Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

gomez at spurs

johnny boy talk me through thats has to be the most stupid goalie decision ever what the hell was he thinking

you tell kids to play to the whistle

if you aint seen it folks you will laugh for ever

Comments

• Options
    it was a penalty anyway , so justice eventually served

but ffs how thick are these players

PLAY THE WHISTLE
  • Options
    ref fucked up
  • Options
    Funny because it is Spurs, seems as though every time they play at Utd they get a dodgy decision somewhere.
  • Options
    yep he did nolly he fooked up big a proper but you play to the whistle them is the rules,

why did gomez pick it up run 10 yds and drop it down if it was a free it was where nani handled it not where gomez put it down
  • Options
    About to laugh/cry/shout at the telly...............
  • Options
    How the hell did he not give a free kick?
  • Options
    Funny !
    ;-0
  • Options
    cos he is thick it was so blatent that it was hillarious, the fact it happend to spurs though at ot again makes it more funny
  • Options
    Nani stopped the ball with his hand but does the ref have to give a freekick? Gomes has the ball in his hands, surely a simple 'play on' is acceptable? As far as I see it, goal.
  • Options
    What the hell??

Fair enough it's funny because it's Spurs and it didn't affect the result, and Gomez's mistake, but if that happened to Charlton you and I would be enraged at the referee for ignoring the handball.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Crazy!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stackitsteve[/cite]Nani stopped the ball with his hand but does the ref have to give a freekick? Gomes has the ball in his hands, surely a simple 'play on' is acceptable? As far as I see it, goal.

spot on gomez had the ball kick it down field and get on with it
  • Options
    Yet another example of farcical refereeing. How far is it going to go?! Everyone accepts it was a handball. As soon as Nani touches it there's no advantage so he should blow up and bring it back. A complete joke, Spurs or not.
  • Options
    maybe the ref sdidnt see it, but the lino did, from once the ref went to speak to the lino he has to disallow the goal, god knows what they said to each other clattenberg will be for the high jump
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]maybe the ref sdidnt see it, but the lino did, from once the ref went to speak to the lino he has to disallow the goal, god knows what they said to each other clattenberg will be for the high jump

Oh c'mon...Rio was the Ref !
    ;-)
  • Options
    Should've been two yellows for Nani.

One for the dive and handball

Second for kicking the ball away

Still, I understand the 'play to the whistle' stuff. Awful decision though
  • Options
    Sorry for my delay in responding, I've been busy rebuilding my TV which I broke when I threw my laptop at it when Clattenburg allowed that goal to stand ;-)

Yellow card for simulation.
    Yellow card for deliberate hand ball.

The lino put his flag up after Nani had scored to tell Clattenburg it was handball, you can clearly see him say "I know I know" when Gomes when over to him should have been enough to him to give the free kick and overrule the goal. The linesman had a better view. You cant ignore a handball. At no point did Clattenburg wave play on. Shrugging your shoulders when asked if its a free kick is not sufficient. The Spurs players got waved away yet Ferdinand is allowed to go over. That was wrong too. Absolute bloody liberty.

Its about time the FA/Premier League takes action against him. Just how many more dodgy decisions is he going to give against Spurs. We've had a massive decision go against us in each of our last 5 or 6 visits to OT.

Put it this way, if Spurs scored that goal there today, do you think it would have stood? Not a bloody chance.

[However, having said all that, if Gomes has bloody held on to the ball, we wouldnt even be going there would we? Fcuking idiot. But a loveable idiot and I personally wouldnt swap him for any other goalkeeper in the Premier League]
  • Options
    What Nani did was very very unsporting and any team would be livid if someone did that against them, but technically he did nothing wrong. The ref didn't give a freekick, so Nani broke no rules with the goal. Have to admit I was surprised by the keeper, if you look Nani glanced at the ref several times to check it was no free kick so Gomes can't say there was no warning.
  • Options
    The main thing that peed me off and does every time any player does it (like Weaver today) is that Gomez thought it was acceptable to take the free kick 10yds further upfield.

9 times out of 10 the ref doesnt take a blind bit of notice.
  • Options
    watched it again this morning and its still funny, i forgot clattenberg was the ref when mendez scored the goal that wasnt given at ot makes it even funnier
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just one rule for them another rule for everyone else.. Deliberate handball by that runt of the litter Nani, and spurs get shoved away yet Rio is ok to listen in and even vote on the best cause of action...

I understand that he played advantage, but for me... c**** the lot of them ... including spurs... f*** em all..
  • Options
    utd thought it was a pen.
    spuds thought it was handball.
    neither were given.

verdict: gomez is still a clown.
  • Options
    Sorry, but you just can't blame the ref for this.

1) He gave no penalty - rightly or wrongly (but that is irrelevant to the bigger question) - but when Nani handled it, there's no way Clattenburg could have seen it. The lino could have done but he didn't flag. Why? Because Clattenburg played advantage. Either that or the lino thought the ref had given a free kick already (as one of the lino's jobs is to alert the ref to anything he thinks the ref might not have seen, this is possible but means the LINO didn't play to the whistle)

2) When Gomes put the ball down and Nani stood over it, we can all see that Nani asks the question twice. Clattenburg is clearly showing that there's no free kick (complaining about it being only shrugging your shoulders is clutching at straws - the message was clear enough).

3) Giving the goal was the correct decision, though you could argue that Nani's actions were not in the spirit of the game, or you might equally argue that it was good opportunism.

4) The lino felt the need to inform Clattenburg of the handball at this point - this was a correct and, incidentally, brave decision by the lino. Regardless of his reasons for not flagging before, he decided that Clattenburg needed to know about the handball at this point - presumably because he felt the ref may have needed to make a different decision based on his own failure to flag. The important bits here are that the lino knew the ref didn't have all the information and that the final decision needed to be made by the ref, only when he had all the facts.

5) Players complaints were waved away, but Ferdinand was allowed to approach the conversation. Ferdinand is clearly repeatedly saying "You've given the goal" at this point. He shouldn't be there doing this, but this is a constant scourge on the game and no one is innocent, Spurs included. However, once again, complaining about this is clutching at straws. Spurs players had their say already anyway and Ferdinand only turned up at the end because the ref had gone to the lino so, as captain, he felt he needed to make his case.
    Personally I hate this characteristic of the game, but that's how it is. This is a non issue and complaining about this aspect of the situation is, frankly, pathetic.

6) Clattenburg, once the lino had informed him of the handball, had to make a decision. When the facts are considered, he gave no penno, waved play on, received no flag from the lino, Gomes ASSUMED a free kick, Nani asked the question, Ref responded by confirming play on (twice), Nani scores. If the lino had initially flagged for handball, Clattenburg's choices would have been to blow for a free kick or wave play on. Therefore, the decision to let the goal stand was correct.

7) Clattenburg's decision wasn't just correct, it was brave. The reason is that, contrary to popular opinion about how it wouldn't have been given at the other end, when you consider that Clattenburg was the ref when Mendes 'scored' in that previous game between these two sides, he would be VERY aware that this incident would be highlighted on tv over and over, regardless of which decision he made. If anything, he would have been more inclined to give the decision Spurs way to 'even it up'. Personally, I think he made the decision based on what he thought was right, and nothing else.

Who was at fault?
    Mainly Gomes, but possibly the Lino too.

PS Regarding 'Arry claiming that it should have been a yellow card - how many times do you see players grab the ball like that after a foul? Loads. Sometimes (like on this occasion) they do it when the foul isn't given. I have often seen the freekick for handball given in this situation, but I can't remember EVER seeing a player get booked for it. So why was this one so different? Maybe players should be booked for this, but at the moment that doesn't happen. Either book players for grabbing the ball like this or don't.
  • Options
    My reading of this was the ref could have given a penalty, then there is a delay and then Nani dives, when he does not get the decision the whole world knows he handballs it. Clattenburg is clearly seen saying no to the pen and then play on as Scholes argues with him, Gomez should have lumped the ball. Man Utd would rather get set ready for a freekick than have the game carry straight on and the man in black was simply trying to keep the game flowing, he could have booked Nani later the next time the ball went out of play. The real problem comes from not having the 30 second rule (or whatever it is) they have in Rugby.

Also is this worse than the decision at Anfield against sunderland?
  • Options
    But refs do sometimes allow the game to progress after a foul and if no advantage is gained give the original free-kick. That would have been the common sense thing to do here. The worst thing though is that he shooed away all the Spurs players and let Ferdinand stand there sticking his oar in throughout his discussion with the lino.
  • Options
    If he was playing advantage why were his arms behind bis back?

The lino clearly thought he had given a free kick.

The lino clearly told the ref it was handball & he chose to ignore this.

The ref is two bob & corrupt & should be sacked.

Gomez is guilty of stupidity.
  • Options
    i hard today all be it from a yid that the rumours are that clattenberg has a man yoo season ticket,, i cant say i believe it
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]If he was playing advantage why were his arms behind bis back?

The lino clearly thought he had given a free kick.

The lino clearly told the ref it was handball & he chose to ignore this.

The ref is two bob & corrupt & should be sacked.

Gomez is guilty of stupidity.

He had his arms behind his back to show no pen and then he holds his arms out to Gomez to say you have the ball.

[cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]i hard today all be it from a yid that the rumours are that clattenberg has a man yoo season ticket,, i cant say i believe it

I though he was a Geordie or from that area?

Still he is terrible though
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I've read all this and the emphasis on playing the whistle etc. However can someone answer this?

Nani was in an offside position rolling on the ground he then came from behind Gomez to nick the ball and slot it in.

If we were ignoring the various "offences" from earlier because we were playing the whistle why wasn't Nani given offside?

I'm no Spurs fan but that goal was given because it was Man U. End of!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite]the whole world knows he handballs it.

Except anyone who was unsighted. Like the referee in this case.