Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Media and "football"

Whats wrong with the game ? well at the lower levels its not helped one atom by the written press is it ? take this Sundays papers, no Prem or Chumps league so they could have done their bit to promote the other divisions-----could they bollox. Dont usually buy a paper unless we win but got 3 on Sunday and one the posh tabloids(yes i know) The Sunday Express managed to get all yes ALL the division 1 game reports in less than an 1/8 of a page-------------disgusting.

Comments

• Listened to spoony of all people a few weeks ago.
    A Lincoln fan rang up and i swear he was amazed anyone supported such a little crap side.Cue researchers in the background frantically trying to find anything Lincoln town related and getting most of what they did find incorrect.I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
    Football on it's arse!
  • It's touch and go if League 1 or 2 get a mention in the Sunday Times.

If we're lucky we'll get a line in the small box in the corner of page 12 of the Sport section.
  • What a lot of garbage. 20 years ago, would there be any TV coverage of the fourth division? Would there be anymore coverage in the papers? You'd probably not have even got the teams, it was attendance and scorers only. And, I rather suspect none of you lot gave half a shit about the "plight" of these sides when we were in the prem. If we want to attack the media do so for throwing good money at arserags like Spoony, Collymore and Lawro, not because they don't splash teams from the Blue Square on the front cover of their papers just like they never did in wonderful bygone days.
  • [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]What a lot of garbage. 20 years ago, would there be any TV coverage of the fourth division? Would there be anymore coverage in the papers? You'd probably not have even got the teams, it was attendance and scorers only. And, I rather suspect none of you lot gave half a shit about the "plight" of these sides when we were in the prem. If we want to attack the media do so for throwing good money at arserags like Spoony, Collymore and Lawro, not because they don't splash teams from the Blue Square on the front cover of their papers just like they never did in wonderful bygone days.

I disagree.

It is true that the top tier has always had the most press coverage but when I was a lad the Sunday papers would have reports and teams from all 4 divisions. As an example I used to find it fascinating reading about Hartlepools (as they were then) as they were invariably bottom of the 4th division or close to it (until Clough and Taylorcame along) yet had an international player in one Ambrose Fogarty. I wondered why Charlton didn't have an international but then Mike Bailey got picked for England.

The "classified" (Evening News and Evening Standard) which came out an hour or so after the Saturday matches finished contained reports on all the London Clubs not just those in the first division.

As regards TV coverage again the first division dominated but each lower division got some games on BBC's Match of The Day and even more on ITV's The Big Match which was filmed regionally.
  • MOTD had to show a certain number of Div 3 and 4 games a season.