Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January Transfer window

edited November 2010 in General Charlton
January transfer window opens in only a few weeks and you would imagine that Parkie is making plans, based on current circumstances and maybe even if we had a takeover. Parkie indicated that there could be a small kitty available in Jnauary, so what positions will provide us with this era;s Jim Melrose? What positions do we need to bring in?

I am assuming that we can do a deal on Fry and keep him. Martyn has undoubted potential,but too often has flattered to deceive, should we send him back to Ipswich? I think we need left back cover, centre back cover (sorted by signing fortune on longer term deal),creative midfield cover?

Comments

• If Fry stays I can't see us signing another LB... Unless maybe it's that lad Dunk as a cheapy 'one for the future send out on loan' type option.

A DM as cover for Semedo maybe?
  • [cite]Posted By: SaoPauloAddick[/cite]If Fry stays I can't see us signing another LB... Unless maybe it's that lad Dunk as a cheapy 'one for the future send out on loan' type option.

A DM as cover for Semedo maybe?

Isn't McCormack DM?
  • First it depends what happens with Fortune and Fry, both here until end of December for now. Martin could also be recalled by Ipswich.

Racon is one player who might go, out of contract in the summer, on big wages. Can't imagine there would be loads of interest though. Was said clubs would have signed him in the summer for nothing, but no one offered a fee.
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Parkie indicated that there could be a small kitty available in Jnauary
    Where and when was that?
  • edited November 2010
    Fantastic , i've been waiting for someone to start this thread up, in our perilous condition i tend go down the Kap lines , i can however see us selling Wagstaff for 2 million to raise some much needed cash , although 5-6 would be nicer!

I think we've got more chance of seeing a new window cleaner down at the valley in January , rather than fresh faces , but hey what do i know , i thought Blackpool were going to get a caning every week this season, they still might ....

It would be encouraging to see us have a second half of the season proper push for promotion...
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]First it depends what happens with Fortune and Fry, both here until end of December for now. Martin could also be recalled by Ipswich.

Racon is one player who might go, out of contract in the summer, on big wages. Can't imagine there would be loads of interest though. Was said clubs would have signed him in the summer for nothing, but no one offered a fee.
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Parkie indicated that there could be a small kitty available in Jnauary
    Where and when was that?

Blimey.early season towards the end of the transfer window,in an interview, can't remember which one and it may just have been a throw away line, but definitely recall thet he said there MAYBE
  • Oh ok, thought you meant recently.
  • Just really hope wagstaff doesnt go anywhere!
  • I'm hoping we keep Fortune and Fry, I'd also go for someone like Dunk as cover but I'd spend any cash available on cover for Anyinsah ie. a direct pacy forward, even if we have to go for an untried non-leagier again. A gamble I know, but that's where we are these days.
  • I would have said a striker that could score goals, but thankfully Benson and Anyinsah are bashing them in now.

I'm not sure we actually need any players.
  • Wagstaff for £2m !!!!!!!!!!!!!! - hahahahahaha

can't see anything happening to be honest...hopefully resign Fry and Fortune and that'll be it, possible loan depending on injuries.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd like a central defender to be honest (maybe a fringe Prem player on loan) and to extend Fry's stay. Other than that i think we are ok.
  • If we need anyone, it's a creative CM.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]Wagstaff for £2m !!!!!!!!!!!!!! - hahahahahaha

can't see anything happening to be honest...hopefully resign Fry and Fortune and that'll be it, possible loan depending on injuries.[/quote]

Do you think he's worth less than that then?

Our board have a track record with selling key players in January
  • edited November 2010
    I think he's got the POTENTIAL to be as good as Theo Walcott ( i know people say he's rubbish but he's got 7 goals this season) i'd try and hold out for 5 - 6 million for Wagstaff , the boys on fire this season.

This transfer window could be as much about who we can keep , as opposed to who we can buy , i think to sell Wagstaff in January would be very shortsighted by the board.
  • [cite]Posted By: Mendonca In Asdas[/cite]I think he's got the POTENTIAL to be as good as Theo Walcott ( i know people say he's rubbish but he's got 7 goals this season) i'd try and hold out for 5 - 6 million for Wagstaff , the boys on fire this season.
    We got £1.7m plus clauses for Shelvey. Not going to get anything like £2m for Wagstaff at this stage.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Mendonca In Asdas[/cite]I think he's got the POTENTIAL to be as good as Theo Walcott ( i know people say he's rubbish but he's got 7 goals this season) i'd try and hold out for 5 - 6 million for Wagstaff , the boys on fire this season.
    We got £1.7m plus clauses for Shelvey. Not going to get anything like £2m for Wagstaff at this stage.

Agree - League 1 players don't command multi-million pound fees, even if we think they should.

I would be gutted to see Wagstaff go in January.
  • [cite]Posted By: Mendonca In Asdas[/cite]I think he's got the POTENTIAL to be as good as Theo Walcott ( i know people say he's rubbish but he's got 7 goals this season) i'd try and hold out for 5 - 6 million for Wagstaff , the boys on fire this season.

This transfer window could be as much about who we can keep , as opposed to who we can buy , i think to sell Wagstaff in January would be very shortsighted by the board.
    Are you drunk??
  • Erm Wagstaff is looking a better player than Shelvey now. I can't believe we got 1.7 mill for him to be honest, he can't play in any position is tactically bereft and helter-skelters around no-man's land like a moronic ping pong ball. Sure he's one of the most beautifully balanced footballers I've ever seen at Charlton, his instinctive waltz/juggle between the Barnet defence was masterly... until Yakubu hand balled it.

I'm glad no one rates Waggy, as we should be able to keep him if we - hope-to-god - get back in the prem. I'd doubt we'd get more than £500,000 plus maybe a mill in add ons atm.... but most managers aren't clever enough to see him as a factor yet and he'll be much better for the champ after a full league one season.

Walcott and Bale were scoring and playing in the champ when they were 16-17. I like Waggy, and he learns well plus his supreme fitness allows him time for his obvious brain to start being a factor. But he ain't no Bale or Wlacott.

I'd still like to see a solid tackling and creative cm. Best young and cheap one I've seen is Liam Trotter at Millwall. Now he's past our budget, but I'd like to see a physically strong six footer in the middle of the park for us.
  • I know League 1 Players don't go for big big money , i still maintain that we 'Undersell ' players worth , perhaps i should be Waggys Agent! :)
  • Waggy in my book when he plays well , is having the type of impact Lee Bowyer made , when he came through (Albeit the fact we are a division down)
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Mendonca In Asdas[/cite]Waggy in my book when he plays well , is having the type of impact Lee Bowyer made , when he came through (Albeit the fact we are a division down)

And Bowyer was a lot younger.
  • I would keep any money under my hat to fund a loan or 2 at the business end of the season if we get some key injuries or need a final push. Squad looks ok to me and main aim must be not to sell anybody!!!!
  • Think he's alright as a sub as long as you don't play him with Benson - they have no pace between them. Firts choice should be Anyinsah and benson - 2nd choice Anyinsah and Sodje - 3rd Choice Anyinsah and Abbott - 4th choice Benson and Sodje - 5th choice Abbot and Sodje and last choice Benson and Abbot. Parky has at least twigged on the first choice but I am slightly concerned that he thinks what I consider to be the last choice to be the 2nd choice!!!! Abbot is a 4th choice striker but in Parky's eyes he's our 3rd choice. I'm happy with him as 4th choice - what can we expect - Tevez or Torres.
  • Lol waggy next theo & bale, now thats a bit OTT but like the optimism there

cannot sell waggy and dont think we will if we did would be nearer 500k imo

Fortune & Fry we need to keep, personally would also like to see another lb eg. Dunk or someone cheapish. wouldn't mind if racon went although doing ok of late think we could cope without him and with another lb we can put JJ in with Semedo in the centre which i think would work like tea & builders

think we ok at mo and apart from another left back and F & F signing think replacements should be L4L
  • Keep fortune and fry, get someone up front to add something different to our attack. It's a long old season and we will have tried all of our options by then, so worth having an ace in the pack a la Forster supposedly was last season who can mix up our options.
  • Do you think Waggy is quicker than 'Dennis in the last minute' ???
  • Are ppl really comparing wag staff to walcott and saying 2m+!?!? The same olayer who goes missing for 89mins then scores a goal? Yes 6 goals already but that's the overreaction of the year.

Wow
  • edited November 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Danny Addick[/cite]Are ppl really comparing wag staff to walcott and saying 2m+!?!? The same olayer who goes missing for 89mins then scores a goal? Yes 6 goals already but that's the overreaction of the year.

Wow[/quote]

Your right Danny , Waggys not worth 2 million , he more like my original valuation of 4 - 5 mill , we need to talk our players up!!

Waggys come on leaps and bounds this season , he's a late starter , last season he was worth about a fiver , now the skys the limit! i'm hoping he can score 15 goals this season, which for a Midfielder is moving into the Lampard / Gerrard goals tally , priceless!