Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

D-Day For The Wings

Weds 1st December. 57k owed to HMRC is due. Looks like their takeover has gone belly-up. What chance they get an extension like Sheff Weds? No chance I'd say.

I'd personally be gutted if they go out of business. Had some great days at PVR and away from home.

It doesn't look good for them.

http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?aBID=62379&p=3&topicID=39582651

Comments

• Options
    It will be a crying shame if they go out of business for the sake of £57k.
  • Options
    I still remember Bexley Utd playing at Park View
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]Weds 1st December. 57k owed to HMRC is due. Looks like their takeover has gone belly-up. What chance they get an extension like Sheff Weds? No chance I'd say.

14 days
  • Options
    Cant we try and raise a few quid on here?
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    They need a whole load of cash. People Ive been speaking to reckon they'll genuinely go pop.
  • Options
    Realshame, the only clubs that should go belly up are the fat cats of the Prem who pxxxing up vast amounts of money. To put in context its a day and a bits salary for Man City's Toure
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]To put in context its a day and a bits salary for Man City's Toure

Devil's advocate here (and I hope they find a way to survive), but how much money is it for Welling?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]To put in context its a day and a bits salary for Man City's Toure

Devil's advocate here (and I hope they find a way to survive), but how much money is it for Welling?

Hypothetically, their gates average just over 500, so lets be generous and say they can get 600 in. Adult entrance is £11, U 12's £3, so lets say average ticket income is £8. So each home game generates £4,800. so they would need to play 12 games without any expenses / costs to cover the amount they owe HMRC and then owe money to players,Local authority etc,.

Looking at those figures it does look tough for them
  • Options
    edited December 2010
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: IA[/cite]

Hypothetically, their gates average just over 500, so lets be generous and say they can get 600 in. Adult entrance is £11, U 12's £3, so lets say average ticket income is £8. So each home game generates £4,800. so they would need to play 12 games without any expenses / costs to cover the amount they owe HMRC and then owe money to players,Local authority etc,.

Looking at those figures it does look tough for them

It looks irresponsible.

Very tough situation to get out of.

Fingers crossed that they're able to survive.
  • Options
    If you read their fans forum it looks like 57k is the tip of the iceberg. Apparently there is money owed to local creditors and board members which pushes the total up to around 97k. They also expect to run up another 20k between now and then end of the season.

Their fans have a fighting fund, but due to inactivity of the board seem reluctant to hand any cash over.

Alot of the more prominent posters on their board are advocating AFC Welling regardless of whether they go under in 14 days time.
  • Options
    It does look like a small sum of money compared to the Premier League but despite our links with them it's just another business that has over spent and is defaulting of it's bills to the Tax Payer.

At some point one of these Football Clubs will fail to raise the money to get out of trouble. I don't especially want it to be Wellng, but if the above numbers are true then they owe the Tax Payers almost half of their annual turnover - I'm assuming they don't raise must away from gate receipts.

If a business is going to owe that proportion of their income to the public purse then it should be chased through the courts and be forced into liquidation if necessary.

I know the money in the Premier League is obscene, but it really does have no real impact on Welling, and they should have managed their finances better, and if not they will have to face the consequences, just like the rest of do if we overspend and run up debts.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kings hill addick[/cite]they owe the Tax Payers

They don't owe money to the tax payer, that's me and you.

It's the Government they must pay.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The Govenrment doesn't have any money. It collects the Tax Payer's money on the Tax Payer's behalf.

That is, indeed, you and me so Welling owe us £57k. I don't know about you, but I'd rather like them to pay it. Maybe if they (and other businesses that have spent our money without asking us) had paid us we wouldn't be in such debt now.

I appreciate that this £57k won't make as much difference as the £5m that Portsmouth reportedly owed us but every little helps.
  • Options
    This is their board: http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?aBID=62379&subForumID=165363&p=2

It's obvious that it's been run like it's still the 1980's, but I went there as a schoolkid, which led to the Valley so I hope they survive.
  • Options
    I don't hold out much hope Dev when the Commercial Manager cannot even spell Commercial properly.....

Don't know whether to laugh or cry
  • Options
    He's clearly a mate of the manager and doing him a favour. No-one knew they had a commercial manager which sums up the problem.

I'd get involved but how can anyone invest money whilst the people who have mismanaged the club (really badly btw) are still there.....

Bexley Council don't appear to give a shit either.

It'll be houses within two years if they go pop. Maybe the council would prefer that??

I know we are in the shite as much as Welling, but surely we could've done a fund raising friendly with them??? Especially as we have no reserve league to play in....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]It'll be houses within two years if they go pop. Maybe the council would prefer that??

You have to wonder don't you
  • Options
    If they do go under what happens to the Dere's?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Welling own the lease, so the Deres will be knackered for a ground I suspect.

It's been run as a family concern and not a small business for far too long.

I went into the 'Executive Lounge' last month, it could've been done so much better.

As much as I hate em, the FC United route is what the majority of non league clubs should be aiming at.
  • Options
    It's interesting when you look at FCUM's website at just how well run the club is.

http://fc-utd.co.uk/home.php
  • Options
    I've know the Hobbins brothers for years and I'm amazed that they've lasted this long under the guidance of Barrie. Did a print job for them once and never got paid and that's to an ex-player!

But I sincerely hope someone will take the club on. Started on park pitches, then Butterfly Lane and then onto Park View Road. Still have some good memories of the early days and played with some great lads, so I hope they survive.
  • Options
    Game is off, but they have a meeting at 10.30 tomorrow. Good luck to them, and here's hoping someone pulls them out of this mess, though i would be amazed if any of Acworth's tweets come off.
  • Options
    £47,300 raised as of midday today. Week to go for them, and personally i hope they raise the remaining £13,000.

http://www.wellingunited.com/
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]£47,300 raised as of midday today. Week to go for them, and personally i hope they raise the remaining £13,000.

http://www.wellingunited.com/[/quote]

That's a great effort by their supporters.
  • Options
    Now £52,400.
  • Options
    Funny situation for Wings tonight, bearing in mind all the friendlies and good wishes and indeed sponsorship from Charlton Life this season on the shirts.

If Luton win they are saying their fans need a stub from the Welling game on Sunday to get tickets for Spurs. So if Luton win the gate will be massive and Welling get half less expenses and vat etc.

So while ordinarily we would want our neighbours to win, if we cheer for charlton we are cheering against a huge windfall, which would put us in a good position when the HMRC debt is paid and the embargo is lifted.

For that reason with all sincerity could you forgive us tonight for hoping for a home win as it could be vital for us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: wellingfan[/cite]Funny situation for Wings tonight, bearing in mind all the friendlies and good wishes and indeed sponsorship from Charlton Life this season on the shirts.

If Luton win they are saying their fans need a stub from the Welling game on Sunday to get tickets for Spurs. So if Luton win the gate will be massive and Welling get half less expenses and vat etc.

So while ordinarily we would want our neighbours to win, if we cheer for charlton we are cheering against a huge windfall, which would put us in a good position when the HMRC debt is paid and the embargo is lifted.

For that reason with all sincerity could you forgive us tonight for hoping for a home win as it could be vital for us.

I can certainly see your dilemma!