Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Man City - What??

Spent £133 million on wages
Total turnover - £125 million

Even playing field?
How can this be good for the game?
Why isnt there a framework in place to control this?

Comments

• Options
    I'm not sure we can judge. What's our wages/turnover ratio?

There is a framework in place to control this, but it's being phased in over a few seasons. The UEFA Financial Fair Play rules will ban clubs from UEFA competitions if they don't break even over a season. We won't know how strong this regulation is until it's tested by clubs like Chelsea, Real Madrid and Barcelona. If UEFA ban one of those big clubs for breaking the financial rules, then the rule could be a success. If they flake out, then there's nothing.
  • Options
    I suspect that the clubs will structure themselves in such a way as to meet the Eufa rules. For instance if the club finances need to break even then a separate company could own the players and pay them, with he club paying a lease fee for use of the players.

I am sure that whatever happens they won't catch big clubs
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I suspect that the clubs will structure themselves in such a way as to meet the Eufa rules. For instance if the club finances need to break even then a separate company could own the players and pay them, with he club paying a lease fee for use of the players.

I am sure that whatever happens they won't catch big clubs

Third party ownership is only allowed if you're West Ham.

That's the problem with all regulations. Abramovich could buy a signed shirt from Chelsea and pay £100m for the pleasure. And it's only as strong as the regulators. If it's Man City that are the first to be checked, then there could be some value to the new rules. If it's Barcelona (and as far as I can see, both are well foul of any 'fair play' regulations), then maybe not.

Better to change the incentives rather than the regulations, but the former is much more difficult.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I suspect that the clubs will structure themselves in such a way as to meet the Eufa rules. For instance if the club finances need to break even then a separate company could own the players and pay them, with he club paying a lease fee for use of the players.

Would that not fall under 3rd party ownership!?
  • Options
    The big clubs will find ways round this. What's to stop City's owner paying in extra cash as a sponsorship of some kind to help them break even?
  • Options
    I know we have had player wage cap discussions on the forum before, but surely this is the only answer to make the game fairer for all?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I suspect that the clubs will structure themselves in such a way as to meet the Eufa rules. For instance if the club finances need to break even then a separate company could own the players and pay them, with he club paying a lease fee for use of the players.[/quote]

Would that not fall under 3rd party ownership!?[/quote]

To be honest i had not thought of that when I wrote it, however (ans I am not sure I can coherently express this) there was the Cardiff situation earlier this year wher they had brought Hudson from us but the debt was owed to a finance house, so technically the player was owned but cardiff but his value and therefore the value on the Profit and Loss buit not the balance sheet would be lower than true value.
  • Options
    See their support half filled the stadium for a European night against juve
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]I know we have had player wage cap discussions on the forum before, but surely this is the only answer to make the game fairer for all?[/quote]

isn't the problem here employment law and restraint of trade and also enforcement?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Floyd Montana[/cite]I know we have had player wage cap discussions on the forum before, but surely this is the only answer to make the game fairer for all?

isn't the problem here employment law and restraint of trade and also enforcement?

Only in a small way. Wages can be regulated although you may all wish to read up on the new Equalities Act that came into force today ; - )

The real issue is that the owners of the big clubs don't want any system that limits their spending that gives them less of an advantage over everyone else and if we were owned by Abramavich or the Mansoods (sp) many of us would think well, "tough".

It's not good for football in the long term but it's great for Man City and as a business Man City, and united and Chelsea and Arsenal and QPR and Huddersfield care only about their own business and what advantage they can gain.

The UEFA system is a start but it has already been condemned as "anti-English" for the reasons above and as said we wait to see how creative the accountants at the big clubs are and how rigorously UEFA are in punishing Barca or Real as well as Man U or Chelsea.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Harveys Trainer[/cite]See their support half filled the stadium for a European night against juve

35,212 is a bit more than half