Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Allegedly - The most misused word these days

I am getting so peed off with the misuse of this word lately. The main culprits are the BBC. I fully understand the law regarding prejudice etc and of course when reporting certain events, some things are allegations. However, and I'm sorry to go back to the Rugby Union Ulster thing again, the BBC's reporting of this now is ridiculous.
On both their website and their news reports last night they talk about the fan who was allegedly assaulted. There is no question he was assaulted, it is on film for all to see. Whether the player is charged is irrelevant, it bloody happened!
I remember similar cases recently. The shooting of a policewoman in a Travel Agents up north was described as an ALLEGED shooting. Ok during the trial the defendants were alleged to have carried out the crime, that's fine. But to call the incident itself an allegation is down right preposterous. It happened. She was shot. End of chat.
I have pointed this out on more than occasion to the BBC but they persist. Very lazy journalism.

Comments

• Good Point ! I take the word "alleged" meaning that it is one's person word against another because they were the only people to see it. If its on camera it cannot be alleged because we have all seen it. I thought these people were intelligent!

Another thing that gets on my nerves are football commentators, they refer to Arsenal's Tomas Rosicky as "Radzisky" It a hole different person. Muppets!
  • edited January 2007
    this thread could go on the "things that annoy me thread"

same as konchesky = konchelskis.....

things like that annoy me, a persistant lack of attention to detail. although i did say something stupid at lunch getting confused by two words.

something i hate is when people say to me "hi there, is that susan?" me: "its suzanne" they apologise, then splurge on for ages talking boolarks, then at the end of the conversation "ok, thanks susan, we'll be in touch"
    well, I won't be answering their call, as they can't say my name right, they obviously can't do a job right either.

I don't mind the initial mistake, but if i sign an email with suzanne, i expect a response with suzanne on it, not sue or susan!
  • DJ Dave is allegedly Chirpy:-)
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]DJ Dave is allegedly Chirpy:-)

Excellent use of the word in question Len!
  • It is so obviously Chirpy it's untrue.
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]this thread could go on the "things that annoy me thread"

same as konchesky = konchelskis.....

things like that annoy me, a persistant lack of attention to detail. although i did say something stupid at lunch getting confused by two words.

something i hate is when people say to me "hi there, is that susan?" me: "its suzanne" they apologise, then splurge on for ages talking boolarks, then at the end of the conversation "ok, thanks susan, we'll be in touch"
    well, I won't be answering their call, as they can't say my name right, they obviously can't do a job right either.

I don't mind the initial mistake, but if i sign an email with suzanne, i expect a response with suzanne on it, not sue or susan!

I'm glad I'm not the only person to find it annoying when people get my name wrong repeatedly.
  • edited January 2007
    totally glen lover! ;-)

don't even get me started on the variations on my surname!!
  • Ken, how can they get your name wrong, ken lover, its easy peezy marn
  • my surname has been in for a few over the years as it happens Suz, chadwick, craddock, Kodac all sorts!

Once i was in a huge cross country final, and my name was in the programme, they called me, get this,
    Olivier Chadwick! I was 15 year old schoolboy at the time, so all thge other kids loved that, not to mention the teachers!
  • What About Amos...?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]What About Amos...?

lol, very droll!