Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CROWN CURRENCY EXCHANGE

edited October 2010 in Not Sports Related
I've got £750 worth of Euros due from this mob on 20th October and it looks like they have gone into administation

Looks like I could have lost it all.

Barclays Bank say thay have frozen their bank accounts 'to protect the creditors' so all may not be lost but once the tax man has taken his cut I doubt there will be much left.

Used this site on the recommendation of MoneySupermarket.com.

So beware of this type of company if you are after foreign currency. You might get a good rate but you also may lose the lot.

If there is anyone out there with any information about CCE that could help me get my money back I'd be pleased to hear from you.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Thats a bugger. I'm a Travelex man myself.
  • Options
    How did you pay for the Euros? Was it by credit card or a Visa debit card? Might very well be ableto get the lot back if it was.
  • Options
    I usually just go to Thomas Cook or Marks and Spencer. Never seen the point in paying up front to get a half decent rate when difference just appears to be marginal. You'd have to be buying £000's of euro's or dollars to make any real difference
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that mate.

I doubt many people used credit cards because it would be seen as a cash advance but would be covered if they had used one.

Ace fx in London Bridge/Canary Wharf do excellent rates very close to spot and it's all cashed there and then. A bit late now but could be worth using in future.
  • Options
    I always get mine from a moody little currency exchange shop round the corner from my work. Always has a better rate than the main banks/exchange companies.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear this WWTone

I use Thomas Exchange in Victoria Street, always very competetive rates.
  • Options
    Moneycorp is the best.
  • Options
    Alex, the victoria street exchange is well known as giving the best rates in central London, hence the large queues all day. Used it many a time.
  • Options
    Tone, if you did not buy on credit card, you may get some help from the legal firm

Norfolk and Chance.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]Tone, if you did not buy on credit card, you may get some help from the legal firm

Norfolk and Chance.

LMAO
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Doesn't look good, I'm afraid

Telegraph Article. I always use cash machines unless I'm heading for anywhere well off the beaten track. Know it's more expensive, but flexible
  • Options
    I've used an internet company called "ICE" - International Currency Exchange - their rates are usually the best. When I worked in London I used to use a little place near Euston station.
  • Options
    Cash machines are generally closer to the spot rate than what you might exchange in advance. Though you should always take some cash with you as if you are stuck with airport or hotel rates you will be bent over and given a good seeing to. This also applies if you are caught or suspected of smuggling drugs, 1905 told me.
  • Options
    I would never trust a currency compant to deliver the goods, even if you have used them before, find somewhere that you hand over cash and they hand it back. ICE are probably closely associated with CCE, or similar, build up trust, plenty of incoming trusting punters cash then do one.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]I've used an internet company called "ICE" - International Currency Exchange - their rates are usually the best. When I worked in London I used to use a little place near Euston station.

I wouldn't use them. I used my bank card to buy euros with them last year and my account was frozen.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]I've used an internet company called "ICE" - International Currency Exchange - their rates are usually the best. When I worked in London I used to use a little place near Euston station.

I wouldn't use them. I used my bank card to buy euros with them last year and my account was frozen.

If you mean ICE, I've used them for at least the last three years with no problems, but I will heed your warning and be careful next time I need some currency.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]

Oh, okay - I've used them for at least the last three years with no problems, but I will be careful next time I need some currency.

Whoosh!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]

Oh, okay - I've used them for at least the last three years with no problems, but I will be careful next time I need some currency.

Whoosh!

Oh dear! I see what you did there. Nurse, time for another one of my tablets!
  • Options
    Mehmet, your account was frozen due to your fondness for young Llamas. Has the court case happened yet?
  • Options
    Thanks for all the comments.

ICE are in some way connected with CCE I believe so be wary of them too.

Thanks for the tips of where to get money. Not too late as I stilll need some.

If anyone hears of any developments I'd be pleased to hear about it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I posted this on moneysupermarket.com. two and a half years ago ;-

Two companies doing the same thing are registered for this address. I decided not to use them as you have to pay up front for money ordered for August. If the company goes bust, you have no comeback. Glad that it has worked out OK for some, but a tad too risky for me.

Not looking good for you TBH. Moneysupermarket has gained a name, but I've been very wary of some of its advice for quite a while now.