. Few young black guys walk in get asked to pay 1st, I'm sure some young White guys have had the same treatment...Bet they didn't pull the race card.[/quote]

One of the players was white so struggling to find where the race card can be played. As swisdom said, nothing story.[/quote]

Some of you people on here are f*cking unbelievable! Race card???

I imagine that you may have a problem reading, so just to clear it up for you; a group of white teenagers came in after them and weren't asked to pay up front. So nothing to do with age and if it was a group of teenagers i imagine they weren't the most smart dressed.

Race card, truly one of the most idiotic things I’ve read in a long time.

Just to save you time I’ve started your response for you "I'm not racist but..."
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm not racist. I despise racism. This story stinks of racism.
  • Having been a waiter in the past you can tell who is going to give you problems and who isn't. A group of young people dressed in Indie type clothing (if they were) are far less likely to give you trouble than those dressed in designer/urban streetware (for example).

We do not have enough information to decide if this was Racialy motivated or not.

Some groups of young people are more high risk than others. Have they had problems with non payers before? One would assume so due to them being asked to pay first.

We have no information on their behavior and attitude when they entered the building.

Do they fit the profile of previous offenders be it due to clothing, attitude or even the way they carry themselves?

There could have been numerous reasons why they were treated in this manner.

It could have been race but equally, it may not.
  • Some interesting responses to this story.

My own feelings are that the best people to judge whether what had happened was racially motivated or not were those involved. Being professional footballers I'm sure all of those involved at some stage have unfortunately experienced racism and maybe even have thicker skins because of that.

Hence if they felt that a decision was made on the racial make up of the group then I'm more inclined to believe their interpretation in this case than a huge corporation trying to limit the PR damage done by one of their employees.
  • the whole race card Pi**es me off

I was at a bus stop outside Thamesmead Libary 2 black youth at the bus stop and the street lighting was out and to top it off it was night so dark.

A 229 came down there hill and as soon as the bus was less than 5 metres from the bus stop they stick there hand out of course the bus driver could not safely stop due to late notice and how dark teh street was, yes it was a request stop so did not have to stop.

Then proceeded the normal kissing of the lips and driver is a racist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Little did they know he was black but as they left it so long they did not even see him and still expected him to stop.

Pointless use of the race card.
  • Plenty of schools deny that they have a bullying problem even though there are pupil victims within to tell them otherwise if they deign to listen.

The intent of the Pizza Hut employee (s) actions may not have been racist but the victims of the actions suggest it was which is good enough for me.

The elephant in the room here is the other group of youths.

I strongly believe that the innocent should not be victimised because of the actions of the guilty and have often posted on here to that effect. However the question needs to be asked of Pizza Hut what determined the differences in treatment between the two groups?
  • [cite]Posted By: ChrisWhytesBaldhead[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CafcAndy[/cite]Think it was more of an age thing. Few young black guys walk in get asked to pay 1st, I'm sure some young White guys have had the same treatment...Bet they didn't pull the race card.

One of the players was white so struggling to find where the race card can be played. As swisdom said, nothing story.

Some of you people on here are f*cking unbelievable! Race card???

I imagine that you may have a problem reading, so just to clear it up for you; a group of white teenagers came in after them and weren't asked to pay up front. So nothing to do with age and if it was a group of teenagers i imagine they weren't the most smart dressed.

Race card, truly one of the most idiotic things I’ve read in a long time.

Just to save you time I’ve started your response for you "I'm not racist but..."[/quote]

I'm sorry but I take issue here. All too often these days the "race card" is pulled when something happens that impacts a black person. If the scenario had occurred to a bunch solely consisting of white players would that have been racist?

No

The Daily Mail has jumped on this like a cheap suit and claimed it's racially motivated. In reality we just don't know enough about the situation.

I've read 3 reports and they were wearing track suits OR jeans and shirts with jumpers OR suits. So I think this is a case of a nothing story that some people are desperately trying to make into a story.

As for the other group - why haven't they come forward to add their side of the story? maybe they were regulars? employees? known to the staff? Who gives a shit.

My indian takeaway was meant to be with me in 40 minutes on Saturday but ended up taking over 90 minutes to arrive - maybe I should call the Daily Mail and tell them that I believe they prioritised the indian customers before me and my delay was unnecessarily long because I am white.

Or maybe I should just get over it and continue to live my life like I have.......
  • The fact you read the Daily Mail gives me a good idea of your general view on life.

I bet when you're reading the stories about Gypsy single mothers you set aside your "paper" and sit back to consider whether both sides of the story have been properly represented.

Do some people unfairly claim discrimination because of their race? Yes of course, unfortunately people will always try to exploits systems which they believe can turn a situation to their benefit.

However, the question I don’t understand is why did the players complain? Do you think they wanted a free meal? Some publicity so they could out every white person who is a closet racist? Or do you think they are every day people who got upset because they were negatively singled out when they were just trying to have a meal?

What would you have thought if the story had been about Chris Powell, Jon Fortune and Richard Rufus?
  • [cite]Posted By: ChrisWhytesBaldhead[/cite]The fact you read the Daily Mail gives me a good idea of your general view on life.

I bet when you're reading the stories about Gypsy single mothers you set aside your "paper" and sit back to consider whether both sides of the story have been properly represented.

Do some people unfairly claim discrimination because of their race? Yes of course, unfortunately people will always try to exploits systems which they believe can turn a situation to their benefit.

However, the question I don’t understand is why did the players complain? Do you think they wanted a free meal? Some publicity so they could out every white person who is a closet racist? Or do you think they are every day people who got upset because they were negatively singled out when they were just trying to have a meal?

What would you have thought if the story had been about Chris Powell, Jon Fortune and Richard Rufus?

I'm actually proud to say I have never read the Daily Mail in my life.

I was reading up on this story yesterday and one of the links took me to the Mail's website for their spin on it all. I prefer not to judge any story based on just one opinion (certainly not that piece of shit for a newspaper) so I refer to the web for a diverse opinion.

As I said there just isn't enough information on this "story" but I do get a little infuriated at how swiftly the issue of race crops up in these cases.
  • What's wrong with being racey?
  • Have just logged on again and read some of the comments. This is from one of the Bournemouth players

Anton Robinson told the papers...

"We ordered our food. The manager came up with the bill and said: 'Would you mind paying first?` "We asked if that was the policy and he said 'no`. When we asked why he`d asked us, he said: 'It`s the way you look.` "We had a good idea what he was trying to get at. A group of white kids came in straight after us and they weren`t asked to pay before they had their food. The only thing that was different was the colour of our skins..."

Read more: http://www.bournemouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=223830#ixzz17YXeFbEo

To me this is clear. To those who say we/ they are just playing the 'race card', I would say 'which bit of the above don't you understand.