Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Quick quiz: What shape is a .....

edited October 2010 in Not Sports Related
..... a 50 pence piece?

Without looking at one, or looking it up/googleing it.

a) Pentagon
b) Hexagon
c) Heptagon

The reason I ask is because my son had to draw shapes for his homework and write their names next to them. We got him to draw around a fifty pence piece and write one of the above answers next to it - but the bloody teacher has marked it wrong (even though he was right - we got him to look it up in at check it in a dictionary ffs!).

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Without looking- heptagon-7 sides!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]..... a 50 pence piece?

Without looking at one, or looking it up/googleing it.

a) Pentagon
    b) Hexagon
    c) Heptagon

The reason I ask is because my son had to draw shapes for his homework and write their names next to them. We got him to draw around a fifty pence piece and write one of the above answers next to it - but the bloody teacher has marked it wrong (even though he was right - we got him to look it up in at check it in a dictionary ffs!).

It has seven sides (well, nine if you include the 'heads' and 'tails'), so that makes it a heptagon ..... but ....

... the reason your son's teacher has marked it wrong is that a true heptagon has seven straight sides. Those on the 50p piece are curved.

Pedantic? Teachers?

Maybe
  • Options
    5, 6 and 7.
  • Options
    It has seven sides (well, nine if you include the 'heads' and 'tails'), so that makes it a heptagon ..... but ....

... the reason your son's teacher has marked it wrong is that a true heptagon has seven straight sides. Those on the 50p piece are curved.

Pedantic? Teachers?

Maybe

Nope, a 50p coin is a heptagon. A regular heptagon has seven straight sides. The 50p and 20p coins are curved making them Reuleaux heptagons (but still heptagons).

Us lawyers are more pedantic than teachers :)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Jints[/cite]Nope, a 50p coin is a heptagon. A regular heptagon has seven straight sides. The 50p and 20p coins are curved making them Reuleaux heptagons (but still heptagons).

But not much cop at geometry :-) A regular heptagon has seven straight sides of equal length, with equal interior angles.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Jints[/cite]

Pedantic? Teachers?

Maybe

Nope, a 50p coin is a heptagon. A regular heptagon has seven straight sides. The 50p and 20p coins are curved making them Reuleaux heptagons (but still heptagons).

And I believe that I said a 50p piece is a heptagon ... and I then went on to explain why I thought the teacher would have marked it wrong. Perhaps my error was to use the popularist term 'true' rather than the more accurate 'regular' on the basis that one might mean more to readers of this thread than the other.

Looks like I can be even more pedantic than a lawyer.

:-)
  • Options
    Do you need a job? ;)
  • Options
    Fellas, fellas - let's not get into who's the most pedantic on here!
    ;o)

The point is that we all seem to agree that it has seven sides and is therefore a heptagon of one description or another. Either way, it certainly isn't a "Hexagon", which is what the silly beetch wrote after crossing out my son's work. This woman is supposed to be teaching my son about all sorts of sh*t, AND SHE CAN'T EVEN COUNT THE SIDES ON A SHAPE PROPERLY.

I tell ya, if I wasn't going to be a pauper when i get taxed on my missus' child benefit then I would think about private school!
    ;o)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Not fair, Off_it.

You didn't let on at that start that she had claimed 'hexagon'. Merely that she had "marked it wrong".

I now reserve the right to change my reply based on this new information.

Maybe it was a shit drawing?
  • Options
    sounds like a snide money to me.

I got some dodgy scores at the moment if you need to draw a rectangle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dave Rudd[/cite]Maybe it was a shit drawing?
    Bloody hell Dave, there's blunt and then there's utterly tactless. You'll be calling his wife ugly next.
  • Options
    Chaps, a seven year old drawing around a 50 pence piece is never going to be a Rembrandt - it's not even going to be a David James. I realise that, even if it was the work of my cherished offspring. But equally it wasn't a spiders web either.

The woman just can't count or else, perhaps even worse, she actually thinks that a seven sided shape is a hexagon. Either way, with something as basic as "draw a shape" you'd think she'd know the names of shapes with up to, say, 10 sides and be able to count them properly. It doesn't look good I'm afraid.

Am tempted to "mark" her markings and send it back with a "F - must try harder" comment. I'm sure that would go down well!

As for my missus, I didn't realise you'd met her ali !
    ;o)
  • Options
    why let your son do it? Should have got the Ball Boys to do it for him.

: - )
  • Options
    So if your son drew a house without perfect straight lines she's probably say it wasnt representative of the technical specifications of whats needed to build a real house...she deserves a slap?
  • Options
    I think the red card may have come into play on this one!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]why let your son do it? Should have got the Ball Boys to do it for him.

Believe me , I DID ask - but apparently they were VERY busy. I did think of emailing the fans rep to see if they could help, but forgot that we haven't had one of those for three or four years now - not since that "Doris from Maidstone" bird.
    ;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]why let your son do it? Should have got the Ball Boys to do it for him.

Believe me , I DID ask - but apparently they were VERY busy. I did think of emailing the fans rep to see if they could help, but forgot that we haven't had one of those for three or four years now - not since that "Doris from Maidstone" bird.
    ;o)

Bit unfair on Dave Rudd and his time with the Fans' Forum. Forgotten so soon ; - )
  • Options
    And I would just like to go on public record to say that my previous post WAS a joke.

Henry knows that I have nothing but undying love for him really.
    ;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]And I would just like to go on public record to say that my previous post WAS a joke.

;o)

One of my client's told me today I was a "god like figure" which I think was a compliment unless he meant I look like Buddha.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]And I would just like to go on public record to say that my previous post WAS a joke.

;o)
    I dunno, what with DaveMehmet propositioning Carter, and Carter's response, and now this, I'm starting to worry that Charlton Life is having a strange effect on you guys.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]

;o)

Bit unfair on Dave Rudd and his time with the Fans' Forum. Forgotten so soon ; - )

Fair enough.

You're only as good as your last Q&A.