Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alex Song

I watched him destroy Wet Spam whilst listening to our game yesterday. What a fabulous player he has become. He strolls around midfield dominating play. Keeping it simple most of the time, then picking out beautiful defence splitting passes. Now he's scoring goals as well. It's the first time I've seen any midfielder outshine Parker this season.
I was priviledged to watch him play for us and now think he's developing into a world class player.

Comments

• Options
    Agree a fantastic player but a real shame about his hair style ;o)
  • Options
    Hes quality...
  • Options
    if we stayed up a deal was in place for us to sign him permanently. reportedly
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: coltsgoalie[/cite]if we stayed up a deal was in place for us to sign him permanently. reportedly

I'm surprised to read that. I understood Wenger always expected him to be a key player for them.

But I've named him in the other thread as the best player we've had in the last ten years. He's proved himself at top international level, which Parker for example has not, and Darren Bent is still trying to do. I particularly remember Watford away. If he hadn't had idiots like Lisbie to work with we'd have won that and probably stayed up. I always look out for him. Wonderful modern footballer.
  • Options
    Allready metioned the game at Watford away
    hes a fantastic player
    i would give him a good clap when he comes down to the valley
    when were back in the premiership or not
  • Options
    I don't think Alex would have joined permanently but I think there may have been a loan the next season had we stayed up. Alex was and is a great player, chuffed to see him doing so well at Arsenal, he thoroughly deserves it.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Was clear he was a very promising player at the time. Good mix of a technical, intelligent and physical player. Arsenal fans wrote him off at the time, funny that really as there are probably others they hyped up instead that didn't make it at Arsenal.
  • Options
    Told my Arsenal friend in March that in the next couple of years he'll become one of the best players in the world and the big European teams will be after him, he just laughed! Think i'll be proved right, all the Arsenal highlights/Champs league games I've seen this season they play through Song as much as Fabregas.
  • Options
    Saw him driving from the valley in what looked like a tank with the wheels still spinning even though they arent spinning...

I thought, that bloke is rich...

When i saw him play for us it was clear he was quality, and now with wengers "we make players, we dont buy them" approach he is on his way to being one of the best holding midfielders in the country and eventually europe...
  • Options
    Like many young players, think it took time for him to fully develop at Arsenal aswell as find a best position- always thought he may be a long term CB but CM is clearly his best. The loan spell obviously helped as did a manager like Wenger to show patience and belief when there were doubters.

Two years ago I went to an Arsenal game and he was seen as a bit of a scapegoat and phrases like "that was a Song pass" were used when someone fluffed a pass/move. This season went again and they love him, his name is sung and I think Arsenal fans realise they are a better side with Song in the team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it says a lot about the football sense of some of our fans that there were a fair few around, when we had him on loan, who didn't rate him and felt he wasn't good enough for us. He's developed brilliantly, as so many do under Wenger, and he'd grace most top European midfields now. Of course he doesn't run around as much as he might so he'd be no good down at the Valley.
  • Options
    Always appreciated him when he played for us and it was plain for all to see that he was gutted when we were relegated - what a contrast to some of our more recent loanees.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]I think it says a lot about the football sense of some of our fans that there were a fair few around, when we had him on loan, who didn't rate him and felt he wasn't good enough for us. He's developed brilliantly, as so many do under Wenger, and he'd grace most top European midfields now. Of course he doesn't run around as much as he might so he'd be no good down at the Valley.

Were there? I thought he was class. Good to see him proving it in the Arse starting XI.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]I think it says a lot about the football sense of some of our fans that there were a fair few around, when we had him on loan, who didn't rate him and felt he wasn't good enough for us. He's developed brilliantly, as so many do under Wenger, and he'd grace most top European midfields now. Of course he doesn't run around as much as he might so he'd be no good down at the Valley.

When I was halfway through your first sentence I thought you were going to praise our fans, something like 'I think it says a lot about the football sense of some of our fans that... so many spotted what a good player he was despite not yet being rated at arsenal'. Im surprised that you found the opposite because that wasnt my experience at all from talking to others, and song was probably the most highly rated loanee of recent times along with carson. I dont know how anyone could watch his performance in the 4-0 against west ham and not realise the kid was class.
  • Options
    I think some people were a bit peturbed because he was not a "crash and bash" merchant but, instead, liked the slow the game down and play the ball to feet.

Given how crap we were that season his style of play was always going to look out of place at times!

He was also a bit chunkier back then, he looks like he has slimmed down and got a bit more mobile as well.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]I think some people were a bit peturbed because he was not a "crash and bash" merchant but, instead, liked the slow the game down and play the ball to feet.

Given how crap we were that season his style of play was always going to look out of place at times!

He was also a bit chunkier back then, he looks like he has slimmed down and got a bit more mobile as well.

Please read the other Song thread!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sussex_Addick[/cite]
    When I was halfway through your first sentence I thought you were going to praise our fans, something like 'I think it says a lot about the football sense of some of our fans that... so many spotted what a good player he was despite not yet being rated at arsenal'. Im surprised that you found the opposite because that wasnt my experience at all from talking to others, and song was probably the most highly rated loanee of recent times along with carson. I dont know how anyone could watch his performance in the 4-0 against west ham and not realise the kid was class.

Well, maybe I just encountered an isolated bunch of morons but I certainly met a few people who couldn't see why Pardew had signed him but, as has been said before, we've always seemed to have an element of support who rate running power above and beyond any considerations of skill or guile.
  • Options
    Personally i thought he started the loan period for us fantastically, and then like the rest of the team faded as the season progressed. Still an excellent signing, and I rated him then as I do now, he just didn't maintain his same very high level of performance throughout.

Great to see him doing so well, though what the he'll has he done to his barnet?