Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anyone had experience with goats?

edited October 2010 in Not Sports Related
I'm thinking of getting a couple of pygmy goats, and was wondering if anyone has kept any type of goat and could educate me on the pro's and con's...many thanks.

Comments

• Options
    One word.................GUMBO!
  • Options
    Goats are sexually mature from 4 months old
  • Options
    The heart rate of goats is between 70 to 135 beats per minute.
  • Options
    I saw a bloke who had a face like a goat with a young Thai lady in Blackheath the other day. Jammy b*****d
  • Options
    My mate banged a goat once lol
  • Options
    You can milk goats........but only the females of course.

Was you really expecting serious answers on this site? :-)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Goats are hollow-horned, bearded, ruminant mammals of the genus Capra and the species Hircus. They are raised for wool, milk and meat. Goats are also used to make gelatin, the manure is used for fertilizer, they are used for research models in biological studies, they are used to pull carts and for pack animals.
  • Options
    Goats have 24 molars and 8 incisors, but have no teeth in their upper front jaw.
  • Options
    (Is this helping much?)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    NO
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There is only one man who know about Goats

would taht man please step forward

GUMBO
  • Options
    you could just google it
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: tangoflash[/cite]You can milk goats........but only the females of course.

Was you really expecting serious answers on this site? :-)

Im only having goats milk at the moment and can say its really quite nice.
  • Options
    Ok, no laughing, but Ive kept goats....if you buy them as kids, be prepared to have to look after them pretty much 24/7 until they are about 6 months old.....only ever buy them in pairs, i.e. 2 females and make sure you dont have any yew trees that the goats can get to....otherwise they wont be live goats for very long. They become very attached to their owners, so dont take buying them lightly as they will need a lot of attention and care...especially if they are kept in a smallish garden. They can be a lot of fun...youd be surprised how high they can jump and what they will climb.......we found one of ours on top of the garden shed when she was a kid....I still cant think how it managed to get up there. Hope thats of some help.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]Ok, no laughing, but Ive kept goats....if you buy them as kids

Ok, no laughing, but Ive kept kids ......... one now lives with her boyfriend, and the other still has a bedroom in the attic.
  • Options
    Dave Mehmet is your man, though he tried to deny it in court.
  • Options
    I could make a comment about my ex wife here, but I am resisting
  • Options
    Everyone sing:

"High on a hill stood a lonely goat herd ......(yodel)"
  • Options
    Where is GUMBO?!?!?!?!
  • Options
    Our Granny kept goats. If you plan on milking them, share the job early as they get used to it & then only produce the milk for them. They're stubborn wee things!

I love em!

My dream, to own a goat farm in Lesbos.

Maybe one day, maybe not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ha ha, she said Lesbos :-)
  • Options
    I think the competition for running a Lesbo goat herd in Lesbos might be a bit fierce, let the dream go KB'sLS. There are plenty good men for you on here. Ok, there are plenty good men elsewhere.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]

I love em!

Lesbos.

Maybe one day, maybe not.

something you want to share KB
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]Ok, no laughing, but Ive kept goats....if you buy them as kids, be prepared to have to look after them pretty much 24/7 until they are about 6 months old.....only ever buy them in pairs, i.e. 2 females and make sure you dont have any yew trees that the goats can get to....otherwise they wont be live goats for very long. They become very attached to their owners, so dont take buying them lightly as they will need a lot of attention and care...especially if they are kept in a smallish garden. They can be a lot of fun...youd be surprised how high they can jump and what they will climb.......we found one of ours on top of the garden shed when she was a kid....I still cant think how it managed to get up there. Hope thats of some help.

Great stuff...many thanks. Could have Googled but wanted an emotional and personal take on it. As I stated will be getting a pair (females) as I know they get lonely. Have a quarter acre so hoping this is enough. Will treat them as my children, a lot less trouble and by what you say unconditional love.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]Where is GUMBO?!?!?!?!

Last heard of high on a hill with a lonely goat herd .....?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Telnotinoz[/cite]Ok, no laughing, but Ive kept goats....if you buy them as kids, be prepared to have to look after them pretty much 24/7 until they are about 6 months old.....only ever buy them in pairs, i.e. 2 females and make sure you dont have any yew trees that the goats can get to....otherwise they wont be live goats for very long. They become very attached to their owners, so dont take buying them lightly as they will need a lot of attention and care...especially if they are kept in a smallish garden. They can be a lot of fun...youd be surprised how high they can jump and what they will climb.......we found one of ours on top of the garden shed when she was a kid....I still cant think how it managed to get up there. Hope thats of some help.

Great stuff...many thanks. Could have Googled but wanted an emotional and personal take on it. As I stated will be getting a pair (females) as I know they get lonely. Have a quarter acre so hoping this is enough. Will treat them as my children, a lot less trouble and by what you say unconditional love.

1/4 acre will be fine, but if you get them young enough, you'll be able to put them on a lead and take them out to the park....if youre brave enough!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: conza-cafc[/cite]My mate banged a goat once lol[/quote]

This ain't him is it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/4748292.stm
  • Options
    We had a goat when i was kid (pun intended). Anyway within 6 months it had turned our overgrown forest of a garden into into sparse wasteland. It ate everything including the washing on the line. It's poo are tiny little pellets so very easy to clean up after it. Also chased (played with) anyone who went in the garden and finally started ramming the back door to try and get in the house. I'd love a goat now but it's a big responsibility.
  • Options
    MCSMCS
    edited October 2010
    Well my good mate knows about goats, he went from repro operator in a Peckham peinters to pig and goat farmer in in Newcastle in a very swift year!! 'Goats on the roof' has really kicked off an is really busy which for my pal I am well pleased for, check this linky

Goats on the roof
  • Options
    Our goat hung itself. True story.