Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Plymouth vs Charlton (9/10/10) - Preview, Poll, Views and News

WSSWSS
edited October 2010 in General Charlton
A welcome win (the first outside London this season) in the not so prestigious Football League Trophy on Tuesday saw Charlton progress in the competition but that matters not when we travel down to Plymouth on Saturday. The league is where our priorities lie this season and our away form to date has been dreadful – especially for a team with aspirations to join the ranks of the Championship.

Many would’ve predicted our upcoming opponents to be “there-or-thereabouts” this season yet they have wobbled – especially at home. They have played 5 games at home this season and only won once and lost on three occasions. They have also only had a single clean sheet all season.

Any other set of fans armed with those stats would feel confident about going into this game, but not us. After a dreadful 90 minutes against Brentford last Saturday where the team looked devoid of ideas, creativity and a cutting edge, the trend looked set to continue on Tuesday for the first half. And then Kyel Reid got into the game.

The left winger is (quite worringly) our only player who seems to be able to turn games on their head in recent weeks and the other players need to step up to the plate. It was encouraging to see Kyel play 90 minutes against MK Dons, something that he has not been able to do effectively in a Charlton shirt in my opinion. It’s a given he starts at Home Park along with Scott Wagstaff who seemingly has the ability to do not a lot and then pop up and score. If only he could get his crossing up to scratch.

The central midfield pairing of Semedo and Racon will continue as will Lee Martin just behind one of Benson or Abbott. I thought Pawel put in a decent shift on Tuesday and would like to see him and Benson start up top together but I just can’t see Martin getting dropped for one reason or another.

We saw a glimpse – in my view – of the preferred centre back partnership in Fortune and Dailly and I’ve got no doubt that the fitness, calmness and ability of our club captain will see him retain his place for the long trip South (with Doherty feeling “a bit fluey”). And yes, Jackson and Francis will start.

It would be great to get a second away win on the trot and it would nicely lead into our first big game of the season the week after against Brighton. It’s Charlton though, and it’ll be tough. I can’t see more than a draw I’m afraid. 1-1.

Also, don’t forget to get your raffle ticket to win some great prizes and in turn raise some much needed cash for the Charlton Upbeats: http://www.justgiving.com/charltonupbeats

Come on you reds!

Comments

• Options
    Plymouth aren't very good and reading a forum of there's after their defeat by Hartlepool they were as bad as us on here!

Really hope we start the game as we did vs Dagenham, passing it quickly, early crosses put them under pressure as with their home form they may crack with their supported start booing them BOOOO
  • Options
    Im going to be optimistic here 3-1 win to charlton, same team as tuesday for me but benson up front with abbott would be nice

Wss slightly harsh on waggy imo, certainly on tuesday he did well and looked a threat in first half when reid was quiet. then turned into the reid show which he still managed to pop up with a goal. i agree he does come in and out of games but i think partly due to tracks back alot and he is not as big an impact as reid

COYR!!!!!
  • Options
    don't see anything other than a 2 or 3 - 1 defeat sadly
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Plymouth aren't very good

Problem is, neither were Brentford/Dag & Red/Tranmere/Exeter
  • Options
    After Plymouths home defeat by Hartlepool and our much improved performance at MK Dons on Tuesday there's every reason to be optimistic.

Concerns for match will be that after losing at home to Hartlepool there will surely be a reaction from the home team, we can relate to how they must be feeling after some abject performances against "weak" opposition.

Also Charlton will most likely look to play football and this will give Plymouth an opportunity to do the same encouraging an open match.

If we reproduce the second half performance at MK we will most definately win the game, but consistancy has been an issue and with Charlton never guaranteed.

We know what Charlton are capable of on both sides of the coin but at worst we will get a draw but going for a 2-0 win.
  • Options
    We will either win lose or draw that's for sure but I feel a nil nil bore of a draw.
  • Options
    I'm feeling optimistic too and an away win must be due - especially against a side thats doing so poorly at home....I'm up for a 2-1 win (initially going behind). In fact I'd take a re-run of Tuesday's game!
  • Options
    Plymouth can't win at home & Charlton are inconsisent, not only from match to match, but over the course of ninety minutes. (First half at Brentford - conference team, second half - better but still average. First half at MK - average, Second Half - very good).

1-1 draw.
  • Options
    This is charlton, our expectations raised by an almost meaningless win in mid week, only to be dashed by a very meaningful defeat in the league on saturday.
  • Options
    optimistic, gone for a win but more than happy with a point, think we'll keep it tight aslong as fortune/dailey continue at the back, with reid playin a full 90 on tuesday will he manage another full 90 on sat??
    2-0 charlton - never troubled (hahahaha)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2010
    sitting just 2 points above the relegation places,plymouth are utter jank but seeing as how we have an ability to be able to make everyone look much better than they are,plymouth will be looking forward to this game very much.

last week without the ref,fans of llera to blame, everyone was left puzzled as to whose fault the debacle could actually be this time. but a victory on tv may have earned the players a liitle extra belief in their own abilities.

generally i would be going for the charlton win as the standard of the opposition has been about or possibly worse than my vets league and it wouldn't need too much of a brain to be able to get easy wins.but somehow we just play for about 20 minutes out of the 90 which isn't the brightest tactics to employ though i'm sure someone on here will see the positive in that.

home win for plymouth but only because the opposite of my predictions keeps coming in and i do want us to win.

25 -0 to plymouth
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Charlton win

Starting my assault on Plymouth at 8am tomorrow :(
  • Options
    Not looking forward to this one bit, probably has something to do with going by coach. I can see either 0-0 or to make my day complete, we will be 4-1 up by half time and the ref to call it off for waterlogged pitch.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Nicholas[/cite]Not looking forward to this one bit, probably has something to do with going by coach. I can see either 0-0 or to make my day complete, we will be 4-1 up by half time and the ref to call it off for waterlogged pitch.

I've told you......'special soft drinks' on the coach will see you fine. :-)

Only worry on the coach is if you get the Grim Reaper as a driver. :-0
  • Options
    Great not only am I gonna be miserable on the coach i'll probably be fearing for my life aswell oh well nice knowing you all :)
  • Options
    "After Plymouths home defeat by Hartlepool and our much improved performance at MK Dons on Tuesday there's every reason to be optimistic."

You poor deluded fools.

We are rubbish this season and can't score more than one in the league at home. Even worse away where 4-2-4 is even more inappropriate.

Plymouth already know our one and only useful tactic. Give it to Reidy and hope for a decent cross.

0-0 or 0-1 defeat.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: grumpyaddick[/cite]"After Plymouths home defeat by Hartlepool and our much improved performance at MK Dons on Tuesday there's every reason to be optimistic."

You poor deluded fools.

We are rubbish this season and can't score more than one in the league at home. Even worse away where 4-2-4 is even more inappropriate.

Plymouth already know our one and only useful tactic. Give it to Reidy and hope for a decent cross.

0-0 or 0-1 defeat.

Can see where you get the name from grumpy :) Tell me one Charlton fan that isnt deluded we all are thats why we support Charlton!!
  • Options
    Plymouth is always a hard place to go. They also have that winger, Noone, who looked really good against us last season when on loan at Exeter. I was mightily relieved when they took him off early at The Valley!

Noone will be up against one Simon Francis so I can see us conceding. The question is whether we can score as many or more than we concede.

Sadly I think not and can see us losing this 2 or 3 nil.
  • Options
    I've gone for an optimistic draw, really can't see us winning there but hoping to be surprised.
  • Options
    A draw I think and not a thriller of a game, I reckon Abbot may get one if he plays but there's only ever going to be one winner of Noone vs Francis! Hopefully Johnny and Dailly are up to the task though, as MK showed us we are not alone in our shitness currently, if we want this one it's there to take.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For once I haven't got a clue.

It depends which Charlton turns up.

Or may be they will both turn up for different halves.

I usually have a strong instinctive feel about whether or not we will win (even if it's more often than not wrong).But the current side has me totally mystified and are so inconsistent that even reading tea leaves, mood music or how loosely Parky has knotted his necktie are no longer reliable indicators of how we will play!!!

So for no other reason than wishful thinking I'm saying 3-1 to Charlton. Surely there has to be one game this season in which we stomp all over the opposition when nobody expects it. So why not Saturday?
  • Options
    At last signs of some improvement during the last 45 at Milton Keynes but we have witnessed too many false dawns for me to be optimistic. God only knows what Charlton will turn up for this one. Hope for a win but can see no further than another shambles. 2 - 0 to Plymouth
  • Options
    im goin with a 2-0 Charlton win. Goals from Abbott 18' and Sodje 88'

Elliot, Francis, Fortune, Dailly, Jackson, Waggy, Racon, Semedo, Reid, Abbott, Benson

Lets hope that the 2nd half comeback against the Dons will help our men in red gel a bit...
  • Options
    Just seen this on the OS. Martin has a dead leg, so that might solve Parky's problem of fitting Reid, Wagstaff and Martin into the team. Can see him making the bench.

Good news the other 3 are close to returning, especially Anyinsah.

Parkinson has one new injury worry to contend with after Lee Martin picked up a dead leg on Tuesday night.

However, Joe Anyinsah, Matt Fry and Alan McCormack are all close to returning from injury and could be in contention to feature at Home Park.

"Joe, Matt and McCormack are all close fitness-wise after missing Tuesday with niggles," confirmed Phil. "Lee Martin has a dead leg so we'll assess him on Friday morning."
  • Options
    As Home Park is a fortress for away teams, i'm going for a 2-1 win to the addicks! Hopefully we see a good performance than last weeks mess up. I'm taking the journey from Broadstairs, staying round my uncles in London on Friday night so it's easier for me to get up. Getting coach from Charlton. Hopefully it's going to be a happy day!
  • Options
    undecided like many others so i will sit on the fence for a draw
    elliot
    francis dailly fortune fry
    wagstaff semedo racon reid
    abbot benson
  • Options
    If Super Joe A plays up front with Abbott we will win FACT.
  • Options
    Nice write up WSS (dick)

Pretty much go with ooh aah line up i think we desperately need to make it stick up top a little more and with martin up there it comes back far to easily.

The whole midfield except reid need to be more with it and we can come away with a result.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCJames1994[/cite]As Home Park is a fortress for away teams!
    For that reason alone I'll go for a Plymouth win. If you want to turn around a bad run get Charlton in.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: CAFCJames1994[/cite]As Home Park is a fortress for away teams!
    For that reason alone I'll go for a Plymouth win. If you want to turn around a bad run get Charlton in.

ain't that the truth.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!