Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England squad

I thought i was seeing things but no there he is in the list of strikers. Kevin Davies!
And what on earth have Glen Johnson, SWP and Joe Cole done to deserve a call up. And Rooney for that matter.

SQUAD:
Ben Foster (Birmingham City), Robert Green (West Ham United), Joe Hart (Manchester City)

Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), John Terry (Chelsea), Stephen Warnock (Aston Villa)

Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Joe Cole (Liverpool), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Tom Huddlestone (Tottenham Hotspur), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham Hotspur), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Ashley Young (Aston Villa)

Darren Bent (Sunderland), Peter Crouch (Tottenham Hotspur), Kevin Davies (Bolton Wanderers), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)

Comments

• Options
    Darren! Excellent.
  • Options
    Kevin Davies is a Heskey type player that can finish. Woulld have like to have signed him in the prem.
  • Options
    I'm going this but dont want to see Rio or Terry at Centre Half, or Cole or SWP in Midfield.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Kevin Davies is a Heskey type player that can finish. Woulld have like to have signed him in the prem.[/quote]

Only after Allardyce converted his style of play! he was awful at blackburn, soton and millwall.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]I'm going this but dont want to see Rio or Terry at Centre Half, or Cole or SWP in Midfield.

id have terry but stick with Jagielka
  • Options
    Lescott? Has he even been playing?
  • Options
    If not Kevin Davies then who?

Defoe is injured, Heskey has retired...

I can't think of a decent experienced striker who England can call on.
  • Options
    Following England is nearly as frustrating as following Charlton! Very similar.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]If not Kevin Davies then who?

Why do they have to be experienced? Rooney, Crouch and Bent have enough experience at the top level, why cant it be a young exciting striker?
  • Options
    Carroll should be in there given the absences of Defoe, Heskey, Agbonlahor etc.

Offering a 33 year old a chance of a first cap when there are youngsters out there that may carve out a decent career for themselves at the top level is poor in my opinion
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Luke Varney shoudlve got called up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dizzle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]

Why do they have to be experienced? Rooney, Crouch and Bent have enough experience at the top level, why cant it be a young exciting striker?

Such as?

This isn't a friendly where you could blood a U21 or give a run-out to someone.
  • Options
    In all honesty though whoever it is would be 4th choice in a game against Montenegro, who aside from Vukcevic, Vucinic and Jovetic are pretty dire. Whoever it is, in the absence of an injury crisis is effectively a token pick. I'd rather that was a youngster than a bloke who will never get to double figures in england caps.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]If not Kevin Davies then who?

If you think Kevin Davies is good enough for international football then we really have no hope. After the world cup debacle we're supposed to be looking to the future, building for the next Euro's and beyond that the 2014 world cup. Kevin Davies is 33 and relies on the long ball, he is not an international footballer.
  • Options
    If you think Kevin Davies is good enough for international football then we really have no hope.

No, my question was who else is there?

Agbonlahor, Zamora, Walcott. Defoe are all injured, Heskey has retired.

Other than those called up I can't think of a single decent striker that is English and has a bit of experience. Maybe Andy Carroll? Shola Ameobi? Carlton Cole? None of whom have set the world alight this season, you might argue that Davies hasn't either, but he's fit and he'll do a job until one or more of those injured returns.
  • Options
    Isn't Benson English?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Eddie Firmani[/cite]Isn't Benson English?

lol very good
  • Options
    I would play Ashley young up front personally.
  • Options
    its total kak that how come Benson didnt get in it ?
  • Options
    Agreed Carroll should get the nod IMHO. Looked ok this season + has played for under 21s so it should be the natural progression we are looking for. Funnily enough I rate Davies, not the best player but he puts himself about the pitch and is a handful. Not England quality though. Why the he'll are we picking a 33 year old over a promising youngster like Carroll. And why is Parker not in the squad again!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Offering a 33 year old a chance of a first cap when there are youngsters out there that may carve out a decent career for themselves at the top level is poor in my opinion

Spot on, we want players that might play for us in the Euros - Carroll or Zamora (if fit) should have been picked over Davies
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    We dont seem to have a "Beckham" generation coming through and so after Lampard, Gerrard etc have retired I would struggle to say who would be definite regulars in an England shirt in 3-5 years.

However i think this will actually work in our advantage. The golden generation had a lot of pressure and expectation on them and they bottled it. Their hype in the media almost has meant that the team has picked itself. Logically also it is unwinnable for cappello...even though they were complete flops in the summer it is hard to actually not put your Terrys, Gerrards and Rooneys in a team that you see as your strongest.

I am really hoping that this low level of expectation and realism continues for the next generation, whomever they may be, as they will be hungry and fight for the right to fight for the shirt and have to prove it in performances. The manager will then be able to pick the squad of players he sees best in the system that works and not feel obliged to select individuals because of their marketabilty or luvvie status in the media.

Egos will be left at the door and Wags will be non existent and hopefully our Great Hopes in White will do better than their unachieving predecessors.
  • Options
    Capello is quoted as saying Bent is the future for England and that he's been training very well - he scored in his last game and he should play a big part in England's future.

Don't tell me the penny's started to drop to people that he's a bloody good goalscorer?!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]We dont seem to have a "Beckham" generation coming through and so after Lampard, Gerrard etc have retired I would struggle to say who would be definite regulars in an England shirt in 3-5 years.

However i think this will actually work in our advantage. The golden generation had a lot of pressure and expectation on them and they bottled it. Their hype in the media almost has meant that the team has picked itself. Logically also it is unwinnable for cappello...even though they were complete flops in the summer it is hard to actually not put your Terrys, Gerrards and Rooneys in a team that you see as your strongest.

I am really hoping that this low level of expectation and realism continues for the next generation, whomever they may be, as they will be hungry and fight for the right to fight for the shirt and have to prove it in performances. The manager will then be able to pick the squad of players he sees best in the system that works and not feel obliged to select individuals because of their marketabilty or luvvie status in the media.

Egos will be left at the door and Wags will be non existent and hopefully our Great Hopes in White will do better than their unachieving predecessors.

excellent post that. you have your one or two 'stars' like rooney and the rest should be good hard working players that dont rate themselves higher than other people do. the germans have had that type of side for years.
  • Options
    I like the look of Wiltshire, he can play. Give the likes of him a few years we could have a team on our hands.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    In a couple of yearshe should be on the scene, but has anyone thought about Daniel Sturridge?

- In a couple of years both Anelka and Drogba will be getting on a bit and looking ever closer to retiring. Yes Chelsea will replace one if not both of them but he'll be learning.
    - He is playing with great players now and learning all the time and he has a decent record for the Under 21s.

Just thought I'll put that one out there.
  • Options
    Sturridge has an attitude problem apparently. I like the look of the other new player - Machlarane or whatever his name is - English too.
  • Options
    Sturridge has an attitude problem apparently. I like the look of the other new player - Machlarane or whatever his name is - English too.
  • Options
    Last night on that World Cup programme, Scudamore was starting the hype for the next generation (Wilshire was the only name he mentioned, but he said there were lots of players). Get ready for more of the same sort of thing.
  • Options
    We have a lot to be hopeful for: Hart, Milner, Adam Johnson, Walcott, Rodwell, Wilshere, Phil Jones are all likely to get substantial amounts of caps for England to name but a few... maybe they'll have the mentality and morality to outgun their predecessors - a few of them certainly talk a good game for such young heads and only one of their number has had any bad press as of yet unlike your Rooney's, Terry's and Lampard's etc who had massive public outings in their youth.