Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA's message to the world today

Keith Mills was right when he said today on the BBC:

'FIFA are definately sending a message to the world about where they want the World Cup to go'

What he means of course are new frontiers, places to grow the game.

I'm totally against this outlook. In both Russia and Qatar they have to build all the new stadia. The same was true for South Africa. Surely it should go to countries who already have the stadia. Why should you get the World Cup before building the stadia. England, Spain and The Netherlands deserve the World Cup. We have the stadia and are already footballing nations. This is all wrong.

Comments

• Options
    Roubles talk!
  • Options
    The World cup has become more and more of a meaningless circus. I'm annoyed that Russia won the 2018 but Qatar in 22 is an absolute joke.

I just hope the journo's really dig the dirt on the filth that supposedly run the game.
  • Options
    FIFA have shown their true colours.

Both WCs went where the money is, and England were humiliated. Last in the group - cobblers !!

I hope England are now a thorn in their side, and DC can also get his political revenge. Sour grapes ?? You betcha !!

The voting was about as straight as a dog's hind leg.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]The World cup has become more and more of a meaningless circus. I'm annoyed that Russia won the 2018 but Qatar in 22 is an absolute joke.

I just hope the journo's really dig the dirt on the filth that supposedly run the game.

Agree, although Russia pisses me off almost as much as Qatar.

Based on my experience out here with the legacy of Soviet Communism, I am sure the Russians will have paid whatever it takes. They would see it as a pragmatic approach. I am glad we don't take that approach but we are naive to think we can compete with it with nice professional presentations.
  • Options
    One other regret - I live in Holland and I was looking forward to the sight of two million inebriates weaving around unsteadily on their free bikes ....
  • Options
    If (Big IF) Brazil isn't ready & UEFA ask "Us" to take over for 2014...................
  • Options
    Makes you wonder whether we should even bother attempting to bid again!! As usual politics have come into it. I've just heard (dont know if its right or not) on SSN that Blatter was facing a challenge next year from the guy that headed up the Quatar bid, now call me sceptical, but something doesnt feel (smell) right! To give a major footie tournament to a country which has temperatures in excess of 40c in July/August, and which currently has no stadia worth noting is beyond baffling.
    The strange thing that may happen is that if Brazil cant make the 2014, apparently they are struggling at the moment, FIFA may come to us or the USA to bail them out!!! I'd tell them where to shove it!!!
  • Options
    How can a country like Qatar, no offence to them, they have no football background, wouldnt be surprised if they dont even have a stadium above 20,000. They have never qualified for the world cup but how convienient that they have alot of money. FIFA have all but confirmed that they are as corrupt as the russians they selected to host 2018. Rant over.
  • Options
    How are the Qataris going to deal with pissed up half naked foreigners on their beaches? Plus they are building stadia that can get shipped elsewhere afterwards so hardly planning to grow the game nationally are they? Money talks, FIFA stinks.
  • Options
    We only got 2 votes.

Out of 22.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    From Wiki

The laws of Qatar tolerate alcohol to a certain extent. However, the few bars and nightclubs in Qatar operate only in expensive hotels and clubs, much Distribution Company, the only importer and retailer for alcohol in Qatar. Under Qatar's Sharia, it is illegal to show alcohol or be drunk in public.

I assume that they've considered that the vast majority of tourists (and thus the incentive to hold the World Cup has alot to do with tourism) will be from Wester Europe and the States ?
  • Options
    Complete joke. I will never see the World Cup in England now - I was too young to appreciate it in '66.

If they continue to choose new frontiers and places where they can grow the game it will never come back here. Mind you, I thought they already had a few football teams in Brazil...
  • Options
    And one of those 2 votes was by our own guy...
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Less people like us (by "us" I mean England) than like Milwall!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]How are the Qataris going to deal with pissed up half naked foreigners on their beaches? Plus they are building stadia that can get shipped elsewhere afterwards so hardly planning to grow the game nationally are they? Money talks, FIFA stinks.

Agree with you
    at last ;-
  • Options
    After 2018 Russia is going to be full of empty stadia. FIFA talks about legacy - what kind of legacy is that??

And Qatar - same problem
  • Options
    I am really gutted about this. I was beginning to dream of a holiday back in England with my (by then) 10 & 8 year old boys, supporting England (and Argentina). When it was announced I said to my wife: would you agree to Japan or USA in 2022? Then the 2022 result came in and she said 'there's no way I'm going there.'

Total s**t. I'd love to go to a World Cup and regret not going in 2006. Who the hell wants to go to Russia, let alone Qatar?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: EpsomAddick[/cite]After 2018 Russia is going to be full of empty stadia. FIFA talks about legacy - what kind of legacy is that??

And Qatar - same problem

No, they are going to transport the stadia afterwards to 3rd World countries. What's that about? Give the competion to those that deserve it: those who already have football stadiums.
  • Options
    I thought the threat to Blatter was from a Korean?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]I thought the threat to Blatter was from a Korean?
    He probably misheard the bumbling tosser.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    FIFA are corrupt to the core. Back handers and gifts buy votes. England and the other real football nations should form an alternative organisation and tell Sepp Blatter to stick it where the sun don't shine. FIFA hate the success of the premier league and have proved that today. Could FIFA really survive if England, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy and other huge football nations left ?
  • Options
    Unbelievable that two voters for Ned/Bel switched after the first round.

Seems to me that not only was it decided that Russia would win, but that they would try to embarrass England at the same time.
  • Options
    Qatar was the only bid to be considered "high risk".

And won.

Go figure.
  • Options
    22 votes one of which is our guy we received 2 votes----------------2 votes.

best commercial bid-------the safe bet------------no risk--------stadiums already built--------------------2 votes.

and when Blatter goes we get the lover of all thing English -------------Plattini !!!!!!!!

wish there was some way to tell them to go f**k themselves
  • Options
    We would have been better off giving the £15m we spent on the bid in used tenners in brown envelopes to each one of the delegates.

I bet we would have got more than two votes then.
  • Options
    ObramaBitch from Chelski turns up as Puttin threw a strop and ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Russia skate it. No connection with one of the Worlds richest men being there and Russia winning it?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]Roubles talk!

Something to remember before we get high and mighty
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]

Problem was that there was no cash in those handbags, clearly.

Did the Russians not give any gifts then?
  • Options
    Honestly can say I'm not that bothered we didn't win the 2018 World Cup - whilst it would have been nice & we obviously have the stadium already built, we do have the Olympics in 2 yrs time & do we really want another big tournament a few years later.............imagine the cost of accomodation etc etc.

Also, it is hardly a surprise that Russia won........they have bought the 2018 tournament by way of bribes etc - just have to look how Amobrovic bought Chelsea and how they are now in control of a lot of the oil..................
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]

Problem was that there was no cash in those handbags, clearly.

Did the Russians not give any gifts then?

When you bribe a little, you can't complain that the other guys bribed more or bribed more successfully.

The England bid doesn't have the moral high ground here.