Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Allan Simonsen.....

2»

Comments

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCyvHIBSPV4

I saw this goal, view 10 seconds in. The ball was heading towards me before hit the net.
  • great player and the goal against Newcastle still stands out for me.
  • I'm sure that was the goal they just showed on that programme aswell
  • gonna have a look at that programme now....got to be better than Wendies v Blackpool !
  • I can just about remember seeing him play for Denmark against England at Wembley when he scored the only goal of the game.
  • Oh, how I'd love to have seen him line up with Stuart Leary.
  • edited February 2012
    Just for you SoundAs

imageimage
  • That's as close as it will ever get Nick........but I can dream I guess.......nice thought though, just imagine those two together...... whew!!!
  • Went to Wembley just to see Simonesen play one moretime.He scored the only goal of the game from a spot kick.Knock England out of the EK82.
  • Great player but as has been said before way ahead of the rest of the team.

If I remember correctly we let him go one game before we had to pay another instalment to Barca.

Even named my dog after him Simmo!, I miss him as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yes that was the goal against Newcastle on the video. Just a shame that the Chelsea goals aren't available anywhere...they were even better.
  • I remember one superb goal; can't remember who it was against. We were playing towards the covered end and I was on the East Terrace. He received the ball on the right with 2 defenders on him but struck the ball perfectly between the 2 of them and with the goalie unsited placed it perfectly in the top right hand corner. Sheer magic. Despite our situation at the time I am grateful for that memory.
  • Great memories for a 16 year old fan. Remember going to the reserve game, the Newcastle match that was so hyped only for Keegan to not show and Chelsea. Have the programmes still, I think Rotherham was another one.

Chelsea will always be my abiding, wondrous memory. Been mentioned above, but sure we went 2 up and Chelsea came back to 2-2 before half time. I remember thinking we'd get slaughtered in the 2nd half. One of the few times I stood on the old East Terrace (used to stand in the corner between the north & west), because I was with friends who had come to see Simmo.

Came out for 2nd half. Maybe I have romanticised this over the years, but I am sure the Chelsea fans did their "1 man went to mow" song and as they go to 10 men, where they all stood up & made a racket, Simmo went through from the half way line through their midfield & defence and scored! And then he did it again!!

Absolutely the best I have ever seen in a Charlton shirt (sorry Paddy, you're still my hero) and I walked home that day to Plumstead with my friends, with the biggest grin and in awe of what we had just seen.

Always got the feeling that the rest of the team were as much in awe and were staring on like us as fans...instead of getting on the end of some of the best passes we have ever seen!!

Superb :-)
  • Fantastic player. I remember him coming on as a sub in the reserve game against Swansea and producing a few electrifying touches. As others have remarked, the Chelsea game was a quite superb individual performance and all the sweeter for putting them to the sword.

As Lennie remarked, he was the sublime icing on the cake but unfortunately the cake itself was unsound ( or words to that effect ).

Although Simmo's signing generated some genuine excitement, the 80s was a nadir in terms of attendances in English football and the figures just didn't add up - not helped either by our losing his first home game against Middlesborough. I don't think that Barcelona saw a penny of the 300,000 fee.
  • If memory serves me right, when he left us he moved to the states to start a new career as an actor, got a cameo role in the hit comedy "Happy Days" and managed to get a spin-off series from it..............

Nanoo nanoo Alan..........
  • He was a great player but strangely could also look bad as he would play balls that the rest of our basically honest, hardworking but limited players simply couldn't read as they were light years behind him both in speed of thought and action. The apparent effect, to the less knowledgeable, was a poor looking pass to nowhere.

A great player but as the old saying goes there is no such thing as a free lunch and what a price the Club was to pay later....
  • I saw him and although he was undoubtedly the best I've ever seen so far, I haven't yet seen Bexley Dan so you never know...
  • I haven't yet seen Bexley Dan so you never know...
    Don't believe the hype, he's rubbish................
  • the man was superb he was the messi of his time even though we couldnt afford him it was nice while it lasted,remember the chelsea 5-2 game he tore em 2 pieces .
  • Brilliant footballer, not flash and had a great temperament. As said before, the Chelsea 5.2 is the stand out of his brief stay with us. He was absolutely unplayable!
  • Sponsored links:

• I got back to Chislehurst after the Chelsea game at about 6pm and walked into the Queen's Head for a beer. It was busy at the bar, and I leant over a mans shoulder to order. The guy turned around and it was Simmo. Me and a friend chatted to him for ten minutes or so while he finished his lager, about that days game, and the 7-1 defeat at Burnley a few weeks previous. I think he was worried about getting too many plaudits, but we supped up and left him in peace. Those Chelsea goals were his last for the club I think. Fantastic player, and still makes it into my all-time CAFC eleven.
  • http://www.thesefootballtimes.net/#!when-allan-simonsen-went-to-charlton/cg27

interesting read for those, like me, who are too young to remember him playing