Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Therry Racon

Great to hear him finally getting some good reviews from the majority of fans at a game. I've always been a fan and feel he gets a rough ride sometimes, but I accept he should deliver to his full potential more often.

I wasn't at the game yesterday so I have a couple of questions for those who were. Firstly, what did Therry do yesterday to earn your praise that you don't feel he's done previously? Secondly, do you feel that was Therry at his best and if it was, are the numerous comments on the player ratings thread like "needs to do this every week" reasonable - is it fair to expect him to be the star man every week?

Comments

• Options
    He just held up the ball well, created lots of space and fed the front men. He ran the midfield and made it very hard for wednesday
  • Options
    His best game as an Addick IMO

If he did that every week he'd be awesome
  • Options
    One Swallow dont make a Summer or in this one Racoon dont make a winter. I think he has had too many off days for me to get excited over one decent showing!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CH4RLTON[/cite]one Racoon dont make a winter. I think he has had too many off days for me to get excited over one decent showing!

Racist ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Great to hear him finally getting some good reviews from the majority of fans at a game. I've always been a fan and feel he gets a rough ride sometimes, but I accept he should deliver to his full potential more often.

I wasn't at the game yesterday so I have a couple of questions for those who were. Firstly, what did Therry do yesterday to earn your praise that you don't feel he's done previously? Secondly, do you feel that was Therry at his best and if it was, are the numerous comments on the player ratings thread like "needs to do this every week" reasonable - is it fair to expect him to be the star man every week?

Racon undoubtedly has talent and it is that fact that makes him so frustrating as a player as his application normally does not match that talent. He does one or two decent things and then disappears from the game in Ambrosian fashion which puts pressure on the others.

Yesterday though he gave us eighty whatever it was minutes until his substitution so to answer your question directly that is what made the difference for me.

As to whether it is fair to expect him to be the star player every week the answer is probably no but I would turn it round and say a player of his talent should have been the star man far more often than he has been since he joined us.
  • Options
    Rac's was very good, the problem 4 Parky has is, imho,the back 4 with Fry is more balanced and the midfield
    need another defence minded/attack player like Jackson. Racon would then be very good but it's where to fit
    Reid into the team
  • Options
    First time I watched Racon was QPR away in our championship relegation season.He had just returned from a long time injury and was very impressive that day.I think he also scored.The frustrating issue with Racon is that he has skill and strenght in abundance but does not show it game after game.I had started to lose my patience with him but yesterdays performance has filled me with the hope that we shall start seeing his full potential.I think Jackson's midfield role has complemented him.
  • Options
    superb yesterday the man can play just sometimes he overplays it in the wrong areas ,in this league he can open teams up just needs to show some consistency.
  • Options
    Agree with everything that's been said , but also seeing him track back and make some good interceptions made him MOTM for me.

Before this I have always regarded him as a talented but lazy player.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    As to whether it is fair to expect him to be the star player every week the answer is probably no but I would turn it round and say a player of his talent should have been the star man far more often than he has been since he joined us.

I think this is fair comment Len and I agree to a large extent, Racs does need to show his talent more, however it's comments like these:
    [cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]Before this I have always regarded him as a talented but lazy player.

where I think he gets a rough ride. I don't feel he's always 100% committed - I was quite angry with him after the Brighton game as there was more than one occassion I saw him let people just run past him. However, I think those games are fairly isolated incidents and there are at least as many games, such as Orient away this season, where he's put in genuinely hard working defensive shifts, he even made a couple of pretty good tackles vs Brighton and there are lots of solid displays in between. That in itself doesn't excuse the occassional cruising match he has - there's never really much of an excuse for those, but that doesn't necessarilly make him lazy player per-say - plenty of crowd favourites over the years have games where they seem a bit disinterested. Ambrose was a different story, he was an absolute train wreck when it came to defending and it wasn't so much spells of matches that Darren went missing for as spells of seasons, although I accept the comparisons on a frustrating under use of talent.

I think people are very quick to criticise Racs when he has a game like Brighton, but a bit slower to give him credit when he has a good game. He seems to have fallen into the category that Sam did last season in that he has to have a truly outstanding match before people are willing to credit him with much. I just hope he can string a few good performances together and start winning a few people round again because I still feel he can be key man for us if we can get the best out of him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wouldn't expect him to play like that every week but he's not had enough solid 7/10 games.

He's not lazy but some way from being the first player I'd think of if asked who the most committed and hard working players were.
  • Options
    yesterday he was absolute mustard !!!
  • Options
    The problem with Therry can be that when he's on his A-game he is top quality, but when he doesn't decide to stretch himself it is obvious he is being lazy rather than just limited. I'd rather he have lots of '7/10' games as Scoham put it than one 9/10 and loads of 5-6/10s, as when he puts some effort in it really shows both in his game and the team's.
  • Options
    If he puts in a MOM performance in the next 3 games then he's won me over.Consistency is Racons big problem.
  • Options
    Racon did everything required of him for the whole time he was on the pitch, with the exception of not having a shot on target / scoring.

He had 100% effort, skill, tackling ,passing ,guile, heading. It was all there.

The question is why ?

I believe that it's what I've said for more than a year. You can't get promoted playing 2 wingers and getting outnumbered in the centre. Racon & Semedo are often overrun, because they are outnumbered. Brighton 2 weeks ago being an excellent example.

If you have an achieveable target you strive to meet it. If it's not achieveable you may not bother or you give up.

Perhaps, our middle 2 sometimes (understandably) give up a bit when they know they can't win & perhaps yesterday knowing they had an even battle with Jackson tucked in supporting them, & Waggy doing well supporting, they excelled as for once they felt in control instead of trying to hold back the tide.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    The question is why ?

I believe that it's what I've said for more than a year. You can't get promoted playing 2 wingers and getting outnumbered in the centre. Racon & Semedo are often overrun, because they are outnumbered. Brighton 2 weeks ago being an excellent example.

If you have an achieveable target you strive to meet it. If it's not achieveable you may not bother or you give up.

Perhaps, our middle 2 sometimes (understandably) give up a bit when they know they can't win & perhaps yesterday knowing they had an even battle with Jackson tucked in supporting them, & Waggy doing well supporting, they excelled as for once they felt in control instead of trying to hold back the tide.

You may have a point here Covered except that Bailey played wide left most of last season and he was hardly an authodox winger, although he perhaps wasn't as good a player as some would have you believe.

Could it be that Ally Macks return to fitness and his and Parky's comments about his determination to get back into the side, that were reported this week, have concentrated Therry's mind?
  • Options
    I've always liked Racon he does need to be more consistent, but you could say that about a lot of our squad.

Actually think he's been one of our better players so far, a few performances against Dagenham he's done well. Also with Mccormack now fit again it was good to see him put in a motm performance to keep his place.

Him and Semedo both need to have more games like yesterday and if they do we'll win alot more.
  • Options
    Yes, it could be the threatened return of McCormack.
  • Options
    Doesn't always get tight on players, sort of lolls around. Rarely shoots but has an excellent shot on him. Supposed to be our play-maker but often the game passes him by while poor old Semedo is trying to do the work of two players. Always has excellent ball skills. Yesterday he read the game great, nice incisive passing, dribbled past players, tackled back and even marked up well on the edge of our penaly area. Where has he been all season!!!!
  • Options
    Credit where credits due he had a good game Saturday, just wish he would do it more often
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is the standard of performance we want....every week. Particularly when we are up against it on a cold day in the North, when the team is under pressure and we have to win the central midfield battle to win a point or three.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Tutt-Tutt[/cite]This is the standard of performance we want....every week. Particularly when we are up against it on a cold day in the North, when the team is under pressure and we have to win the central midfield battle to win a point or three.

So if he has just an average performance in the next game, as I'm sure will others, he gets slated.

Yes, he could be more consistent but that could apply to a lot of the team.
    He is, and always will be, a whipping boy.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mid_life_crisis[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Tutt-Tutt[/cite]This is the standard of performance we want....every week. Particularly when we are up against it on a cold day in the North, when the team is under pressure and we have to win the central midfield battle to win a point or three.

So if he has just an average performance in the next game, as I'm sure will others, he gets slated.

Yes, he could be more consistent but that could apply to a lot of the team.
    He is, and always will be, a whipping boy.
    im sure it comes down to being a pardew signing
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]His best game as an Addick IMO

If he did that every week he'd be awesome
    hed be in the championship at least.
  • Options
    It's nothing to do with him being a Pardew signing.

Semedo was a Pardew signing and he's a crowd favourite. It's more to do with him being inconsistent. I thought he was superb on Saturday, I just wish he could play like it more often.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    He is benefitting from having a good run in the side and i have seen him improve with every game, even against brighton he was not that bad in the context of the total team performance. I think he still has a bit more to give, getting in shooting positions outside the box and going for it, but Saturday was a great performance and may have been encouraged by the fact that his namke was being chanted thorugh out the game, maybe he will feel that he has been accepted by the fans and managment and that has given him the confidence boost to go on and make things happen.

Don't forget though that he is still a player murray has targetted to off load due to high wages.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]It's nothing to do with him being a Pardew signing.

Semedo was a Pardew signing and he's a crowd favourite. It's more to do with him being inconsistent. I thought he was superb on Saturday, I just wish he could play like it more often.
    to be fair if he consistently played at an 8.5-9.0 out of 10 level he'd have been picked up in the summer. I have to agree I wish he could play at a 7-7.5 every week.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]It's nothing to do with him being a Pardew signing.

to be fair if he consistently played at an 8.5-9.0 out of 10 level he'd have been picked up in the summer. I have to agree I wish he could play at a 7-7.5 every week.

Thats right god forbid we ever get anyone playing really well week in week out because they'll be off in summer.
    Lets just watch em trot about playing avergae but at least we'll still have em next season!!
  • Options
    Not bothered who signed who. The point is, that we want a consistent level of performance from all of the players to get us out of this division. Not every other week. Thats why we are in Division 3 in the first place.
    Racon played at a standard which was above recent performances. Central midfield is a key area of the pitch where games are often won and lost, and his performance went a long way to assist in winning the match....now do it week in and week out, home & away. I hope he plays as well at Swindon.

I'm sure Parky is drumming it in to all of the team. A similar level of performance at Swindon should get us 3 more points.
  • Options
    He was always in the thick of it on Saturday, his passing was top notch, he battled and tackled extremely well and for the first time in a long time looked a class apart. Some players will never look a class apart because they are not, but Racon has shown on Saturday and a couple of seasons ago that he can be. I think a big factor is that Jackson wasn't playing as an out and out winger and both Semedo and Racon had a bit more help. It isn't easy for any player if you have 2 players tight on you and I think when we play with 2 out and out wingers our central midfield can be outnumbered which probaly effects a skillful payer like Therry. The balance of the whole has looked so good and I'm hoping that this isn't another false dawn.