Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gavin Peacock - Fantastic Article

Comments

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Those tweets are awful, but funny.

I could put him in a room with my Dad they would get on like a bloody house on fire.

Wouldn't say it's that funny, given he honestly and sincerely believes it...
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

I could put him in a room with my Dad they would get on like a bloody house on fire.

Who asked for your opinion....get back in the kitchen!!!
  • Options
    His outbursts are quite regularly included in the Quickly Kevin 90s football podcast.

From that he also claims that men are the most endangered species on earth.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Curb_It said:

Wouldn't say it's that funny, given he honestly and sincerely believes it...
    You've got to laugh though as who would honestly say that out loud let alone write it down for the world to see.

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:

He also retweeted someone called Owen Strachan. In that tweet were the words:

"Contrary to current pressure, the church cannot 'sanctify gayness.' We cannot Christianize homosexuality."

------------------------------

He's also pro-life, and expressed dismay at Ireland's decision to repeal the Eighth.

I mean, he's probably an okay guy, but his views are so alien to (and an affront to) my own, that I can't see much virtue in his "reform"...

Sounds like an absolute moron.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

"Contrary to current pressure, the church cannot 'sanctify gayness.' We cannot Christianize homosexuality."

He's also pro-life, and expressed dismay at Ireland's decision to repeal the Eighth.

I mean, he's probably an okay guy, but his views are so alien to (and an affront to) my own, that I can't see much virtue in his "reform"...

Oh leave him alone.

He's entitled to express his opinion, just like you or anyone else.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Oggy Red said:

PaddyP17 said:

Oh leave him alone.

And we are entitled to comment on his opinions. That's how free speech works.
    Of course, Paddy. But it was the "Sounds like an absolute moron" post I was responding too.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    It might be worth examining what the word 'Preacher' might mean, and the implications that follow from that.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:

After reading those pieces, if true not good, might need to retract the credit I gave him.
  • Options
    I remember him defending Glen Hoddle's fascist ideas about disabled people at a Supporter's Club meeting, so I'm not surprised he turned out to be just as loopy.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    PaddyP17 said:
    Does God really think this or is it just Gavin Peacock who thinks this ? (If God exists).
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:
    Does God really think this or is it just Gavin Peacock who thinks this ?
    Well, in fairness, he's studied Ancient Greek, Hebrew, theology and the Bible, full-time for a number of years, so he's probably better placed to give an academic, considered view than most people on Charlton Life (certainly me included).
  • Options
    charltonised
  • Options
    Chizz said:

PaddyP17 said:
    Well, in fairness, he's studied Ancient Greek, Hebrew, theology and the Bible, full-time for a number of years, so he's probably better placed to give an academic, considered view than most people on Charlton Life (certainly me included).
    He studied football but still scored a spectacular own goal against Watford once. So what’s the point?
  • Options
    Found myself going to church for a little while quite a few years ago, some sort of early life crisis. Gavin Peacock was there sometimes with his family, never spoke to him but he gets proper into it. Glad to say I saw the light by reading one Richard Dawkins book.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

PaddyP17 said:

Oggy Red said:

PaddyP17 said:

Oh leave him alone.

And we are entitled to comment on his opinions. That's how free speech works.
    Of course, Paddy. But it was the "Sounds like an absolute moron" post I was responding too.

Moron was being generous to someone with his archaic and discriminatory views.
  • Options
    masicat said:

Chizz said:

PaddyP17 said:
    He studied football but still scored a spectacular own goal against Watford once. So what’s the point?
    The point is that he has a view that's based on a fuller, more complete knowledge and understanding of monotheistic religions than most people on here. He might be right, he might be wrong. But he's more likely to be right than people with less relevant knowledge.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:

masicat said:

Chizz said:

PaddyP17 said:
    The point is that he has a view that's based on a fuller, more complete knowledge and understanding of monotheistic religions than most people on here. He might be right, he might be wrong. But he's more likely to be right than people with less relevant knowledge.
    Always interesting to see an educated person advocate monotheistic religion based on the texts available.

Seems like complete bollocks to me but I have met two people ever who while advocating monotheistic or orthodox monotheistic religions have, none the less really been in touch with something I cannot explain. They really were holy.

Best I can do is suggest that their devotion has allowed them to channel some non-normal area into human consciousness.

I’m not a religious person but these people do make you think whether there is something else there. Monotheistic dictate doesn’t do it for me, why would there be only one right answer?

Would never slag anyone off for their beliefs though. Might disagree with whether you go to hell if you don’t put a furry cover over your bedside light on a Friday because using the light switch is a creation activity but if that makes you feel closer to your god, crack on.
  • Options
    Just about the most intelligent person I have ever known has been a believer since we were at school. We played in the same band, went to the same Church youth club and he then went off to Cambridge where he got himself a first without drawing breath.

I don't believe that he has ever had a "proper" job but has spent the last forty years spreading the word around the world in places such as the US, Bali, the Far East and the Netherlands and also writing numerous books and blogs about everything ecclesiastical. His wife's job working for Shell was the reason why he has been so well travelled.

For the only time since we had left school, we met up with him in a local pub about a decade or so ago but I came away really disappointed. In my mind I'd built him up as the former Head Boy, captain of the rugby team, the guitarist who then learnt to play the sax in six weeks and font of all knowledge - but came away feeling rather empty.

On reflection, I think that was probably down to us being so different right down to the fact that I bought the first round and he didn't even reciprocate with a packet of crisps let alone a drink. Still, afterwards, he did have the courtesy to wave as he drove past in his top of the range Merc.

God really does move in mysterious ways.
  • Options
    If he’s wife agrees with his tweets, he’s done well to find a woman like that in this day and age.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

masicat said:

Chizz said:

PaddyP17 said:
    Yep. He’s wrong. Will waste his life on a 2000 year old fairy tale trying to justify his stupidity with the word ‘faith’. He will also try to justify his discrimination against women and homosexuality by saying its ‘God’s will’. When he came on for his Charlton debut I would imagine Keith was very proud. I don’t expect he is today. Silly little man.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

masicat said:

Chizz said:

PaddyP17 said:
    I'm sure he's right in terms of "that's hat the bible say and that's how it's interpreted". As you say, he's more of an expert than I'd ever want to be. Fine. But I feel entirely justified in saying that those are lousy opinions, the world has moved on, and rightly so.
  • Options
    Sounds like a complete weirdo
  • Options
    Chizz said:

PaddyP17 said:
    So not one thing that's the slightest bit of use to anybody then?
  • Options

Just about the most intelligent person I have ever known has been a believer since we were at school. We played in the same band, went to the same Church youth club and he then went off to Cambridge where he got himself a first without drawing breath.

I don't believe that he has ever had a "proper" job but has spent the last forty years spreading the word around the world in places such as the US, Bali, the Far East and the Netherlands and also writing numerous books and blogs about everything ecclesiastical. His wife's job working for Shell was the reason why he has been so well travelled.

For the only time since we had left school, we met up with him in a local pub about a decade or so ago but I came away really disappointed. In my mind I'd built him up as the former Head Boy, captain of the rugby team, the guitarist who then learnt to play the sax in six weeks and font of all knowledge - but came away feeling rather empty.

On reflection, I think that was probably down to us being so different right down to the fact that I bought the first round and he didn't even reciprocate with a packet of crisps let alone a drink. Still, afterwards, he did have the courtesy to wave as he drove past in his top of the range Merc.

I wish I could be like David Watts
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

He really was like David Watts - the fact that he was so gifted in so many ways and then decided to devote his life to preaching the Gospel makes me feel that I've missed a trick somewhere in not completely sharing his committed beliefs!
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

He really was like David Watts - the fact that he was so gifted in so many ways and then decided to devote his life to preaching the Gospel makes me feel that I've missed a trick somewhere in not completely sharing his committed beliefs!
    No, you just needed to shack up with his bird before he did.