Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Solomon Burke

RIP

Comments

• Options
    RIP. We saw him a few times at the albert hall with Jools Holland, a great voice.
  • Options
    He had 21 kids.....prolly had heartattack when Cameron announced child benefit cuts. :0(
  • Options
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    I was due to travel to Amsterdam early tomorrow morning to see the King of Rock and Soul in his concert with Dutch group De Dijk, promoting their new album together.

Saw him live 6 times, and I even got to meet him in 2007 and was really looking forward to seeing him again, there will never be another singer like Solomon Burke.
  • Options
    "Burke fathered 21 children (14 daughters and 7 sons),[9] had 90 grandchildren and 19 great-grandchildren."

90 grandchildren! That's nearly more than went to Tranmere!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I interviewed him for The Guardian eight years ago. During the intervew, he sat there with a whole cooked chicken, which he had devoured in its entirety by the time the interview had finished. He told me it was ''soul food''! !

Link to the interview here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2002/dec/20/artsfeatures.shopping
  • Options
    Like a previous poster, I saw him with Jools Holland and his 3 or 4 songs that night were absolutely stunning. He was the only artist I ever saw who could sit on stage on a throne and look like it was entirely the correct thing to do.

Looking at the stats for his descendants, I'd say he certainly spread some lurve in the world.

RIP a great man
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    There will be an hour of Solomon Burke's music in my radio show at 8pm tonight, www.solarradio.com and Sky channel 0129 - only competing with England football match!
    I first saw Solomon at the Bexley (Black Prince) Jazz Festival around 1967 - what a singer!
  • Options
    Clive, Soloman is a million times more impressive than any england team. Still got my Solid Gold Soul vinyl album on Atantic fromm 1966 which had a couple of tracks by him. RIP.