Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Coffee

edited October 2010 in Not Sports Related
I like 'real' coffee, tend to favour cafe nero, and don't like the others when out and about...but really don't like instant. However I haven't tried instant for ages, is there any instant that is any good, and tastes like filter?

Comments

• My girlfriend brought a De Longhi coffee machine for £200 recently. Expensive yes but well worth it.

Before that I was on the Nescafe Gold Blend and thought I was a coffee snob for not getting the regular instant stuff. What a fool I was!

However, now I have tasted the real thing every day, i.e fresh coffee in the vacuum sealed packs: Lavazza, illy, etc., all instant coffe tastes like Cackashitt!

Basically forget about instant freeze dried coffee - it's no good man. get your girlfriend to buy a good fresh coffee maker £150 upwards, anything less in price is rubbish (we tried a few).
  • I love the idea of having a really good coffee maker but I've never been able to actually go the whole hog and buy one. I use either a cafetiere or one of those aluminium stove espresso peculators. I don't bother with instant, if you want a quick coffee just use a mini cafetiere it's pretty much the same process.
  • General Charlton? Interesting.
  • Instant with 3 sugars does the job in the morning for me.
  • No substitute can be found. I'm a Cafe Nero fan as well. Buy my beans on-line, Dualit grinder and espresso coffee maker (ouch prices but they don't bust - espresso machine is 12 years old), electric milk frother and gingerbread syrup with sprinkles from hotel Chocolat. Total coffee snob and very comfortable with it.

http://www.discountcoffee.co.uk/rio-colombian-supremo-coffee-beans-4-kilos-p502
  • [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite] Buy my beans on-line,

I often spill my beans when I'm online.
  • Dreadful stuff, instant. I very seldom use it but when I do it would be Carte Noir.
    I buy 2/3 cups a day from a little shop in Torrington Place. £1.10/cup Best coffee in the West End
  • [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stilladdicted[/cite]Buy my beans on-line,

I often spill my beans when I'm online.

:-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]General Charlton? Interesting.

stop bein so busy
  • Spoilt over here - the coffee is one of the few things they do well - a bica (small strong esspresso) 60 cents, love it!
  • Sponsored links:

• always detested coffee..
    worked in New York for a while & ended up getting the taste for a vanilla latte from starbucks.. now its the only coffee i drink occasionally..

nothing beats a cuppa PG in the morning!
  • [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]Is there any instant that is any good, and tastes like filter?
    No. Instant's fine if you've never tried a proper coffee, the taste is incomparable.
  • A good instant
    Try tesco finest Brazilian blend
    very very good and only £2.70!
  • [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]A good instant
    Try tesco finest Brazilian blend
    very very good and only £2.70!

No, thats coffee light.
  • Mrs.M enjoys Douwe Egberts coffee filters but at £2.34 for ten they're not cheap.
  • [cite]Posted By: seth plum[/cite]I like 'real' coffee, tend to favour cafe nero, and don't like the others when out and about...but really don't like instant. However I haven't tried instant for ages, is there any instant that is any good, and tastes like filter?

Answer - no. As a few here have said, once you've tasted real coffee instant just tastes vile.

I use individual filters, like Rombouts, at work. I think Nero is the best of the coffee chains but they are all overpriced. (£2 mine cost today)
  • "Cafe Nero" or indeed any of the shitty multiples and "real coffee" don't belong in the same sentence.

A nice lavazza, delta or Illy without any milk, particularly frothy hot milk, mocha choca flakes or vanilla essence. Though, a nice cup o tea's better every time...
  • I have almost zero coffee palate, and I plan to keep it that way for the sake of my wallet!

It's like wine: when you buy the better bottle for a fiver more it's not just costing you an extra fiver, it's actually going to cost you a fiver every time you get a bottle because you can never go back. I actually quite enjoy Starbucks, and I'm content in my ignorance for now.
  • Instant coffee isn't 'real' coffee. The beans used in it (Robusta) are utterly inedible. If you brewed fresh coffee using Robusta it would taste like soap. Robusta is added to 'real' coffee in blends to make it taste earthier - any more than 50% and it tastes vile even to the most bitter-averse palate.

The reason instant 'coffee' is Robusta is because it's cheap, grows anywhere and contains about twice as much caffeine as Arabica beans. It also handles being freeze or spray dried better than Arabica does.

That said, the wife drinks instant, even though she's Sicilian (heresy!). She drinks Gold Blend, because whatever flavouring they put in it apparently (according to her anyway) makes it taste more like the real thing.
  • [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]"Cafe Nero" or indeed any of the shitty multiples and "real coffee" don't belong in the same sentence.

A nice lavazza, delta or Illy without any milk, particularly frothy hot milk, mocha choca flakes or vanilla essence. Though, a nice cup o tea's better every time...

I spend a lot on coffee beans and make my own espresso etc using a $1500 combo of a Gaggia Esoresso Maker and a top quality burr grinder.

I always buy the freshest roasted beans as possible. Coffee beans loses their lustre very rapidly post roasting .

The favourite roasters I have would mean nothing in the UK.

Producing a great coffee is an art and sadly none of the big chains, especially Starbucks over here, do it well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dolce Gusto

Wicked machine
  • I just think of instant as a completely different drink, approach it with that thought and it's drinkable.
  • [cite]
    Coffee beans loses their lustre very rapidly post roasting .

A bit like Carlton Cole did.
  • [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Dolce Gusto

Wicked machine

Does this machine make a mug of coffee? And is it hot heard they are not always. I was looking at the PHILIPS HD7814/60 BLACKSENSEO BLACK POD COFFEE MAKER which is only £29 at the moment at comet but i am not sure any ideas?
  • Last year when I was in Hamburg with my wife we visited a coffee roaster and tried this coffee. At 11 euros a cup it wasn´t exactly cheap, but then at least we can say we tried it.
  • Last year when I was in Hamburg with my wife we visited a coffee roaster and tried this coffee. At 11 euros a cup it wasn´t exactly cheap, but then at least we can say we tried it.

That links to a Wikipedia page on the world"
  • edited December 2010
    [cite]Posted By: kimbo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Dolce Gusto

Wicked machine

Does this machine make a mug of coffee? And is it hot heard they are not always. I was looking at the PHILIPS HD7814/60 BLACKSENSEO BLACK POD COFFEE MAKER which is only £29 at the moment at comet but i am not sure any ideas?

kimbo, i have this coffee machine and they have just recently started doing mug size pods! having one now, and you can get a whole range of flavours and strengths... also it leaves a lovely frothy head everytime which for me makes the difference. very easy to use and clean no nonsense coffee machine!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]"Cafe Nero" or indeed any of the shitty multiples and "real coffee" don't belong in the same sentence.

A nice lavazza, delta or Illy without any milk, particularly frothy hot milk, mocha choca flakes or vanilla essence. Though, a nice cup o tea's better every time...[/quote]

I spend a lot on coffee beans and make my own espresso etc using a $1500 combo of a Gaggia Esoresso Maker and a top quality burr grinder.

I always buy the freshest roasted beans as possible. Coffee beans loses their lustre very rapidly post roasting .

The favourite roasters I have would mean nothing in the UK.

Producing a great coffee is an art and sadly none of the big chains, especially Starbucks over here, do it well...Oakster

Serious money Oakster..........

My wife no longer drinks the stuff, as advised by her Homepath . I am still addicted to the stuff, gave up smoking in an instant, but this stuff is in another league.

Mind you at $1500 that might focus my mind.
  • [cite]Posted By: tom- k[/cite]Last year when I was in Hamburg with my wife we visited a coffee roaster and tried this coffee. At 11 euros a cup it wasn´t exactly cheap, but then at least we can say we tried it.

That links to a Wikipedia page on the world"

Sorry, try this Linky