Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Valley pub

edited December 2010 in General Charlton
Can someone help please, in the valley pub there was a huge picture taken at the villa cup tie (1938) record crowd, but I've been searching for the picture and I can only find a couple of that game and neither showed a close up of the crowd like I remembered from the pub.
Was I imagining it or is there a close up of the crowd at that cup game?
I searched Getty images and googled it too, any other ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Whilst looking around for photos I stumbled across this, anyone know them?
  • Options
    or these?
  • Options
    Creepy - did you mean this? http://drinkingduringthegame.blogspot.com/2009/08/historic-valley-photo-for-sale.html
  • Options
    Yep- I do believe that's the one!
    Thanks CS, now I know what I'm looking for!
  • Options
    The Valley pub was across the road from where I first lived in Charlton Elliscombe mount.

We later moved to Springfields,( back of the pub) until I left home.

As a little kid we used to play endless games of football on the little green outside Elliscombe Mount.

Used to drink in the Valley regularly, obviously being a local pub.

Really cannot remember too many Charlton fans though during the week, at least when I was there during the 60s /70s.

Harold Hobbis was the original landlord, who always seemed in a bad mood, so for a pub landlord perhaps not the best attitude, but I was a 'long haired art student type' so he probably
    disliked me, being a short back and sides guy. Now I do not even qualify for the short back and sides re haircutting.

I understand he was a winger, was one myself, so we had something in common!

So sad to see the pub, I walked past it two weeks ago..... I wonder if there any photos of the pub.

By the way, I was looking on Pathe news last night quite a few Charlton films, including the cup final..........
    http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=38570
  • Options
    I lived in Cedar court, Cherry orchard right opp springfield, the first block on the left but used to come and stay with my uncle who lived in elliscombe rd after we moved to Crawley.
    So more than often ended up in there, didn't realise there was too much history regarding the Valley pub and CAFC but perhaps there's more to it!
  • Options
    Bloody shame these landmark sites get neglected, sounds like the pub is a gonner though. I recently stopped at a park I used to use as a kid in Plumstead called the Glade....I walked around and I have to say its bloody heartbreaking to see it in such a bad state...it was one of those little bits of sunshine in an otherwise austere area back in the 60's and 70's....the wardens were like the Gestapo....now it would seem you can do what ever you want, including painting the walls.....I cant believe how neglected it has become.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TEL[/cite]Bloody shame these landmark sites get neglected, sounds like the pub is a gonner though. I recently stopped at a park I used to use as a kid in Plumstead called the Glade....I walked around and I have to say its bloody heartbreaking to see it in such a bad state...it was one of those little bits of sunshine in an otherwise austere area back in the 60's and 70's....the wardens were like the Gestapo....now it would seem you can do what ever you want, including painting the walls.....I cant believe how neglected it has become.

Where is the Glade in Plumstead?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]Whilst looking around for photos I stumbled across this, anyone know them?[div id=Attachments_825149 aria-level=0 class=Attachments aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0 noWrap=false][ul aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0 compact=false][div aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0 noWrap=false]4561542598_9b60fa45fb_m.jpg[/div][/ul][/div]

The bloke in the check shirt looks like Henry, smoking a pipe, took his cardy off as it was too hot, however he kept his slippers on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: TEL[/cite]Bloody shame these landmark sites get neglected, sounds like the pub is a gonner though. I recently stopped at a park I used to use as a kid in Plumstead called the Glade....I walked around and I have to say its bloody heartbreaking to see it in such a bad state...it was one of those little bits of sunshine in an otherwise austere area back in the 60's and 70's....the wardens were like the Gestapo....now it would seem you can do what ever you want, including painting the walls.....I cant believe how neglected it has become.

Camdale Road, between the 2 cemetaries and slightly behind.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]I lived in Cedar court, Cherry orchard right opp springfield, the first block on the left but used to come and stay with my uncle who lived in elliscombe rd after we moved to Crawley.
    So more than often ended up in there, didn't realise there was too much history regarding the Valley pub and CAFC but perhaps there's more to it!

I lived in victoria way until I was 10, then moved to Cherry Orchard, first Blaker Court then Fairlawn Court ... the Valley was our regular for a number of years once I reached my mid/late teens.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TEL[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: TEL[/cite]Bloody shame these landmark sites get neglected, sounds like the pub is a gonner though. I recently stopped at a park I used to use as a kid in Plumstead called the Glade....I walked around and I have to say its bloody heartbreaking to see it in such a bad state...it was one of those little bits of sunshine in an otherwise austere area back in the 60's and 70's....the wardens were like the Gestapo....now it would seem you can do what ever you want, including painting the walls.....I cant believe how neglected it has become.

Camdale Road, between the 2 cemetaries and slightly behind.

Is that not called Rockmount Gardens?
  • Options
    Yes that's it. Don't know why it was known as the Glade by us kids who lived around Swingate Lane, if you remember its former glory, then I wouldn't recommend a visit, very sad state.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: TEL[/cite]Yes that's it. Don't know why it was known as the Glade by us kids who lived around Swingate Lane, if you remember its former glory, then I wouldn't recommend a visit, very sad state.

I think your talking about Rockcliffe Gardens. Many an hour as a kid I wasted there. The Glade is the playground near the Who'd A Thought It pub.
  • Options
    The Glade was where I have my ever memories as a kid playing in the swings in there....1973/4.

Presumed it was part of The Slade across the road?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]The Glade was where I have my ever memories as a kid playing in the swings in there....1973/4.

Presumed it was part of The Slade across the road?

Falconwood, in my confused middle aged mind I think your right it is The Slade swing park. The Glade is in Sidcup where I used to go fishing. Definately called Rockcliffe Gardens though.
  • Options
    The Glade is Sidcup. Right by Hurstmere school.
  • Options
    To be fair, The Valley pub was always a bit of a dump. Used to go in there fairly regularly before and after home games after we went back. Can't say it was ever my favourite pub.
  • Options
    The Glade at Sidcup is where there was the early sightings of the Cockatiels....opposite the swimming baths, late 60's and yes I too used to get a 51 bus and go fishing for Roach & Rudd.

Rockmount is what I was referring to anyway.....but for some reason, in the late 60's we called it the Glade.....but for everyones sanity, lets use its proper name, Rockmount.....if you remember it from years ago, it was a very well kept and pretty ornamental gardens with ponds and little waterfalls.....you werent allowed to walk on the grass in places, it was that pristine....if you are in the area, go and have a look at what became of it.....I was shocked.

The Slade is if I recall it correctly, at Plumstead Common.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: TEL[/cite]The Glade at Sidcup is where there was the early sightings of the Cockatiels....opposite the swimming baths, late 60's and yes I too used to get a 51 bus and go fishing for Roach & Rudd.

Rockmount is what I was referring to anyway.....but for some reason, in the late 60's we called it the Glade.....but for everyones sanity, lets use its proper name, Rockmount.....if you remember it from years ago, it was a very well kept and pretty ornamental gardens with ponds and little waterfalls.....you werent allowed to walk on the grass in places, it was that pristine....if you are in the area, go and have a look at what became of it.....I was shocked.

The Slade is if I recall it correctly, at Plumstead Common.

I grew up around all those places Tel, just 30 years later. We used to live opposite the park at the backend of the graveyard in Alliance Road. My mum still lives 5 minutes from The Slade, your right it is by Plumstead Common in the little dip.
  • Options
    There is was a school at the Slade too from memory. We used to walk up Swingate Lane to the chippy at Kirkham St to buy a bag of crackling- couldn't afford the chips all the time. Also used the fishing tackle shop- Anglers Corner, used to wait until the owners Mrs was serving as she would ways give us loads of freebies- happy days. Possibly the shop had gone by your time Plaayer? I see it's just a house now.
  • Options
    Remember Anglers Corner well, used to be run by an old boy called Laurie if my memory serves me right. Had a big tank in the shop with a massive Koi called Oscar I think. Used to get half a pint of maggots then off to Danson/Five Arches/Glade or wherever took our fancy to teach the maggots to swim. Must of closed down about 15/20 years now.
    Top notch chips in Kirkham Street chippy by the way, also across the road from the chippy is the CIU where I remember seeing Steve Davis play Snooker just before he was on Pot Black.
  • Options
    We quite often used to go down to the Woolwich Arsenal testing areas....they had these little moats around circular buildings.....full of tench and Crucian Carp....about 1973-76.....We also found all sorts of goodies (for kids they seemed that way) Grenades, shells, cartridges, but the most exciting thing was the underground hospital way over the back by the firing ranges....spooky place
  • Options
    I do remember quite a fight in the car park at the Valley pub . The eldest guy in the estate football team and his brother who was 18 at the time took a hell of a beating on the verrandah.

They probably gave a lot of cheek and were pissed, but were really done over!

The lads father, a man not to be taken lightly went down with his brothers, some work mates from the building site, and half of Springfields the following week, and got his revenge.

The issue was that 6 men in there 30-40s essentially beat up two young lads!.

Being the brave sort I did not go in there for a few weeks afterwards! I think the pub had to lock the gates to the estate after that, as well as other conditions.

Of course no one witnessed anything! at least when the police eventually turned up!.
  • Options
    Went to school in Timbercroft , Lived near the slade, next road to Steve Davis and used to see him play snooker in the CIU club or when he was in the slade library. Before that lived next door to the pub along the main road next to the valley and had a cherry tree and a plum tree in the garden.

Memory of the valley is Alan Devonshire having a goal disallowed for the Hammers who i supported cos the guy who owned the pub used to give me a choclate bar and a coke if i said i supported the hammers.
  • Options
    had some real memorable saturdays in there