Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Getting David Cameron's views on Safe Standing

Stand up Sit down are trying to get the tories to commit to Safe Standing at football grounds. They've writen the piece on the Open Blogs section of David Camerons website, and the top 5 blogs, Cameron will comment on and give people an idea on Tory policy.

So go on via the link, and vote (you need to sign up) to ensure it becomes one of the top 5 blogs of the week, and we can hear what Dave thinks about re introducing terracing to football grounds.

Comments

• Options
    He won't know anything about football, or the debate, but will just say whatever he's advisors tell him the public want to hear.

I don't think there is a single top politician i have any time for at all at the moment, in any of the major parties. Think the next election will be the worst turnout in history.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]He won't know anything about football, or the debate, but will just say whatever he's advisors tell him the public want to hear.

I don't think there is a single top politician i have any time for at all at the moment, in any of the major parties. Think the next election will be the worst turnout in history.

It's time like this we miss David Mellor.............

JOKE!!!!
  • Options
    "I don't think there is a single top politician i have any time for at all at the moment, in any of the major parties. Think the next election will be the worst turnout in history. "

Totally agree, I have never known politics so governed by spin. The pattern seems to be, say what the voters want to hear and then do something totally different. The way we are steathly moving closer to a Federal Europe, I am sure that one day I will go to the cash point and will only be able to withdraw Euros.

I will not be voting ..................because no party is worth the effort of walking up to the poling office.
  • Options
    Cameron - do me a favour the bloke is a bloody joke.

He made this big deal of cycling to the office saying he was green and his bloody chauffered car was following him.

Get Caborn - who is a clown as well - to say something bearing in mind he is the sport minister.
  • Options
    I will always vote even if it is to spoil my ballot. use or lose it.
  • Options
    Just imagine you become PM having promised standing (presumably to get votes), then it comes in, then there's another disaster - all the blame comes back on you...
  • Options
    Caborn is feeling the heat on this, and there is likely to be an re examination of the regulation on all seaters soon.

I'm not a great believer in the 'Do nothing' mentallity
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I will always vote even if it is to spoil my ballot. use or lose it.[/quote]

It's a bit unlikely that the right to vote will be withdrawn due to not enough people voting. If anything the general feeling of disenfranchisement and low turnout may lead the politicians to act in a more democratic manner (e.g. following up on the policies that people voted for).

That said, the proles tend to believe whatever's in papers or ITV anyway, so maybe a benevolent dictator would be the way forward.
  • Options
    "I will always vote even if it is to spoil my ballot. use or lose it"

Seems a bit pointless but it is your democratic right. I am not sure that me going to the pub rather than the polling station would quite disolve our democracy..............
  • Options
    'safe standing' isn't that what all political leaders strive for at a general election ?...you might get him to respond but he's unlikely to say anything about football and more likely to acknowledge that its true, some seats are consistently more loyal to one party or another but he would never take his constitutents for granted...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    144 people have voted for this blog, hopefully a few more from here will help pump the numbers up further.

It may well spark the debate, at least it means Cameron won't be able to ignore the debate, neither will the government
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]"
    The way we are steathly moving closer to a Federal Europe, I am sure that one day I will go to the cash point and will only be able to withdraw Euros.

I will not be voting ..................because no party is worth the effort of walking up to the poling office.

uk independence party?
  • Options
    Do I sense the whisperings of another Charlton Athletic Supporters political party venture, but this time on a national scale?
    We need leadership, spin doctors, campaign managers, dancing girls, (oh sorry got carried away there), but mostly we need a manifesto.

Safe standing at football grounds is an obvious starter, but we need other vote catching matters, either football related or otherwise, that will make us a credible alternative to the current regime.

Personally I'd go with banning survey gatherers from town centres.

Any other ideas?
  • Options
    Whatever people's views are i think that we should bring back terracing,i know,i know all the arguments and so on but Why not make the coverend end lower terracing for 1 season to asses the impact if any. whats wrong with the home end,covered end being for terracing.Bet the atmosphere would increase, and enough people would be up for it, not sure about david cameron, remember that interview with blair on tv going on about watching newcastle he got it all wrong embarissing, but was he there or was he badly advised.So if there was a debate would cameron get it right, question is would the POLICE let it go ahead,they would probably have the final say.A shame the fans can't decide.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]144 people have voted for this blog, hopefully a few more from here will help pump the numbers up further.

It may well spark the debate, at least it means Cameron won't be able to ignore the debate, neither will the government[/quote]

Oh do me a favour mate! Please, that's either so very naive or else you're on a wind-up (in which case, fair play!)
  • Options
    Very naive, better go stick my head in the sand, never do anything, and then complain when it's too late.
  • Options
    You can either sit on your arse and complain, or you can do something.

Simple choice.
  • Options
    But David Cameron, I ask you!
  • Options
    Leader of the opposition, and leading in the polls.

I wouldn't vote Tory is my life depended on it, but if Cameron comes out and says he's interested in moving the debate on, the Government are so twitchy they'll jump
  • Options
    Oh right, thanks for the update on current affairs. And there was me thinking he was an ice-cream seller! ;o)

Seriously though, the thought of that man saying absolutely anything about football makes me cringe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    agreed, but some pressure is better than no pressure.

I personally think it will be fruitless, a politician will weigh up the potential positives against the negatives of backing such a campaign, and sadly there won't be enough that will be brave enough.

But i certainly won't knock anyone for trying.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]agreed, but some pressure is better than no pressure.

You try telling that to my bladder on the train home last night!
  • Options
    CAMERON COULD BACK RETURN OF FOOTBALL TERRACES
    By James Tapsfield, PA Political Correspondent

Terraces could return to football grounds under a Tory government, David
    Cameron said today.
    Mr Cameron said there was evidence that other countries managed to organise
    safe standing areas, and pledged to launch a review of the current strict
    regulations in the UK if he came to power.
    But he insisted the "first priority" must always be safety following the
    1989 Hillsborough disaster, in which more than 90 fans died.
    Answering questions from visitors to his webcameron site, the Tory leader
    said: "Obviously the first priority here has got to be safety after the
    dreadful events at Hillsborough. We really have to bear that in mind.
    "But I understand the point that other countries manage to organise things in
    a slightly different way, and there may be some more modern ways of organising
    the limited seating areas."
    "What I would say is that when we come into government I would ask the sports
    minister to review the existing regulations to take into account the views of
    the football authorities, the police, the clubs, the fans, and we will have a
    really good look at this."
    More than 100 MPs have signed an early day motion from Mike Hancock, Lib Dem
    member for Portsmouth South, calling on the Government to "re-examine the case
    for limited sections of safe standing areas".
    Currently football clubs in England's top two divisions are legally obliged to
    have all-seater stadia.
    Sports minister Richard Caborn - MP for Sheffield Central at the time of the
    Hillsborough disaster - has expressed his opposition to reintroducing terraces.
    But he has agreed to meet supporters of the campaign in light of support for
    the EDM.
  • Options
    pointless
  • Options
    It's a decent start, if Cameron is prepared to do a review, it forces the current government to do it and to review the options.
  • Options
    don't get me wrong - good luck to the campaign.

just don't expect anything to ever happen and you wont get too disappointed. once the politicians have milked the subject for all it's worth it will be dropped like a stone. the economics don't make much as it is, so even if the law did change would clubs really outlay the money needed for no material gain?