Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Can England win the next World Cup?

Lineker Doc tomorrow evening.

Simple answer is probably, Yes, in the same way that we could be wiped out by a meteorite strike before then.
Is it likely?
I think most people have swept the appalling mess of (and its root causes) WC 2010 under the carpet.

Have there been changes implemented to the structure of the English game?
Will Burton centre be ready to produce changes in time for 2014?
As T Brooking says, We need more skill better coaches and a willingness to change.
Anyone seen any of this?
We already know England has 2,679 coaches holding Uefa's A, B and Pro licences: Spain has 23,995, Italy 29,420 and Germany 34,970.
Thats a long way to catch up.

How many times do we have to hear this type of quote from Carlos Alberto
"Unless you change your whole approach to football, nothing will get better." before something actually happens?

Meanwhile football fans focus on their respective Brentford's, hoping that someone somewhere will fix the mess in time for the press- (and souvenier salesmen-) orchestrated hype that 2014 will be 'our' year

Comments

• Options
    Unless the way we coach our players from kids football in the park down changes we won't win the World Cup in this generation. We are better off looking at how if we can win the World Cup in 2022 than now, however even I feel this is a bit too soon. 20 years ago Spain transformed how they coached their young players, both those who were good enough to go into professional football & those who just had a kickabout on a Saturday morning. In doing so they have developed a generation of players capable of winning the World Cup, as we have just seen. Germany have also embarked on a whole new approach to coaching in the last decade and we could already so the benefits that has reaped this World Cup, Ozil, Kroos, Muller. Personally I could see them being unstoppable in Brazil. However I can't see us doing any better there than we have done in South Africa and I'd prepare for a lot of hype and a lot of disappointment.
  • Options
    we will never win a world cup in my lifetime we just aint good enough
  • Options
    With Harry Redknapp as manager yes.

Similar to Venables, not FA material, bit of a marmite man but seems to get results.
  • Options
    with 22 whingeing englishmen. Not a cat in hells chance.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]we will never win a world cup in my lifetime we just aint good enough

I don't know how old you are, but I don't think it will happen in my lifetime either!
  • Options
    No chance. Only Brazil or Argentina will win the next world cup.
  • Options
    World class players, bring in the kids, better coaching, change the manager. Same shit/different day. The answer's no. England has only every won two games against sides that have won the world cup, at finals. That stat won't change much.
  • Options
    The Germans will win the next Euros and the next World cup
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yea Germans are a good shout based on some of their younger players performances, but personally I reckon its gonna be Brazil at home in the Maracana
  • Options
    Zero chance of winning the World Cup in 2014, regardless of who is manager.

Given the above statement, I hope Redknapp is appointed when Capello leaves in 2012.

At most one World Cup semi-final between now and 2030 in my opinion. But that won't change what the media say.
  • Options
    On in half an hour - could be interesting - our 'arry is on it
  • Options
    Yeah will be interested to hear what he has to say.

Could be another clough though and be overlooked.

Cant believe Sam Allardyce's name is always banded about. Capello is a fantastic manager undoubtedly but i think the England manager should be English and think Redknapp is the main contender.

Would mean more to win it with an English manager than with a Sven or Capello I think.
  • Options
    With you on that Rodders
    Could he be a successful Venebals, I wonder
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]World class players, bring in the kids, better coaching, change the manager. Same shit/different day. The answer's no. England has only every won two games against sides that have won the world cup, at finals. That stat won't change much.[/quote]

Not true, we've beaten the Germans, French & Argies at the finals. Possibly more?
  • Options
    shearer was livid
  • Options
    More chance of seeing Lord Lucan riding Shergar down Sidcup High Street.
  • Options
    IAIA
    edited October 2010
    That was absolute garbage. I can't remember a single comment by an English pundit that I agreed with, apart from maybe the hypocrisy of criticising clubs for playing foreign players when the manager and assistants are Italian. Mourinho, Klinsmann and the German journalist made some useful comments (more foreigners obviously good, so...).

At the end, Lineker said 'it'd take time', and brought back the lesson of the long-term plans at Germany, Spain and France, but didn't say what needed to be said (ie nothing will happen in the next 15 years, but if we start now, maybe in 20 years' time). It then went to a montage of pundits saying that England will be in with a chance of winning in 2014.

It's what sells papers and earns advertising revenue for the TV, but total jank.
  • Options
    saying england will win the next cup, is like saying charlton will win the league by 15 points this year : ),
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No even if we had the skill and talent (not likely) to win it our mental strength lets us down....
  • Options
    I thought Mourino and Klinsmann made some excellent comments

And the hopeful comparison that if the Spanish can turn it round in a decade, then we should be able to.
  • Options
    We should forget the next world cup, where the media will no doubt be hyping up Jack Wiltshire as the best player in the world. We need to look long term and get Burton built. Trevor Brooking has many great ideas which the powers that be at The FA seem hell bent on blocking.
  • Options
    Adreed Friend, thought TB came across very well.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]I thought Mourino and Klinsmann made some excellent comments

And the hopeful comparison that if the Spanish can turn it round in a decade, then we should be able to.

But the Spanish have always had the basic skills which our players lack.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]

It certainly seems so, but they won nothing for over 40 years until the changes.
  • Options
    stated everything we have all been saying about the english game. Teenagers with 60k range rovers , bentley and so on , do you think they give a shit as long as the 20k a week is on the doorstep ?
    They appear to be more intrested in Z list 'pop star' girl friends, snorting coke, night clubs, cars, thier ego's,, do I need to go on ?
  • Options
    Given enough time, the right circumstances and a slice of luck, yes.
    Then again given enough time and typewriters monkeys would come up with a Shakespeare play.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LawrieAbrahams[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]I thought Mourino and Klinsmann made some excellent comments

That's why it took them eighty years to win the world cup, obviously... Or are you saying they are born with the skills, in which case all the previous posts about the standard of coaching in Spain are not really relevant.

Fact is they have a lot of good players at the moment, their coaching set up is obviously working. That said I did not particularly enjoy watching them during the world cup, and football is ultimately an entertainment industry after all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: andyaddick[/cite]stated everything we have all been saying about the english game. Teenagers with 60k range rovers , bentley and so on , do you think they give a shit as long as the 20k a week is on the doorstep ?
    They appear to be more intrested in Z list 'pop star' girl friends, snorting coke, night clubs, cars, thier ego's,, do I need to go on ?

I am sure the Spanish players are on the same kind of wages Andy, but they seem to be able to still look like they give a toss on the field... And maybe we are being a bit unfair, after all we don't get to hear in the British press/media what Spanish players get up to in their own country, and the headline grabbers are actually few and far between when you get right down to it - the tabloids make a one day story last a month, so it seems worse than it is.